is this type of stuff the new normal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:56:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  is this type of stuff the new normal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is this type of stuff the new normal?  (Read 380 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2014, 05:03:40 PM »

My views have shifted towards the Samuel Huntington/Robert Putnam mold. Both were/are democrats but believed that diversity could weaken societal bonds. Ron Brownstein too has hinted at this type of stuff.

My view is that as hispanics approach 30% of the population you will have a population that, due to being poorer than the median American, will oscillate between voting and not voting. So these huge swings in turnout will create huge swings in elections and further amplify midterm effects. Ron Brownstein has called this a "boom and bust coalition". Not only that but a hardening in partisanship, racial polarization spreading outside the south and an increasing dumbing down of politics (i.e. rapping for a campaign commercial, or even using Twitter acronyms). As a result, whenever a temporary majority is achieved both parties will act like its Mardi Gras and do as they please before morning comes and they are once again in a minority.

I bought the hope and change in 2008 but I now see that unpopularity that Bush suffered in his second term is the new normal. I also think that "running on the economy" is now mostly dead as the number of "robot voters" who increases who merely vote the straight ticket based on who they identify with. Fast forwarding even further, I can see the country turn into a more subtle version of 20th century SE Europe (the balkans) but without the violence.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:14:17 PM »

bump
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies