Nigeria General Election - March 28, 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:10:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Nigeria General Election - March 28, 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nigeria General Election - March 28, 2015  (Read 15160 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »

Even thought I understand why and how Jonathan had to go (Nigeria's economy and "official" standard of living may have grown during his tenure, but the institutional decay was obvious, and that was before Boko Haram), it is still sad to see him to lose to someone as repulsive as Muhammadu Buhari as looks to be the case so far.

Jonathan was one of the handful of African heads of state who wasn't a dictator, or a general or warlord, or a godfather (clientelism is a real big thing in Nigeria), or who otherwise felt entitled to rule on the basis of his father's name or tribe. I suppose, in context, it is because Jonathan could never have been a godfather or a strongman that he came to be seen as weak not just by voters, but by the military and civil institutions as well. He was a zoology professor who came into office by accident, and in the end was overwhelmed by it.

You can't regret his loss (I know no one else on this thread is), but Nigeria failing under his civilian leadership and returning to military government in all but name is dispiriting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies