National turn-out was 36.6%, the lowest since 1940
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:04:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  National turn-out was 36.6%, the lowest since 1940
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: National turn-out was 36.6%, the lowest since 1940  (Read 4046 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2014, 06:16:05 PM »

Source: http://www.electproject.org/2014g (it'll probably go up a bit with ballots from California still to come in)

Turnout was less than 30% in 6 states: Indiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah
Turnout was more than 50% in 6 states: Alaska, Colorado, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Wisconsin

Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2014, 06:34:52 PM by New Canadaland »

50+% turnout wasn't enough to help in quite a few of those states. Probably olds voting in big numbers. Even in the highest turnout states youth turnout is probably abysmal. What are American kids learning about in civics these days?
But less than 30% is insane. Republicans couldn't have had good turnout in those states either so if even just half of non-whites in Texas voted the TXGOP might actually lose a down ballot statewide race for once.
Compulsory voting anyone?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »

This is gut-wrenching.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 06:29:17 PM »

Junk election, indeed.
jd1433
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2014, 06:36:09 PM by jd1433 »

It's important to at least acknowledge that midterm national turnout is often just as much a function as to how much the public perceives competitive races as anything else. Just having one more state than normal that has neither a Senate or Governor's race up in a given cycle will have a pretty large effect on the national turnout number.

Comparing competitive state turnout this year vs. historical percentages for presidency or prior competitive state races is probably a more effective metric to gauge such a thing.

Also states like Texas and California had at least mildly competitive Governor/Senate races only 2-4 decades ago. Not any more. A lot of rational people don't even bother when they already know the outcome.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 06:37:01 PM »

What's up with 1940 actually? It was a presidential election and at a time when the lower classes were being mobilized by FDR and the new deal. Is that just when turnout started being recorded? Or was 1940 not the election I thought it was?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 06:43:17 PM »

Holy CRAP. What in the world could cause someone who voted in 2010 to sit out in 2014?!
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 06:44:28 PM »

Good to see the Upper Midwest to continue to have strong turnout!
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 06:46:27 PM »

Indiana is such a disappointment of a state.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 07:03:21 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2014, 07:12:31 PM by wormyguy »

What's up with 1940 actually? It was a presidential election and at a time when the lower classes were being mobilized by FDR and the new deal. Is that just when turnout started being recorded? Or was 1940 not the election I thought it was?

1. The South had extremely low turnout due to restrictive voting laws and being very uncompetitive. (In those days, Democratic primaries were the real elections and had higher turnout than the general).
2. Roosevelt was very unpopular due to the double-dip recession, court-packing, running for a third term, and his obvious desire to involve the US in WWII.
3. Despite that, Republicans had close to zero enthusiasm for Wendell Willkie, quite possibly the worst major-party presidential candidate of all time. (It's not really stretching the truth too far to characterize him as a Democratic plant). Also, almost all the Republican state party organizations had practically ceased to exist during the 1930-36 wipeout, and they had only just begun rebuilding party infrastructure.
jd1433
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »

Holy CRAP. What in the world could cause someone who voted in 2010 to sit out in 2014?!

Simple: Your senator, governor, etc. was locked into a tough fight in 2010 and wasn't in 2014?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »

Simple: Your senator, governor, etc. was locked into a tough fight in 2010 and wasn't in 2014?

But what states were that the case? Very few. In 2010 for instance, Georgia wasn't competitive in any race. This time both were competitive (at least supposedly), and turnout there DROPPED.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 07:18:24 PM »

But what states were that the case? Very few. In 2010 for instance, Georgia wasn't competitive in any race. This time both were competitive (at least supposedly), and turnout there DROPPED.

Could the weather have something to do with it? I remember bad weather affecting Georgia in particular on election day.
jd1433
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »

^^As said above that is the type of info that actually means something. The national turnout numbers have to many other details that impact them in midterms for them to be as useful of data as state specific turnout comparisons.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »

50+% turnout wasn't enough to help in quite a few of those states. Probably olds voting in big numbers. Even in the highest turnout states youth turnout is probably abysmal. What are American kids learning about in civics these days?
But less than 30% is insane. Republicans couldn't have had good turnout in those states either so if even just half of non-whites in Texas voted the TXGOP might actually lose a down ballot statewide race for once.
Compulsory voting anyone?

We don't take a civics class in high school in Mass., not sure about the rest of the country.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 08:12:11 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2014, 08:23:14 PM by angus »

They ran one hell of a campaign.  Mostly negative.  I'm still getting stuff from the anti-Brayley crowd.  Just got one today.  I'd estimate that in the past two weeks I have received ten mailers.  None were in support of Ernst.  All were against Brayley.  I'm surprised that as far out as two years and four months since I moved from Iowa to Pennsylvania, I'm still receiving stuff from them.

I'm no fan of Brayley.  I didn't vote for him when he was my congressman, and always voted for whoever ran against him--Brayley is the one who sponsored Cash For Clunkers, after all, and a whole bunch of other idiotic bills.  Also, his nephew really rubbed me the wrong way the one time I had to meet him and spend about half an hour with him for reasons unrelated to politics.  Anyway, I'm sure I'd have voted for anyone who ran against him except for (maybe) Hitler or Stalin, but it seems to me that all the negative campaigning would have diminished turnout, rather than increasing it.  And I just figured that was the strategy.  Diminish it enough and the challenger wins, right?  That's the American Way.  More Dollars doesn't mean more votes for your guy, but it means less votes for the other guy.

Iowans do vote, though.  They're very square.  I never met so many farmers with PhDs as I did when I was in Iowa.  Very agro, very well educated, and very practical.  That's Iowa.  So don't read too much into the large turnout relative to other states.  What in other states might be considered a large turnout in Iowa might be small still, and if that is the case, then the negative strategy worked.

Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 08:14:23 PM »

I noticed that the more competitive the state was, the higher the turnout.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 09:15:06 PM »

That tends to be the case Tongue
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »

That tends to be the case Tongue

Guess I had to be Captain Obvious. I tend to be like this when I feel sick.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 10:56:05 PM »

Jesus Christ. Our boring municipal election which was a sure thing had a higher turnout.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »

I doubt a Presidential election was the previous lower one.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 11:35:32 PM »

God, this makes me so happy to be an Australian because the elected officials actually represent the public they stand for. I mean in Texas, Abbott won with roughly 16% of the electorate actually voting for him. The state of American politics is shameful, the apathy or even laziness needs to die.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 11:38:57 PM »

And we claim to want to spread democracy throughout the world.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 02:58:08 AM »

That's even lower than in the EU elections this year (43%) ... Tongue

MN once again stands out positively, even though they didn't really have any close races like the other high-turnout-states.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »

I doubt a Presidential election was the previous lower one.

You would be correct to doubt it. It seems Lief misread the table - it was actually 1942.

It's not surprising to me that it was lower this year than in 2010. In 2010 you had voters who were angry and motivated, in 2014 they were more cynical. I am surprised that turnout was as low as it was though.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies