Virginia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:10:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Virginia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia  (Read 8898 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« on: November 14, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »

You must think the largely Republican voter base who live over 100 miles outside of DC (mostly in SWVA) are particularly dumb to not know who Ed Gillespie is.  I guess Republican voters are just that uninformed about who they are voting for. 

I live in Hampton Roads. Perhaps you've heard of it?  Hint: it's not near Wise County.  We don't get DC Channels here either.  But you are correct, we are all idiots for being less familiar with an unelected political operative than with a former governor of our state.

Nice way to re-frame the argument.  Have you heard of Ed Gillespie or not?  And if you haven't, do you consider yourself an informed voter?

Yes, I've known of him for quite some time. I also spend time on a political forum, much like 99% of other people.

So are you implying that your Republican friends in the state were so uninformed that they voted for someone they never heard of even though he was a national figure from the state?  I guess now I understand why the GOP is such a mess of a party.

Um, no. I responding to your claim that Ed Gillespie had 100% name recognition, and that this proved he was so familiar to voters and potential voters that it put him on even footing with Warner. And then to your humorously dismissive and misinformed attitude toward the rest of Virginia outside of NOVA.

There were some people who voted for Gillespie without any idea of who he was because of his party. That sort of thing is normal in an election. I dare say it probably describes the majority of people who voted for the Democrat in House districts in Virginia won by incumbent Republicans.

I understand that you think you know everything but if you are so convinced that Ed Gillespie didn't have such name recognition in Virginia, please cite some evidence rather than being a dismissive loudmouth.  The only thing humorous is the fact that you somehow seem to think that Gillespie's loss in an off-year election with low democrat turnout is anything but a sign that Virginia is now a lean democrat state. 

Was not the consensus that Warner was going to win by double digits? If so, wouldn't the hypothesis that Vriginia is a "Lean Democratic" state be effectively falsifiable, if the evidence needed to reject the null hypothesis is merely for the most popular elected official in the state winning by half a percentage point against a challenger whose chances were scoffed at?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies