"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Thread.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:32:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Thread.  (Read 12783 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2014, 05:17:12 PM »
« edited: December 01, 2014, 05:47:12 PM by ingemann »

J.J. Abrams' inability to hold a shot for longer than one-fifth of a second aside, it's not as if anyone is worried that he will make a movie that doesn't look good.

I agree, but even through some people here have a irrational dislike of Marvel movies, I hope Disney have learned the lesson from them, that scenery is not enough, you also need a coherent story.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »

I don't expect high art out of Star Wars, but I do expect movie that isn't boring and makes sense. I had no idea what was going on in the prequels. Anything I did pick up was by trying to piece together what I already knew from the original trilogy. I can't possibly imagine watching it starting at Episode I first. It made no sense.

This is why I'm 100% confident in Abrams. The movie will at least have three acts with a hero going on a journey. That's all a Star Wars movie needs. The rest is up to your giddy imagination.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2014, 10:55:10 PM »

Surely the vast majority of the complaints about the black Stormtrooper are because the Stormtroopers are supposed to all be clones of Jango Fett, who isn't black, and not because people are being racist, right?

I'm equally sure that this will be explained in the movie that the character is just using the outfit like Luke and Han did in Episode IV, or else that the Stormtrooper ranks have been opened up to whoever. But I can get why the purists would be a little alarmed by a potential continuity issue.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2014, 11:35:22 PM »

I read somewhere that they diversified the cloning pool after the Kaminoan rebellion.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2014, 12:55:06 AM »

Why are people getting angry over the person in the Stormtrooper outfit. Could it not be possible that they are in the outfit for some other reason, as a disguise perhaps? Or, as said by others, he could be a recruit, rather than a clone.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2014, 01:41:48 AM »

There is no continuity issue. At the time of the original trilogy, the Galactic Empire was in decline. Recruits and conscripts had been swelling the ranks of Stormtroopers for years, and the remarkable discipline and fortitude of the former clone army was only a memory. (The Empire did not build two successive Death Stars to terrorize its own planets because it was thriving.) I thought this was common knowledge?

This.  Widespread conscription coupled with inadequate training also helpfully explained why no stormtroopers in the original trilogy could aim a blaster for sh[inks].
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »

To be honest, I'm intrigued about the potential for an Imperial remnant (assuming the Stormtroopers and the TIE's actually belong to some sort of Empire). I really wish they had used some of the characters from the Expanded Universe like Thrawn and Pellaeon, it would have been interesting to see them.

I think they tried to push Pellaeon into The Clone Wars tv series no? That would mean that he might show up (not entirely sure though).

I also hope they draw a little from the EU already created. I mean, we know that Lucas hates it whenever someone else writes stuff about Star Wars, but he has to admit some people get it right (i.e. Revan, Thrawn, etc.)
retromike22
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2015, 01:49:06 PM »

New trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »

I thought it was just incredible.

That opening shot of the trashed star destroyer... Purple heart
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2015, 02:59:43 PM »

Well, I'm certainly hyped!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »

That opening shot of the trashed star destroyer... Purple heart
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »

omg omg omg

I'm so pumped for this. And I think Abrams is going to make sure that, at the very least, it doesn't suck.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2015, 09:37:46 PM »

I'm very teased
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2015, 09:49:32 PM »

That was literally beautiful.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2015, 10:03:46 PM »

Lawrence Kasdan, don't let me down!
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2015, 10:20:25 PM »

I read that George Lucas gave Disney his story treatment for the sequel trilogy but they aren't using it? I wonder if it'll ever get released.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2015, 10:34:09 PM »

I read that George Lucas gave Disney his story treatment for the sequel trilogy but they aren't using it? I wonder if it'll ever get released.

You mean "Jar Jar's Big Adventure" ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2015, 04:53:08 AM »

OH MY GOD THIS IS GOING TO BE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!
retromike22
United States

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2015, 11:28:48 PM »

Bumping in light of the poster and trailer Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2015, 11:33:15 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2015, 11:42:51 PM by Cathcon »

I think I have to drop out of school. There's no way I can concentrate on trivial things such as class in wake of something as ground-breaking as this!!!!!!!!!! So, why do they have stormtroopers? Obviously, there is some neo-reactionary "Force One" "First Order" cult of Vader seeking to restore Order to the Galaxy, reminiscent of royalists during the French Revolution. Absolutely can't stand this dudes. It's too big.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2015, 11:38:13 PM »

I think I have to drop out of school. There's no way I can concentrate on trivial things such as class in wake of something as ground-breaking as this!!!!!!!!!! So, why do they have stormtroopers? Obviously, there is some neo-reactionary "Force One" cult of Vader seeking to restore Order to the Galaxy, reminiscent of royalists during the French Revolution. Absolutely can't stand this dudes. It's too big.

I read that the inspiration is coming from the idea of Nazi's hiding out in South America in the 1970s. So basically some of the Empire's soldiers have been hiding, but in the 30 years since they have also turned into a cult that is determined to resurrect the Empire Smiley

Edit: 3,000th post Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2015, 11:41:39 PM »

I think I have to drop out of school. There's no way I can concentrate on trivial things such as class in wake of something as ground-breaking as this!!!!!!!!!! So, why do they have stormtroopers? Obviously, there is some neo-reactionary "Force One" cult of Vader seeking to restore Order to the Galaxy, reminiscent of royalists during the French Revolution. Absolutely can't stand this dudes. It's too big.

I read that the inspiration is coming from the idea of Nazi's hiding out in South America in the 1970s. So basically some of the Empire's soldiers have been hiding, but in the 30 years since they have also turned into a cult that is determined to resurrect the Empire Smiley

Edit: 3,000th post Smiley

That sounds more awesome than I could imagine. Greeking the eff out right now. Not sure what to do.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2015, 11:57:42 PM »

Eh, I thought this trailer was a step down from the previous trailer(s). Although the dogfights and lightsaber stuff looked pretty well done, I definitely got a more generic sci-fi/action vibe from a lot of the actual dialogue/plot/character material with some rehashed OT material thrown in. I suppose it's inevitable though; the first trailer was so good that the movie could never live up to it, so I would hope this one would temper expectations to (hopefully) reasonable levels.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2015, 12:53:07 AM »

Well, I think the extended teaser we got last spring was catered more to the die hard fans and drew very heavily on nostalgia. But Disney knows the die hards are going to go see the movie multiple times no matter what, so this trailer was more about motivating Joe Blow to go see the film... hence the emphasis on more generic action.

But the serious geeks did get a few shout-outs. I especially loved the new version of "Han and the Princess" that they placed with the one Falcon chase scene. Also the dialogue from Han about the Jedi being real was especially moving considering his doubts in ANH about it being "hokey religions and ancient weapons."

I liked the earlier teaser better too, but this has me sufficiently pumped. I've already ordered my tickets for the 7pm showing on December 17th. Front and centre IMAX.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2015, 12:57:45 AM »

The body Rey is crying over is brown and furry with big paws. This is definitely not okay.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies