VP Mark Dayton?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:34:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  VP Mark Dayton?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VP Mark Dayton?  (Read 827 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2014, 09:51:54 PM »

Yeah I know it's going to be laughed at by the guy who seriously suggested Martha Coakley.

But let's stop and think:

-Strong campaign skills. Won in two GOP wave years.
-Solid progressive and a very capable Governor. One of the most successful in the country, brought in marriage equality and a more progressive tax structure.
-Not a Senator so no risk of his seat especially with how many Democratic Senators have Republican Governors now. And devastation of the Democratic Gubernatorial bench leaves him strong there.

Not many downsides really for Hillary. May not be the most inspiring fellow but the main purpose of a VP candidate in my view is not do any harm, and as far as that goes he's pretty well off.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »

Good choice. Midwest appeal. Classic Democratic values and could appeal to independents like me.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:18:56 PM »

Yeah, if Hillary wants to go the "do no harm/give a gift to the base" route, Dayton or Merkley would probably be best. If she's trying to get a boost in a swing state, then Kaine or Brown. And then of course there's Castro as the dark horse.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 10:19:56 PM »

Pretty sound choice. Age could be a concern though.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:22:48 PM »

Pretty sound choice. Age could be a concern though.

Good point, he is pretty old. It would also depend on whether or not he can maintain his popularity over the next two years.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:24:52 PM »

Dayton would have problems explaining his Senate record, and he's pretty consistently underperformed fellow Democrats in Minnesota. I'm not sure he's a solid pick.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 10:32:38 PM »

That would be a really good choice, especially since the Midwest will likely trend Republican again.
KCDem

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 10:33:54 PM »

Another Democrat who blew his comfortable lead? and who underperformed Al Franken? No thank you.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 10:37:58 PM »

If Gillibrand was at the top of the ticket rather than Clinton, this would make some sense, but I doubt a 69 year old presidential nominee is going to pick a fellow 69 year old as her running mate.
jd1433
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 10:44:13 PM »

Hahahaha.... That's hilarious...

Nominating a dumber than $hit white rich trust fund baby who hasn't seriously worked a day in his life that couldn't campaign his way out of a paper bag from a state that wont help Dems one bit in 2016?

Please...please do this! Not only would you rid us of probably the most $hit for brains Governor in the country, but you would have actually succeeded in adding a net minus onto your national candidates ticket.

Never thought I would say this, but Franken ran a 10 times better campaign than Dayton did. Actually kind of impressed me in a "worthy adversary" sort of way.

If Johnson wasn't such a tool and instead GOP fielded a quality candidate, Dayton wouldn't have been able to muster any talent to combat the wave (like a Hickenlooper, Malloy, or Shaheen). Instead he would have been ran right over like Quinn.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 11:44:17 PM »

Bad choice. He's elderly, and his Senate record is abysmal. That isn't something Democrats want to highlight, along with his alcoholism and previous treatment for mild depression.

He's been a decent Governor by all accounts, although he barely won his initial election, narrowly winning a primary and beating a far-right state legislature by 0.4%.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »

If anything, Al Franken sounds more appealing. More liberal, but most importantly, won on running as a liberal in a light blue state (a state with an appallingly weak state GOP, but nevertheless).
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 12:35:24 AM »

Bad choice. He's elderly, and his Senate record is abysmal. That isn't something Democrats want to highlight, along with his alcoholism and previous treatment for mild depression.

He's been a decent Governor by all accounts, although he barely won his initial election, narrowly winning a primary and beating a far-right state legislature by 0.4%.

I'd like to think the country is beyond this but we don't want a Muskie repeat...

Plus he was a boring senator and is an underwhelming governor. There are numerous better candidates better suited for VP.

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 12:58:12 AM »

If anything, Al Franken sounds more appealing. More liberal, but most importantly, won on running as a liberal in a light blue state (a state with an appallingly weak state GOP, but nevertheless).
Worry with Franken is that his past career might be more relevant if running for Veep and could be good attack material for the Pubs.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 12:59:14 AM »

He has his benefits although he his age is probably holding him back there.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 02:41:17 AM »

As a Minnesotan who voted for Dayton's re-election yesterday, I will nonetheless agree with other posters that he is a poor choice for VP.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »

Worry with Franken is that his past career might be more relevant if running for Veep and could be good attack material for the Pubs.
I don't think an elderly celebrity is a great fit for Hillary, but Franken has been a sober and serious Senator, and an effective spokesman for liberal values, so I do see the argument.

He'd be a solid match for a Julian Castro of Cory Booker.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 11:16:54 AM »

Yeah, he's too old. I think Tim Kaine would be the best pick for Hillary.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 05:17:40 PM »

Age could be a problem, especially if he's to be paired with Hillary.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »

Nominating a dumber than $hit white rich trust fund baby who hasn't seriously worked a day in his life that couldn't campaign his way out of a paper bag from a state that wont help Dems one bit in 2016?

Please...please do this! Not only would you rid us of probably the most $hit for brains Governor in the country, but you would have actually succeeded in adding a net minus onto your national candidates ticket.

Never thought I would say this, but Franken ran a 10 times better campaign than Dayton did. Actually kind of impressed me in a "worthy adversary" sort of way.

If Johnson wasn't such a tool and instead GOP fielded a quality candidate, Dayton wouldn't have been able to muster any talent to combat the wave (like a Hickenlooper, Malloy, or Shaheen). Instead he would have been ran right over like Quinn.

While I like Dayton a lot, I must say I agree that he'd be a poor VP candidate for reasons already stated. However, I've just got to point out the fact that I actually laughed out loud at this post. Those last two sentences? Man, you should honestly find a career in comedy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 07:53:18 PM »

While I like Dayton a lot, I must say I agree that he'd be a poor VP candidate for reasons already stated. However, I've just got to point out the fact that I actually laughed out loud at this post. Those last two sentences? Man, you should honestly find a career in comedy.

I'm not the biggest Dayton fan, but the idea that he has no campaigning skills is hilarious. The Republicans picked up the MA, MD, and IL governorships. With a terrible campaigner, MN would have flipped, too.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »

No, I don't think he has the charisma by any stretch of the imagination.  At this point, I think the only logical choices left are Hassan, Hickenlooper, or Kaine.  I would lean toward Hickenlooper because it looks like she needs some help in the West.  He also enacted the entire national Dem agenda in a swing state and survived 2014, which is more than anyone else can say right now.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »

No, I don't think he has the charisma by any stretch of the imagination.  At this point, I think the only logical choices left are Hassan, Hickenlooper, or Kaine.  I would lean toward Hickenlooper because it looks like she needs some help in the West.  He also enacted the entire national Dem agenda in a swing state and survived 2014, which is more than anyone else can say right now.

Hickenlooper has no spine. But maybe that would be a plus for a VP.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 11:24:53 PM »

Clinton has a decent amount of choices.

I think Clinton won't pick a woman, and will be less likely to pick someone in their 60s or older. But that leaves plenty of options.

Colorado Senator Michael Bennet has major experise on education.
When Julian Castro became HUD Secretary, Democrats basically built HRC a plausible Hispanic running mate.
Xavier Becerra is another Hispanic guy who can help her with Congress.
Cory Booker impresses Obama voters, without the baggage of the Obama administration.
Gavin Newsom is a young westerner who led the way on gay marriage.
Anthony Foxx could help with African-American turnout, and make North Carolina more competitive.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies