The Oval Office (Lumine/SJoyce Administration) (Au Revoir!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:13:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Oval Office (Lumine/SJoyce Administration) (Au Revoir!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Oval Office (Lumine/SJoyce Administration) (Au Revoir!)  (Read 11988 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 05:52:43 PM »

December 4th:
Regarding the Confirmation Issue:

Blah blah blah

Guilty dog barks and all that. The simple fact that you took time to reply to such accusations shows that there must be something to it, no doubt. Keep in mind that I didn't make any accusations toward this administration in the latest round of questions asked; it was only after your own nominee for Game Moderator declared that he felt his confirmation has been strategically delayed that these specific questions arose. Of course, it's also worth noting that there was a whiff of strategic delaying of cabinet positions at the beginning of your administration, but at the time, it seemed more to do with your more controversial, authoritarian selections like Potus2036 and ZuWo.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 06:05:14 PM »

Oh, relax. I accept full responsibility for the delays; I've had a few interruptions in Internet access, as well as several school and debate projects that sapped much of my time (on the plus side, I qualified to debate nationals and got an A on the history project, so there's that). There was a strategic decision to delay several confirmation hearings, but the strategic desire there was to ensure a legitimate confirmation process by not having the nominees introduced under one set of rules and have the rules change underneath them during their hearings.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 12:06:22 AM »

News Flash from the White House:

The President wishes to offer his most sincere condolences to the British government over the loss of life involving the humanitarian aid plane shot down over Iraq. The situation has been analysed and a televised statement will come as soon as possible.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 02:28:39 PM »

December 6th:
An address to the nation, on ISIS (Speech)

Televised from the Oval Office:

My fellow Atlasians,

As many of you have heard in the news, tragedy has struck in the skies of Iraq. A British plane carrying humanitarian aid was shot down by ISIS/Islamic State forces firing from the ground, causing a good number of deaths. I have offered my condolences to the British government over this loss of life, and my prayers are with the families of those who gave their lives in an act of bravery, doing their very best to bring help to those who are threatened or oppressed by these totalitarian extremists.

Situations like this one are a stark reminder of the costs of war and the decisions a President has to take. I am not and I have never been a warmonger, nor I am a man who easily ignores the costs involved in acting in foreign affairs. But I am a man who believes very strongly that we as a nation have a place and a role to play in the world, and I refuse to ignore what is going on in Iraq. I will do everything I can to secure the defeat of ISIS and avoid all the suffering and the destruction that their triumph would bring to today's world. The lesson the 20th Century taught us is that totalitarianism can and must be defeated for societies to prosper, and it is time for us to take a stand against those who would bring us again into dark times.

The reason why I have been so insistent in creating a coalition is because the mistakes of 2003 must never be repeated. If we want to defeat ISIS we need to see nations joining together to do so, not just having our nation intervene without any regard for the consequences. As a result, I have ordered further strikes, air cover for allied air missions and a deployment of more intelligence and special forces operatives, but troop deployment is something that must be discussed and agreed upon with our allies, so we can all go in the same direction. I have spoken on the phone with many foreign leaders who have pledged their support and others who have expressed their doubts, but the desire to defeat ISIS is there. I can not thank these heads of government and state enough for their confidence and their willingness to participate in this broad and global effort.

We just went through a terrible conflict in which we stood close to having some individuals creating a twisted and horrible version of Atlasia, and I ask our citizens to consider how terrible it would be for Iraq, for the Middle East, and for the world to see the triumph of a totalitarian and terrorist state. We were already struck once by ISIS in this very same White House, and a victory of them would only mean that those attacks would eventually become common. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a chance to repair some of the damage we helped to create by doing things right and working with other nations to defeat ISIS. Securing peace in the Middle East is a hard and complicated task, but as the peace deal between Israel and Palestine has showed to us, even the most bloody and extended conflicts can reach a positive end.

It is up to you to consider this situation and create your own view on the subject, but I invite you to think and meditate, to craft your own speech and be open about it. The White House, the State Department and this administration as a whole has a plan and a mission, and the citizens of Atlasia must not stay in the sidelines.

Thank you very much for your attention,

LumineVonReuental, President of Atlasia.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »

For the sake of transparency I should state that Attorney General Zuwo is acting in agreement with the administration and that all judicial matters have been discussed beforehand. We take the judicial system quite seriously, and we share the belief that we were elected to follow and enforce the laws of Atlasia, no matter how hard that may be at times.

I don't see how going after citizens is good for the game. If they are banned from voting or holding office it reduces the number of active people. I don't agree with trying to exclude citizens.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 11:56:17 PM »

For the sake of transparency I should state that Attorney General Zuwo is acting in agreement with the administration and that all judicial matters have been discussed beforehand. We take the judicial system quite seriously, and we share the belief that we were elected to follow and enforce the laws of Atlasia, no matter how hard that may be at times.

I don't see how going after citizens is good for the game. If they are banned from voting or holding office it reduces the number of active people. I don't agree with trying to exclude citizens.

Yes, that is quite a big concern, and it's also a huge dilema from the point of view of the gameplay. Ignoring all the situations in which the rules are broken means that our judicial system continues to be mocked like with President Tyrion/Otis/Persepolis, ignoring some of these situations leads to biases and a similar outcome, and enforcing the actual rules of the game has the side effect of causing losses among our citizens.

It's not going after citizens or trying to exclude citizens, I would say that the Justice Department has decided to try enforce the rules we have (which is after all its legal and constitutional duty), and that is something I support. It's also why I haven't granted any pardons so far.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
« Edited: December 07, 2014, 10:03:29 AM by ZuWo »

I definitely see where you are coming from but I'm afraid there is no way out of this dilemma. The maximum sentences for some of the offenses outlined in the Re-Consolidated Criminal Justice Act are certainly very harsh. I would personally support lowering them but I'm not a legislator now so all I can do is state my opinion. Refusing to do my job because I disagree with the maximum sentences is not an option.

It is crucial that Atlasians who commit crimes against Atlasia or acts of treason are prosecuted. If there wasn't a mechanism to punish people for voter intimidation, for example, we would see countless attempts at manipulating clueless voters.
Also, as the President made clear as long as the laws we have are on the books there is no way for an Attorney General who tries to take his job even halfway seriously to ignore them.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 11:23:53 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2014, 11:26:27 PM by Governor Varavour »

The Attorney General has filed charges against a total of three- three- people. One of whom has already pled guilty. Hardly some sort of massive reprisal.

And it's not as if they're being charged with frivolous infractions. There are serious violations of the laws and Constitution to be weighed.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2014, 06:02:56 PM by President LumineVonReuental »

December 12th:
Russia, Impeachment and Other Things:

Nyman, District of Columbia:

Russia: I spoke with President Putin a couple of days ago in the aftermath of the incident that saw the British plane being shot down over Iraq, and one of the things that I tried to emphasize is that is that fighting ISIS in the best interest of Russia. The actions of this administration have been focused on the goal of building coalitions and reaching a consensus to fight the threat of totalitarianism, and it is regrettable that President Putin has decided to use the type of incendiary language that we saw too well during the crisis in Ukraine. On related news, the State Department will start to focus on Eastern Europe as well, as recent developments have proved that we can't wait until the Iraq situation is solved. The idea of building a much closer relationship to some of the countries in the area is one that I find laudable, and so we will start working to achieve that goal.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Impeachment: I have many flaws as a President, but I try very hard to avoid having inactivity as one of them. While I haven't been very engaged with the Senate, I have tried to remain in the public eye as best as I can while going through my college exams, which meant doing most of my business in the Atlas Fantasy Election board. I don't believe the Vice-President and I have done anything that deserves impeachment, a view that I hope is shared by the Senate and the public of Atlasia. Of course, SirNick's proposed amendment to the Constitution has my full support, and regarding Griffin I have already made my opinion of his recent moves and motives fairly clear.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Other: I apologize for the delay on the budget, it has become fairly clear that with the time constraints and my lack of skill on the subject I will need help in this area, which I have already requested. Hopefully I will be able to introduce the 2015 in the next few days. I should also note that the rise in inflation has not gone unnoticed, and the administration will consider the steps to be taken regarding that complicated issue.

Thanks for your attention,

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »

Impeachment: I have many flaws as a President, but I try very hard to avoid having inactivity as one of thom. While I haven't been very engaged with the Senate, I have tried to remain in the public eye as best as I can while going through my college exams, which meant doing most of my business in the Atlas Fantasy Election board. I don't believe the Vice-President and I have done anything that deserves impeachment, a view that I hope is shared by the Senate and the public of Atlasia. Of course, SirNick's proposed amendment to the Constitution has my full support, and regarding Griffin I have already made my opinion of his recent moves and motives fairly clear.

Do your job and stop scapegoating, lazy President. Nobody caused this to happen but yourself.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2014, 01:57:40 AM »

Impeachment: I have many flaws as a President, but I try very hard to avoid having inactivity as one of thom. While I haven't been very engaged with the Senate, I have tried to remain in the public eye as best as I can while going through my college exams, which meant doing most of my business in the Atlas Fantasy Election board. I don't believe the Vice-President and I have done anything that deserves impeachment, a view that I hope is shared by the Senate and the public of Atlasia. Of course, SirNick's proposed amendment to the Constitution has my full support, and regarding Griffin I have already made my opinion of his recent moves and motives fairly clear.

Do your job and stop scapegoating, lazy President. Nobody caused this to happen but yourself.

If your conversations on IRC were public, you'd be dead on the fantasy board, Griffin.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 12:02:11 AM »

December 17th:
Iraq/Syria, the Budget, and so on:

(Note: The President has decided to abandon Michael Heseltine for some time and adopt Francis Urquhart as his new image, mostly to satirize Griffin's portrayal of the administration. Plus, who doesn't like House of Cards?)

Iraq/Syria: It is with great pleasure that I am able to comment on the most recent developments regarding the struggle against the Islamic State, since the most recent air strikes have dealt a tough blow to the enemy forces across the border between Syria and Iraq. While the loss of life is always a regrettable thing, I am confident that the efforts to the broad and global coalition will prevent further loss of life by preventing the victory of totalitarianism in the Middle East. Our mission is far from over, but moments like this encourage us to continue to do our best and prove that coalitions are indeed an excellent way to proceed against threats like this one.

Budget: A President shouldn't be afraid of admitting what he doesn't know, and I won't shy away from that. I have spent the past weeks trying to find ways of calculating the extent of the spending spree that our nation started since the last budget has passed, and the task has proved too large for my personal knowledge on the subject. After asking for the advice of Atlasian experts and friends, I have crafted a proposal based on minor spending cuts to provide a balance with my promised spending raises in the defense sector, international affairs and the area of technology and science. I hope to work with the Senate so we can all determine the extend of the likely deficit Atlasia is facing, and I promise to do my best so we can pass a balanced budget without making the mistakes of the past.

Other: First of all, congratulations to all the winners of the Senate election, who fought hard and challenging battles to get to Nyman. Same goes for those who didn't make it, and it is my hope that they can return or reach the Senate in the future. I am particularly pleased with White House Chief of Staff Cris's victory, and I am looking forward to working with the next Senate starting next January. In second place, arrangements have been made in case Secretary of the Interior Flo wins the IDS Emperor race, and the administration is prepared to nominate a replacement should there be a vacancy in the cabinet.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »

I like this change. Cheesy
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »

Francis was my Press Secretary... But if you want to be him, that is fine.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »

Francis was my Press Secretary... But if you want to be him, that is fine.

Thanks, Superique! I was aware that you had used him during the alien crisis, but I figured that since I am only using his image instead of actually turning into Urquhart it would be a reasonable choice...
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »

December 21st:
(Not) Running for a Second Term: (Speech)

Ladies and gentlemen,

Good day to all of you. For the past seven weeks I’ve had the privilege of serving this great nation as its President, and I have tried to do my best to provide a stable an active government that will leave our most recent crisis behind. I had my share of mistakes and my share of success, and for the nine weeks of the rest of the term I plan to continue to work hard from the White House. That said, my time in office has removed most of my fondness for ambiguity, and there’s an issue in which I want to be absolutely clear, that of the February 2014 Presidential Election. As former President Calvin Coolidge once said: I do not choose to run (for reelection).

Real life concerns brought forward by the end of my first year of college made it impossible for me to be as active as I wanted to be during the early weeks of my term, and with my second year starting on March and being significantly more complicated than the first one I simply won’t have enough time to serve as President for four more months. And, if I’m allowed to be honest with all of you, I am a bit tired after two years of being Assemblyman, Archduke, Governor, Senator, PPT and President in an almost continuous timeline. You can bet I’ll stay here, but I look forward to take a different road once the time comes.

I struggled with the thought of making this early announcement because it might turn me into a lame duck or it might start the February race too early, but to hell with that, I have a right to choose my own timing. Besides, not running for a second term does not mean I have the intention of turning into a lame duck, and I expect to leave the White House in early March with a good record behind me and my administration.

I would like to take his opportunity to thank my cabinet for their service and their friendship, and for the support they have given me so far.

Thank you very much, and stay tuned for today’s update on other events!

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »

December 21st:
Update on Several Issues:

Russia and the World: We remain pleased by the progress we have made in the Middle East, and we will now give more attention into Eastern Europe, an area that has been sadly neglected in the past despite the worrying developments regarding Crimea and Ukraine. Secretary Riley is already handling certain negotiations on behalf of the administration, and we expect to significantly strengthen our ties with nations on that zone of the world like Poland, Ukraine and some of the Baltic States, to name a few. And, if everything goes right with the proposed Sanity in Foreign Policy Act we expect to be able to act on that front as well.

Budget: Senator Polnut’s concerns are noted, and I expect to have a full version regarding income proposals by tomorrow. Of course, it should be noted that I am by no means an expert on this particular field, so once again my apologies for all the delays. I would like to be the last President who has to deal with a potential shutdown, so I will propose an amendment to include budget mechanisms into the Constitution soon enough.

Other: I would like to thank Justice Torie for his service in the Supreme Court, and I am currently taking a look at the potential nominees to replace him. I do have a frontrunner, so either way we will have a quick appointment or a quick process of application so the Court can continue to handle the many cases brought forward by the Attorney General and the citizens of Atlasia.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »

December 24th:
Supreme Court, Presidential Veto and a Merry Christmas!

Supreme Court: First of all, I would like to thank former Justice Torie for his service to the Republic, and I wish him the best of luck in his recent real life endeavours. There were quite a lot of people interested in being his replacement, but in the end only one man can be picked and my first choice was happy to accept immediately. Mideast Governor TJ in Cleve is a man of experience, skill and responsibility, and I don't doubt for a moment that he will be a fantastic Supreme Court Justice.

Veto: As those who follow the work of the Senate know, I have issued a veto on the recently passed Collective Bargaining Modernization Act of 2014. Being honest, I have done so because I don't believe a single union should be granted representation over sectors as wide as those proposed in said bill, not to mention that this could eliminate the relevance of the minor unions against those who may not even be a majority. It's up to the Senate to override or not, but I hope the veto stays.

drj101: As others have already said (in a much more eloquent way) my thoughts are with former SoIA drj101, as it has been reported that she passed away a few months ago. Most of the citizens of Atlasia and members of the Atlas Forum are so young that it is very shocking when something like this happens, and I think it's very important that we remember and honor those who are now gone.

Others: Once I clear a small issue I should have a nominee for Secretary of the Interior ready very soon, so I haven't forgotten about that. My budget proposal seems to have been badly received, but I remain confident that in the case that a budget could not be passed by January 1st we will be able to avert a crisis using a simple mechanism. Mainly, my idea is to have the 2014 budget extend over to 2015 via executive order until we can pass a budget, and then solve the matter once and for all with a comprehensive constitutional amendment. Either way, I plan to be the last President who has to face a situation like this one.

Finally, and most important of all, I would like to wish all the citizens of Atlasia a Merry Christmas, and I hope they truly enjoy the holidays! I have no way of making Francis Urquhart look as if he enjoyed Christmas, so for now I'll just use a picture of the White House, xD

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2014, 08:58:29 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2014, 09:02:45 PM by President LumineVonReuental »

December 30th:
Weekly Update and the Vega Scandal:

Vega Scandal: As I have explained earlier I am quite surprised at the recent scandal involving serious accusations of supplantation of identity, fraud and other potential crimes, and after consulting with the Justice Department the administration will create a Commission of Enquiry on Identity Theft via Executive Order:

Executive Orders: December 30th:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Deputy Attorney General Rpryor has proved to be a capable and honest Atlasian, and I think he will be able to lead a serious and neutral investigation along with the people he chooses to form a part of this effort. I congratulate AG Zuwo and DAG Rpryor once again for the hard work they have done to enforce the rules and the laws of Atlasia, and I strongly condemn Senator TNF and those who continue to libel and slander the Justice Department to further their own agendas. Even if we have another partisan attempt at impeachment, I will fight back.

Sec. of the Interior: As many of you know, I have nominated Former SoIA Hagrid to his former job, and so far it seems that he will be able to be confirmed without a major delay. I believe that his performance in the cabinet a few months ago was efficient, active and very productive, and I look forward to working with him as a part of this administration. We have two months ahead of ourselves, and there's a lot to do until this term ends!

Others: As promised, I will take action on the potential shutdown tomorrow so we can avoid a crisis, and considering that the budget debate has so far been quite active I think we can confidently expect one to be passed in a couple of weeks or so. I also expect some proposals to go out on the legislative front very soon, mostly focused on constitutional reform of the cabinet, budget and a certain issue that has proved quite divisive in the past few months. Finally, as the presidential race seems to have started quite early this time, I want to wish Duke, Cincinnatus, Cassius, Bore, Bacon King, IBDD and the other candidates to come the best of luck in their respective bids for the White House.

Finally, please take a few minutes to vote on this survey made by the Commission on Electoral Reform: http://goo.gl/forms/oH6wjx7Y76

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2015, 12:11:04 AM »

January 4th:
An address to the nation, on Russia (Speech)

Televised from the Oval Office:

My fellow Atlasians,

We are three days short of the two month anniversary of this administration, the point that marks the half of a term. Running a country like Atlasia is no easy task, and while mistakes have been made I am as always confident that the citizens of this country can trust this administration to fight of what it believes to be right. There is some disappointment by some at the decision of not running for a second term, I know, but not having to focus on reelection does allow for a greater sense of freedom.

Today I have come to talk to you once again about foreign policy, and in particular about the subject of Russia, Ukraine and the historical peace deal closed a couple of days ago by the State Department. I make no excuses about my support for an Atlasia deeply involved in the affairs of the world as a responsible and effective member of the international community, and that is a passion I will not betray. I've been called everything from "Bombs Away Lumine" to an outright fascist, but my personal actions and the actions taken by this administration disprove such childish attacks.

Being involved in foreign affairs and caring about our world does not mean that we will go around joining every single war in the globe, not does it mean that we will claim the right to do as we please. Our intervention in Iraq as a part of a broad coalition is based on that belief, and it's the same case when it comes to the Russian deal. I will not explain the deal in this particular address because the information is there, but I will maintain until the end that this is no Munich, and nobody is playing Chamberlain here. What we have done is to find a pragmatic way to solve a conflict, and the State Department's brave and consistent efforts have drawn a line in the sand that will keep peace in Eastern Europe, give Ukraine the strength it lost over the past months. And let me make this perfectly clear: I will uphold and defend this deal, and I will not allow it to be broken. Russia has not further motives to meddle in Eastern Europe, and there will be no excuses.

War has been avoided, the State Department has done an excellent job one again and we have managed to find a workable and pragmatic solution to a grave problem that captured the attention of the world over most of 2014, an issue that some tried to ignore and disregard (and, as I recall even create a pro-Russian caucus at some point). We hope to continue to solve these issues as the next two months unfold, and in this particular area I can happily state that I will be taking a tour of an often ignored continent very soon. I'd like to end this address by expressing my hope that the Atlasian public reads more on the subject and hopefully supports our view that this is the right way to move forward, and with the presidential campaign in full swing I can only hope that the next President(s) will uphold this treaty and stand up for it.

Thank you very much for your attention,

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2015, 12:33:57 AM »

I will say that I'm glad to see the focus that this administration has placed on foreign affairs.  With regards to the Crimea situation, I won't hijack this thread with my opinion, but I do worry about the ability of Crimea to maintain itself as an independent nation in both the short and long term.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2015, 05:24:56 PM »

I will say that I'm glad to see the focus that this administration has placed on foreign affairs.  With regards to the Crimea situation, I won't hijack this thread with my opinion, but I do worry about the ability of Crimea to maintain itself as an independent nation in both the short and long term.

That's great to hear, Barnes, I think an increased focus on such an ignored area can certainly be of help.

I do agree with you in regards to the concerns Crimea may present, but given the current context and what it means to be fully controlled by the Russian Federation these days (especially with the consecuences that it would bring to sexual minorities, the tatar people, and so on, I believe it is the best solution available for Crimea and its people. Of course, the State Department will be monitoring the situation as it evolves (as we have no intention to just ignore Eastern Europe after signing this deal).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2015, 07:11:09 PM »

January 6th:
Two Months of Government (Speech)

San Francisco, Pacific Region:

My fellow Atlasians,

In my earlier address to the nation I spoke about this administration having reached the half of the presidential term, and while that passing mention seemed right a couple of days ago, I couldn't help but to give some extra thought on what this means. 2014 has been a hectic year for all of us, and Atlasia had the distinction of having a single president (Duke) serving from January to early July, only for us to have four other presidents serving until the end of the year (DemPGH/Tyrion/Cranberry/myself). If we consider the events of the past year and we include Napoleon, Nathan, Marokai and Nix, we could very well say that most Atlasians can al least remember these nine presidents and their respective administrations, and thus are able to compare different styles of work and leadership.

Mistakes have been made, and I take responsibility for them, but during these two months all of us have done our best to enforce the laws and the rules of the game, to provide new points of view and give a much greater focus on areas of policy previously ignored, to be active and take our case to the people of Atlasia and appeal to their judgement. For all the attacks, the outrage and the publicity stunts I want to think that we have done a good job for our nation, using some of the best elements and ideas so we can be a pragmatical center-right government (well, mostly). In that sense I feel more or less vindicated in the support I have enjoyed from my party, my friends and my cabinet, vindicated in the high approval levels in the polls for all of us, vindicated in the renewed activity that we have seen in elements of the game like the Game Moderator and the Supreme Court, and vindicated this very day with the beautiful sight of Russian troops marching out of Crimea and Ukraine.

There are two months left before this administration leaves the White House and I become a private citizen for the first time since March 2014, and during that period of time we will all continue to do our best so we can get more things done. New amendments will be introduced and changes proposed as well, we will have to finish up the budget, deal with more foreign issues, honor the great Atlasians with the Order of the Star and so on, and these are challenges in which I am happy to try and do my best.

Thank you very much for your attention, and my apologies for my long and winded speeches,

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2015, 10:23:24 PM »

News Flash from the White House:

The President wishes to offer his most sincere condolences to the people of France and the French government due to the terrible series of events that have transpired over the past few days. The Republic of Atlasia stands united with France and the French people in opposing all forms of terrorism, for terrorism will never be able to destroy the sacred values of democracy and freedom of expression.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2015, 12:21:45 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2015, 12:28:42 AM by President LumineVonReuental »

January 16th:
The Legislative Front (Update/Speech)Sad

It is often said that the relationship of a President with its Senate can define his administration (that's false, I know, just hear me out), and indeed many of my predecessors have crafted their legacies in compromise and skill like Averroes Nix or Duke, while others have found themselves under siege and unable to get an agenda passed (no need for examples here, I guess). Dealing with a Senate majority that is left to center-left while being from the center right is no easy task, but I do thank most of the Senators for being willing to compromise when possible.

Overall, the legislative front has seen this administration getting the Sanity in Foreign Policy Act passed, I have signed several laws passed by the Senate and, to my surprise, I've only used the veto once (and failed, I know). Now the time has come for the far reaching reforms that I promised during the campaign, and for that effect I have introduced three pieces of legislation (which could become five provided I can get the language right in the other ideas):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In addition to that we may have two other amendments concerning marriage and the federal budget, but once again that depends on whether I can get ther right words for those two.

Regarding the crucial issue of the 2015 Federal Budget, I would like to reassure the citizens of Atlasia that this administration will get a budget passed before this term is over. It has been a long process with a lot of debate, but with the Game Moderator and the Deputy GM working on the revenue estimates I am confident that we will pass a budget that will reflect the badly needed focus on realism.

Ah, before I forget! It has become rather fashionable for some to refer to me as "Lameduck Lumine", and as endearing as the nickname is I will just say that my presidency is certainly not over yet. So stay tuned!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies