Opinion of Pope Julius II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:19:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Opinion of Pope Julius II
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Julius_II
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Opinion of Pope Julius II  (Read 694 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »

Julius II spent most of his reign waging war against every available opponent, including personally leading the Papal troops, wearing his fancy armor. While a formidable military leader, who enlarged the Papal States, his aggressive policy was not only costly but also undermined the Papacy, helping to pave a way for the Reformation.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »

A magnificent bastard, but an HP. Even before becoming Pope and while being Cardinal Della Rovere he was just as corrupt as Rodrigo Borgia (and if most of the crimes of the Borgia family are indeed mere propaganda he was perhaps worse in many aspects), not to mention his role in convincing Charles VIII to march on Italy, his inactivity against the actions of Menoldo Guerri in Ostia and many other things.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 05:35:16 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2014, 05:44:37 PM by DemPGH »

Not as bad as Innocent VIII (there were gang fights in the streets when he was elected pope, which was kind of normal along with popes keeping mistresses, but he launched the Inquisition and blessed a torture manual called the Malleus Maleficarum), but nonetheless Julius II was certainly horrible.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:13:44 AM »

Not as bad as Innocent VIII (there were gang fights in the streets when he was elected pope, which was kind of normal along with popes keeping mistresses, but he launched the Inquisition and blessed a torture manual called the Malleus Maleficarum), but nonetheless Julius II was certainly horrible.

Well, street violence was quite characteristic during and, sometimes, after the conclave.

I agree Innocent was quite bad (and incompetent too).
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »

Well, street violence was quite characteristic during and, sometimes, after the conclave.

I actually didn't know that it was commonplace until relatively recently, and I knew about it in his case because I've read about him. I knew there were always very partisan factions and political machinations at play, so it doesn't surprise me.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 08:21:08 AM »

I actually didn't know that it was commonplace until relatively recently, and I knew about it in his case because I've read about him. I knew there were always very partisan factions and political machinations at play, so it doesn't surprise me.

Precisely. With no Pope and all the Cardinals locked, the interregnums were best opportunity for get on your rivals' throats.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies