Cory Gardner and Thom Tillis won by running to the center; will they stay there?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:11:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cory Gardner and Thom Tillis won by running to the center; will they stay there?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cory Gardner and Thom Tillis won by running to the center; will they stay there?  (Read 3630 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »

They all but extirpated every vestige of Tea Party bona fides during the general election, repudiating Republican base views on social issues. They will face presidential year electorates in 2020.

Will Gardner and Tillis stay close to Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski, or will they jump on board whenever Cruz and Lee attempt whatever stunt they want to pull in a given week?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:42:56 PM »

They'll join Collins and the rest of the right-wingers in filibustering minimum wage.
Oh right, Republicans are in the majority now. There might not even bother to keep the filibuster.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:55:34 PM »

Spoiler alert: No.

The media will still pretend they're moderates though, like they do with Collins, Kirk, etc.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 11:13:01 PM »

Gardner, possibly. But I think Tillis is done in 2020.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »

“I think for the most part, what I see from the folks who are opposing our agenda is whining coming from losers,” Tillis told Politico when asked about the current political environment. “They lost, they don’t like it, and they are going to try to do everything they can to, I think, cast doubt on things that I think are wise and that the average citizen when they know what we’re doing, I think, like it.”
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »

“I think for the most part, what I see from the folks who are opposing our agenda is whining coming from losers,” Tillis told Politico when asked about the current political environment. “They lost, they don’t like it, and they are going to try to do everything they can to, I think, cast doubt on things that I think are wise and that the average citizen when they know what we’re doing, I think, like it.”

The Republicans' behavior in the NC Legislature since 2011 makes more sense in this context.

Those stupid rubes back home just don't understand that letting Duke Energy dump toxic chemicals where they please is for their own good.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 03:44:04 AM »

I'm with IceSpear.

I think Gardner will be around where Portman/Corker/Alexander are.

As for Tillis, he has to deal with North Carolina's curse on its Senate Seats, so YOLO for him I guess?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 03:52:46 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2014, 07:01:21 AM by Potus2036 »

The Republicans' behavior in the NC Legislature since 2011 makes more sense in this context.

Those stupid rubes back home just don't understand that letting Duke Energy dump toxic chemicals where they please is for their own good.

Stop trying to make the Republicans seem arrogant. Since Tuesday, this forum has been full of people saying those "stupid rubes back home" can't pick their own Senator/Governor. Or maybe a few more rounds of "Junk Election!" and "Junk Country!" will get the point across. The left, especially the Atlas Left, absolutely oozes arrogance and condescension. Don't pretend otherwise.

EDIT: Sorry about the triple post. I accidentally resubmitted it a few times.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 06:15:03 AM »

The media will still pretend they're moderates though, like they do with Collins, Kirk, etc.

This.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 09:57:55 AM »

What does running to the center even mean for a Republican in NC these days? 

And no.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »

What does running to the center even mean for a Republican in NC these days? 

And no.

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 09:17:36 AM »

They'll vote to the right of Ted Cruz
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »

They won't be Moderate RepublicansTM, but they won't be Ted Cruz either. Like most Republican politicians, they will have a conservative voting policy but remain open to some deal making, and remain cautious about their rhetoric.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »

This.

^ the real question is will they vote for impeachment and the Ryan Budget (yes for both, probably).
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »

Really sick of people defining who isn't and who is a moderate based on their own NON-moderate views ... Susan Collins is absolutely a moderate.

As for the OP, I'll say yes on Gardner, absolutely not on Tillis.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 02:54:01 AM »

It comes as news to me that Tillis campaigned as a moderate.  (In the sense that I followed nothing about this race except the polling)

Where did he claim to differ with the GOP?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 06:44:02 AM »

Like most Republican politicians, they will  remain open to some deal making
lolwut?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 12:07:34 PM »

Like most Republican politicians, they will  remain open to some deal making
lolwut?
You know. The same way Enzi and Coburn were on Obamacare. "It'd be cool if we could make a deal but we won't." Maybe Gardner and Tillis will be Rove/Cheney Republicans. Very conservative, but not reactionary and probably pretty centrist if not mildly liberal on under the radar non-hot button issues.
KCDem

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 12:28:11 PM »

Stop trying to make the Republicans seem arrogant. Since Tuesday, this forum has been full of people saying those "stupid rubes back home" can't pick their own Senator/Governor. Or maybe a few more rounds of "Junk Election!" and "Junk Country!" will get the point across. The left, especially the Atlas Left, absolutely oozes arrogance and condescension. Don't pretend otherwise.

Whatever bro. You still live in a garbage state and your life must be miserable.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 07:40:22 PM »

Tillis ran as a moderate?

Tillis put the gay marriage ban on the ballot, he passed legislation that further restricted abortion (remember the McCrory flip flop on the issue, how do you think that got to his desk?), he expanded expanded gun rights, passed E-verify like AL and GA (though he did scale it back to please the business community) and opposes the Senate immigration bill. He did this along with spending less on eduction, rejected the medicaid expansion (which I supported), refused to raise the minimum wage (which I also supported), allowed the State Senate to gerrymander the state (much to my disgust) and restricted unemployment benefits, becoming the first state to stop the expanded recession era benefits.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 07:40:54 PM »

I expect him to vote and act like Rick Perry.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 08:09:06 PM »

I don't recall Tillis running to the center. As for Gardner, he'll vote exactly as he did in the house.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 11:10:15 PM »

Today I would rather be British, Or Irish, Or French. Or Belgian. Or Swiss. Or Dutch. Or German. Or Danish. Or Norwegian. I had ancestors coming from all those countries to what would be the United States. Polish? Sure, but I have some question of where the ancestor (the name suggests "From Danzig") was Polish. Yes, I would rather be a Pole today.

I am ashamed of the 2014 election that showed what dolts American voters are.     
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 11:23:11 PM »

I'll believe it when they denounce the Koch front.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 02:05:23 AM »

Dropping the Koch brothers would kill GOP support for comprehensive Immigration reform/amnesty but bring the minimum wage on the table for most of the newer less then solid conservative members, particularly in the midwest and Northeast. You want that trade?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies