If a Supreme Court justice retires or dies in the next two years….. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:11:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If a Supreme Court justice retires or dies in the next two years….. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If a Supreme Court justice retires or dies in the next two years…..  (Read 6688 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« on: November 07, 2014, 06:13:46 AM »

If Obama nominates a demonstrably qualified individual, especially if it's a woman or a minority (I have a hunch it might be Jacqueline Nguyen), then the Republicans will be in a bind because their obstruction will reinforce the worst stereotypes about them and will inflame the Dem coalition.

But let's see first how the national environment will be by then. If the polls are promising for the Republican contenders, then the senate will stall the process until the election.
But if Hillary continues to dominate like now, then who knows how they will react?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 06:13:33 AM »

If Ginsberg or Breyer retire, I think Obama could probably successfully nominate one of the several judges that received unanimous or near-unanimous confirmation to the appellate courts. Nguyen seems like a good guess to me as well.

I understand that the urge to reject any Obama nominee and the pressure from the base will be enormous. But the optics of a bunch of old white guys refusing to even consider a young, qualified Asian woman will be terrible.
They will reinforce the worst stereotypes about the Republican party just when they are about to face the first female presidential candidate in history.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies