Should we make voting mandatory?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:35:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Should we make voting mandatory?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Should we make voting mandatory?  (Read 3867 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2014, 01:35:30 PM »

No.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2014, 01:41:22 PM »

I don't think that would work well in this country, but I would support automatic voter registration and having ballots automatically mailed to all registered voters.

States with full Democratic control should be pushing hard for expanded voting rights in contravention to the Republicans and their voter-suppression tactics.

This. Mandatory voting was for years in our books and nobody remembers anyone getting punished for not voting. It's an unenforceable law.

But automatic registration of every person that reaches adulthood, that's a no-brainer IMHO and it could save a lot of money and time for both voters and states.

Automatic registration is hard to do in the US, as it lacks European-style (excl. Anglo countries) mandatory people registration at local town halls.

The US doesn't even have any system that covers near-100% of people, not even all voting-age people have a driving license. Besides, it would be hightly controversial to introduce it, because paranoid anti-government nuts (aka Republicans) would go onto the barricades.

That only leaves the implementation of same-day registration for all states.

What we see as common sense policies here in Europe does not work in the US ...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2014, 03:23:49 PM »

No. Anyway, it would take a Constitutional amendment to make it happen, since a statute would violate the 1st amendment, constitute a form of involuntary servitude, and is beyond the scope of the commerce clause (see the Obamacare decision), and thus the Feds lack the power to order it.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2014, 04:17:33 PM »

I think it should be a choice.

It could raise some privacy concerns, if someone doesn't want to advertise why they're not allowed to vote (illegal immigrant, felony convictions, etc.)

I wouldn't mind compensating people who vote for the time and effort (IE- Full-time workers get two hours pay if they vote.)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2014, 04:23:43 PM »

Perhaps, provided that ballots can be cast via mail or securely online.

Online would be the way to go if we can come up with a system to verify the person voting is the person they claim to be. Then we wouldn't need polling places with opening or closing times. People could just vote with their phones or computers from wherever they are, maybe in a 2-day window or something. People who don't have a computer or phone could have the choice of going to some kind of voting center or library, or they could just borrow a neighbor or coworker's phone for a second.
An advantage of mandatory voting is that it would be easier to detect voter fraud.

Fraudulent accounts would have to vote consistently. And it would be tougher to vote on behalf of someone else without their knowing it (something that's technically possible now.)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh. There's a reason democrats pass motor-voter, for the exact opposite reason. It's easier, not harder to conduct fraud.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »

Uh, mass voter fraud is a myth.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh. There's a reason democrats pass motor-voter, for the exact opposite reason. It's easier, not harder to conduct fraud.

Do you lobotomize yourself before you post?
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »

Voting is mandatory in Brazil, but you can dodge it if you justify your absence only by showing at a poll station in other city than you vote. My mom vote in another city and justified her absence in Presidential run-off going to my poll station with a form that I downloaded in Electoral Justice. To justify after election day, you have only to show at a notary to pay a fine of R$ 3.50 (U$ 1.40) until 60 days. If you don't show for it, you'll get serious restrictions, like passport denying, no loans at state-owned bank, refused public jobs and studying at state-owned universities. This year abstention rate was 19.4% (highest since 1998 21.5%).
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »

My old crazy professor emailed me saying, that people shouldn't vote. Period. She says leave it to the wealthy. Period. She's crazy, but oh well.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2014, 08:15:02 PM »

My old crazy professor emailed me saying, that people shouldn't vote. Period. She says leave it to the wealthy. Period. She's crazy, but oh well.

Quite the Federalist.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2014, 10:21:50 PM »

No, 1) Mandatory voting is an infringement on personal liberty.
   2) If voting was mandatory it would cause uninformed, uninterested people to vote

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2014, 11:43:40 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the best way to deal with it, but turnout rates are embarrassingly low and need to be improved.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2014, 08:34:57 PM »

This forum talks all the time how Republicans are suppressing votes, but you guys want to take the other way around and force people to vote?
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2014, 12:35:51 AM »

No, 1) Mandatory voting is an infringement on personal liberty.
   2) If voting was mandatory it would cause uninformed, uninterested people to vote

As someone who lives in a nation where voting is compulsory at federal and state levels, I can definitely agree with point #2, a lot of uninformed people will just donkey vote, or get their name ticked off and leave the polling booth.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2014, 06:23:30 AM »

I believe Australia actually does this, so it's not just some crazy crackpot idea.

There would never again be an issue with "turnout."

Not just Australia. Brazil and Belgium are two other examples. Still, turnout is shockingly low in Brazil though. Tongue It's better in Belgium, yet far from 100%. I believe the average turnout in Belgium is somewhere between 85% or 90%. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies