If a Supreme Court justice retires or dies in the next two years….. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:26:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If a Supreme Court justice retires or dies in the next two years….. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If a Supreme Court justice retires or dies in the next two years…..  (Read 6691 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 07, 2014, 03:39:39 AM »

If a Supreme Court justice retires or dies in the next two years, will his/her successor be confirmed by the Senate, or will the vacancy drag out at least into 2017?  Keep in mind, the last time we had a Supreme Court vacancy when the presidency and Senate were controlled by opposite parties was 1991 with the Clarence Thomas appointment, so we have yet to see how such a scenario will play during the current, more partisan, era.

I suppose if Ginsburg retires, then her replacement would presumably be of a similar ideological bent, and it wouldn't shift the balance on the court.  But imagine if one of the conservative justices were to drop dead in January 2015.  A likely Obama-nominated replacement would have the potential to shift the ideological balance on the court quite substantially, which is why the GOP Senate might just delay the confirmation vote indefinitely.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 07:06:50 AM »

After seeing five ellipsis I was sure Winfield made this thread.

Hey, I tried to fit the full sentence in the subject line, but it wouldn't fit.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:28:04 AM »

*bump*

But imagine if one of the conservative justices were to drop dead in January 2015.  A likely Obama-nominated replacement would have the potential to shift the ideological balance on the court quite substantially, which is why the GOP Senate might just delay the confirmation vote indefinitely.

I will now accept my accolades.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies