in other good news, GMO labeling loses in OR and CO
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:33:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  in other good news, GMO labeling loses in OR and CO
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: in other good news, GMO labeling loses in OR and CO  (Read 4545 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »

Yes, we don't want to give consumers this info because in likelihood they will choose GMO-free food and that would be awful for society.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 10:40:53 AM »

Yea, how is this bad?  I'm not saying GMOs are inherently bad, but what's wrong with giving people information?  Is there something tangible we can compare this to? 

GMOs are seen as "scary" and this would provide no benefit to consumers. It would needlessly stigmatise an important innovation in food production. It's a dumb idea.

Okay, I can see both sides to this then. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 10:51:29 AM »

Yes, we don't want to give consumers this info because in likelihood they will choose GMO-free food and that would be awful for society.

Exactly. As we know people are terrible, and this would be terrible for starving people who need more food to be produced.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 01:26:33 PM »

Yea, how is this bad?  I'm not saying GMOs are inherently bad, but what's wrong with giving people information?  Is there something tangible we can compare this to? 
It's sort of like nutrition labels.  There comes a point at which there are diminishing returns in including more information.  Even there, government action is more intended to provide a standardized format for the info some consumers desire so as to make it easy to locate.  In the absence of any demonstrated harm to people from eating GMO products, requiring products that contain them to note that seems like overkill, especially since producers are free to trumpet the fact their product is GMO-free if they want so there already is a de facto labeling of GMO products going on.  The situation is similar to BGH in dairy products, or more generally with organic foods.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »

yah but mah nfomashun!

(FTR I actually hate responses like that so take that as me making fun of those kinds of posts more than anything)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 12:47:32 AM »

At least these weren't vaccine measures, right? The tin foil hats can climb back into the trees.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 03:04:04 AM »

Yes, it would be nice to know if a product contains GMO, but labeling requirements are likely to place significant costs on food production, given current practices, so there ought to be a compelling reason for this

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/05/gmo_food_labels_would_label_laws_in_vermont_maine_connecticut_increase_food.html
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »

Good.

My problem with the "why not inform consumers?" argument is that there are a ton of pieces of information available about the production of every consumer good.  We have to leave some of them up to supply-and-demand, because otherwise we'd have to have a giant booklet with every consumer good.  The reason GMOs are targeted for labeling is because there's this weird, purist paranoia about them.  We already have a huge proportion of the American population believing they're bad, and cherry-picking them for labeling is just going to increase that baseless fear.  What's the point of spending resources to play into baseless fears, to provide no usable consumer information?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »

I don't have a problem with GMO labeling, but I think it's more important that suppliers accurately state whether their products come from animal origin.  Right now, if a manufacturer of cheese, for example, doesn't state that their rennet is non-animal, I tend to assume that they continue to use the rennet made from dead animal parts.  It would be nicer to know.

I don't think it's such a controversial ask, or tantamount to fear-mongering, or whatever, that products would be labeled to say whether or not they are vegan or vegetarian friendly.
KCDem

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2014, 05:15:25 PM »

Everyone cheering this should be ashamed of their shilling for Monsanto. Disgusting.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2014, 05:23:20 PM »

I don't see the problem with giving consumers information on what is in their food they eat, so I would have voted yes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2014, 09:45:55 PM »

Good.

My problem with the "why not inform consumers?" argument is that there are a ton of pieces of information available about the production of every consumer good.  We have to leave some of them up to supply-and-demand, because otherwise we'd have to have a giant booklet with every consumer good.  The reason GMOs are targeted for labeling is because there's this weird, purist paranoia about them.  We already have a huge proportion of the American population believing they're bad, and cherry-picking them for labeling is just going to increase that baseless fear.  What's the point of spending resources to play into baseless fears, to provide no usable consumer information?

Along those lines, there is also the notion that if something is labelled, it must be important. They don't put the Surgeon General's warning on cigarettes for fun, after all. Someone who is not otherwise paying attention might be misled to think that it means GMOs are cause for concern, because why would they be labelled if they were not?
Angel of Death
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2014, 10:10:52 PM »

Any decent human being should stop and think at least ten times before deciding to take the same position on any issue as Monsanto, probably the most evil corporation not directly involved in fossil fuels.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2014, 12:23:22 AM »

Hitler liked dogs.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 12:33:18 AM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 01:53:38 PM »

Everyone cheering this should be ashamed of their shilling for Monsanto. Disgusting.

Any decent human being should stop and think at least ten times before deciding to take the same position on any issue as Monsanto, probably the most evil corporation not directly involved in fossil fuels.

You'd think Monsanto was some gargantuan monopolistic parastatal judging by the obsession some people have about it...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2014, 03:53:19 AM »

Bumping this because this is nonsense:

I've thought about my position more than ten times.  Have you thought about yours once?  Besides "it mildly inconveniences a company that I don't like," do you have any rational reason to support this?  It may mildly inconvenience Monsanto, but it also increases an irrational, common stigma against a technology with some very significant upsides.  If you're not going to dismount from your moral high-horse to analyze a policy realistically, at least be moralistic consistently.  The hardcore anti-GMO people have derailed projects like golden rice, and other projects that save lives.  Why aren't they abysmal in your book?

I don't see the problem with giving consumers information on what is in their food they eat, so I would have voted yes.

That's not quite what genetic engineering is.  It's not "in your food."  It's a production method that makes food chemically different, but not in a uniform way where identifying something as "genetically engineered" is helpful to the consumers.  It's not the same thing as natural hybridization, but that's the same deal.  If you're going to label every input, protection method and technique used in making food, no matter how unimportant, you're going to have a 20-page label that lists largely useless information.  Cherry-picking GMO status doesn't make sense.  It also feeds into the (baseless) perception a lot of Westerners have that genetic engineering is unsafe.  There are some reasonable concerns to discuss about our food supply, but this is a depressing bogeyman, especially for the New Age-y elements on the left.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2014, 04:23:14 AM »

It's down to a 0.1% margin now.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »

Are they done counting? It looks like the margin is less than 1000 votes now.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »

If they are, it looks like our predictions will by further screwed up, as Kitzhaber barely missed cracking 50%. Cry
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »

Goddammit Oregon.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 08:08:26 PM »

GMOs are seen as "scary" and this would provide no benefit to consumers. It would needlessly stigmatise an important innovation in food production. It's a dumb idea.

I mean it's not like people deserve to know what's in their food.

Even then, corporations are there to make profit, and if people buy more organic food, the corporation will ultimately have to switch more towards organics so they can be profitable. Isn't that an essential part of a "free market" economy? Businesses need to adjust to survive in a competitive environment?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2014, 07:40:52 AM »

There is nothing to prove that GMOs are harmful to people in anyway and are rather good for the environment due to increased productivity. The scaremongering happening with any science that people don't like, especially coming from the same people who claim that you can't question climate change because of the science backing it up, is incredibly hypocritical.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2014, 07:26:47 PM »

I mean it's not like people deserve to know what's in their food.

Even then, corporations are there to make profit, and if people buy more organic food, the corporation will ultimately have to switch more towards organics so they can be profitable. Isn't that an essential part of a "free market" economy? Businesses need to adjust to survive in a competitive environment?
If people genuinely prefer organic food, they'll buy it regardless of whether it is labeled "GMO-free" or not.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2014, 08:52:09 PM »

Results are supposed to be certified on December 4 but Measure 92 (GMO labeling) had a small enough margin that it triggered a recount which looks like it'll be done by December 10: http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Documents/M92%20Recount%20Log.pdf
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies