Louisiana, Mississippi, and Kentucky
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:11:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Louisiana, Mississippi, and Kentucky
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Louisiana, Mississippi, and Kentucky  (Read 965 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »

It's not too early to start looking at the 2015 Gubernatorial Races in these three states.  Have any candidates announced, yet, or who do you expect to run and win in these races?
KCDem

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »

Republicans win all races by double digits. Not much to discuss.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »

lol, gotta love your morph.

But yeah, probably true. Dems might be able to keep Kentucky within single digits.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:46:05 PM »

But yeah, probably true. Dems might be able to keep Kentucky within single digits.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think Conway wins next year. The Kentucky GOP primary looks like a clown car, especially if Bevin gets in the mix.

Mississippi is (obviously) Safe R and I think we lose Hood finally. Louisiana will probably be an easy Vitter win, but based on what I've read (and heard from Miles) he'd probably be an upgrade over Jindal.
KCDem

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 08:48:47 PM »

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think Conway wins next year. The Kentucky GOP primary looks like a clown car, especially if Bevin gets in the mix.

Mississippi is (obviously) Safe R and I think we lose Hood finally. Louisiana will probably be an easy Vitter win, but based on what I've read (and heard from Miles) he'd probably be an upgrade over Jindal.

Unless the Democrat is up by 10+ in the polls (and over 50%) in Southern races from now on, he or she will lose.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 09:40:32 PM »

Kentucky is a toss-up to start. PPP had a poll this past summer showing Conway leading 4 possible opponents by margins of at least 3 points.

Louisiana is Safe R unless Mitch Landrieu (D) runs.

Mississippi is Safe R no matter what.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »

KCDem is right. Looks like there's a big silent majority of angry old whites in Southern states these days that reflexively vote against every Democrat.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 09:52:43 PM »

Kentucky might be winnable as we held our own in their House and most statewide officers are still Democrats, but it will depend on nationalisation.

The other two are write-offs.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »

I think there's actually a good chance at holding Kentucky for Democrats. The GOP primary will be incredibly bloody with Heiner spending millions to try and beat Comer. Cathy Bailey already said she's "95% sure" she's going to run as well, and Bevin just might to which would turn this into a "Who can be the bigger clown/more conservative?" primary. AFAIK, all of them support right-to-work, and polls have shown Conway up against all of them. It will take a lot of work and fundraising, but as long as Conway runs on Beshear and the state exchange, I can see him actually winning this.

For Louisiana, as Wulfric said, I think only if Mitch Landrieu runs can that seat be won. Otherwise, Vitter is the obvious frontrunner and LA has the runoff that would ensure his victory.

As for MS, as much as I would love to see Bryant unseated, it's out of reach. MS's strongest possible Dem, Jim Hood, already declined and Childers obviously won't run either. The most interesting thing out of that race will be a possible Tea Party primary to Phil Bryant, but Bryant's too powerful to be defeated in a primary or the general.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 10:01:23 PM »

Kentucky is a toss-up to start. PPP had a poll this past summer showing Conway leading 4 possible opponents by margins of at least 3 points.

You know who else was leading PPP polls this past summer by margins of at least three points?

Michelle Nunn, Charlie Crist, Kay Hagan, Paul Davis, Greg Orman

RIP ever trusting polls Sad
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 10:22:42 PM »

All incumbents (including Hood) reelected in Mississippi with little fanfare.

Democrats have a shot to take over the Mississippi House, but will probably fall short. Senate will stay pretty close to 32-20 R.

Probably a very boring election.
KCDem

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »

Democrats have a shot to take over the Mississippi House, but will probably fall short. Senate will stay pretty close to 32-20 R.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hood losing. Southern Democrats are being hunted down like rabid dogs. RIP Hood.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »

Kentucky is too un-Southern and too urban to be a write-off. If the Democrat hits hard on the "right-to-work" business, it helps.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hood losing. Southern Democrats are being hunted down like rabid dogs. RIP Hood.

Hood's won 60-40 in Republican landslide years before ('07, '11). It's certainly not impossible or implausible that Republicans could finally take him out this year, but I wouldn't bet on it. They never can find a good or even reasonably decent candidate.
KCDem

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »

Hood's won 60-40 in Republican landslide years before ('07, '11). It's certainly not impossible or implausible that Republicans could finally take him out this year, but I wouldn't bet on it. They never can find a good or even reasonably decent candidate.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree if it weren't for the fact that Southern White Democrats are being rounded up and taken to the woodshed. Hood=Obama now.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »

2015 does not equal 2014. That being said, Democrats have an uphill battle in Louisiana and Kentucky. Jack Conway is not a good nominee, if they could get John Yarmuth to run he'd probably do better, but Conway is nevertheless at least even with whoever the Republicans put up, especially since their primary is looking to be a slog. Lousiana also could end up being a slog of a Republican on Republican battle, while Democrats could recruit Mitch Landrieu (who, if he runs, would be in a decent position).

In Mississippi, I'm gonna take a leap and say Attorney General Jim Hood may be in trouble, if Governor Phil Bryant (like many a Republican as of late) gets big coat-tails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies