50% of Republicans support impeaching Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:26:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  50% of Republicans support impeaching Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 50% of Republicans support impeaching Obama  (Read 7450 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »

If Congress actually does this, it will only be a popular move among Republicans. Considering that 67 votes is needed to convict, it would be a waste of time, anyway.

I'm sure they'll find a way to keep Senate Democrats from showing up.
That doesn't fix the problem. You need 2/3 of the entire senate, not 2/3 of whoever shows up on a given day. This means they'll need 13 democrats (assuming AK and LA go republican in the coming weeks) to crossover and convict the president.
Actually no, you don't which is scary.  Here is the text from the constitution.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
And since you only need 51 to establish quorum, you could have the case of 34 senators voting for impeachment, and it going through.
Jesus Christ. That's terrifying.

That's a ridiculous scenario.  Why would members of Congress not show up to vote in an impeachment that they opposed?
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 11:36:46 PM »

If Congress actually does this, it will only be a popular move among Republicans. Considering that 67 votes is needed to convict, it would be a waste of time, anyway.

I'm sure they'll find a way to keep Senate Democrats from showing up.
That doesn't fix the problem. You need 2/3 of the entire senate, not 2/3 of whoever shows up on a given day. This means they'll need 13 democrats (assuming AK and LA go republican in the coming weeks) to crossover and convict the president.
Actually no, you don't which is scary.  Here is the text from the constitution.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
And since you only need 51 to establish quorum, you could have the case of 34 senators voting for impeachment, and it going through.
Jesus Christ. That's terrifying.

That's a ridiculous scenario.  Why would members of Congress not show up to vote in an impeachment that they opposed?
Not knowing about it.  I also know it is absolutely impractical and unlikely, but it still could happen.   I say it is stupid to do it, but Rep's can do it.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 12:08:58 AM »

How would they not know?
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 12:15:50 AM »

A lot of sh**t can happen in the middle of the night.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 12:32:38 AM »

Why? What reason could they possible have to support impeaching Obama?

Being a BLACK in the WHITE House.

That's not it. Maybe it's because some of them watch too much Fox News and think Benghazi is the worst thing since Watergate.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 12:44:10 AM »

No.  Read this.

The Rules Committee can't change the rules of the house without informing the members of the Rules Committee.  So, the Democrats would know.  It's also just hard to keep a secret of what's going on in open session of Congress.  Just a crazy scenario.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 12:53:32 AM »

No.  Read this.

The Rules Committee can't change the rules of the house without informing the members of the Rules Committee.  So, the Democrats would know.  It's also just hard to keep a secret of what's going on in open session of Congress.  Just a crazy scenario.
I know this, I'm only saying it can happen.  It is improbable, but is allowed under the constitution.  I am pointing out this absurd loophole with an equally absurd scenario.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 12:59:45 AM »

No.  Read this.

I know this, I'm only saying it can happen.  It is improbable, but is allowed under the constitution.  I am pointing out this absurd loophole with an equally absurd scenario.

Well, this type is scenario is contemplated by the Constitution itself, in the Speech and Debate clause.   You can't really prevent Congress from knowing what is being voted on or prevent members from voting.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 01:02:28 AM »

We may take a journey down memory lane to a time, not so long ago, when 66% of Democrats supported impeaching Bush.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 01:23:31 AM »

We may take a journey down memory lane to a time, not so long ago, when 66% of Democrats supported impeaching Bush.

Lying your way into two wars and illegal wiretapping...being a Black man and getting elected President twice. Eh, I think it was much more warranted with Bush. Not to mention, the Democrats didn't make the move to impeach Bush and Cheney when they had the majorities in Congress.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2014, 03:56:37 AM »

Great comparison!  Bush was totally innocent, exactly like Obama.  Nice one, wormyguy!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 06:00:18 AM »

It's a shame that the Republican Party is so deranged and obviously motivated on this issue (and pretty much every other one when it comes to Obama) by little more than their own lust for power, especially given that there are plenty of things that one could seriously impeach Obama for. Obama deserves to be impeached just as much as Bush did, and arguably as much as Clinton (unfortunately the crazies made supporting Clinton being impeached pretty much impossible for anyone with half of a brain), Bush, Reagan, and every post-1945 President.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »

Great comparison!  Bush was totally innocent, exactly like Obama.  Nice one, wormyguy!
At the very least, Obama is guilty of the NSA-related charge.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »

Joe Biden would be president then.

Joe Biden.

Joe Biden.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 08:57:27 PM »

Joe Biden.

Joe Biden.

Nah, the Republicans will go after Biden as well, since their shot of victory in 2016 is to have Boehner (or some other Congressman) already in the White House.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 02:12:07 AM »

New CNN poll has Republicans supporting impeachment 56-43. Overall is 70-29 against.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2014/images/11/26/cnnorc-immigration-poll112614.pdf
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 02:46:53 AM »

Joe Biden.

Joe Biden.

Nah, the Republicans will go after Biden as well, since their shot of victory in 2016 is to have Boehner (or some other Congressman) already in the White House.

Or use the 2003 California recall as precedent that somehow the next in line somehow just stays next in line just because. And that was what a Democratic SOS decided. Democratic SOS make it easy enough for Republicans without Republican SOS stealing elections.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 06:29:42 PM »

I support impeachment of Obama and I would have supported impeaching Bush post 2003.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »

I support impeachment of Obama and I would have supported impeaching Bush post 2003.

Good thing you don't get your way because the USA would be chaos with three straight Presidential impeachment trials.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 06:34:54 PM »

Good thing you don't get your way because the USA would be chaos with three straight Presidential impeachment trials.

Maybe it would send them a message?  Seriously, if Americans stop voting for power-hungry politicians who care nothing about the Constitution, or the best interests of the American people, simply because of their partisan affiliation, we might get some real change.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »

Maybe it would send them a message?  Seriously, if Americans stop voting for power-hungry politicians who care nothing about the Constitution, or the best interests of the American people, simply because of their partisan affiliation, we might get some real change.

Sounds like we should impeach the American public instead.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »

Sounds like we should impeach the American public instead.

Well, to be fair, most of them didn't vote.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2014, 07:00:55 PM »

Impeach everyone and let the county be a Libertarian utopia!11!!!!!11111!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »

No.  Read this.

The Rules Committee can't change the rules of the house without informing the members of the Rules Committee.  So, the Democrats would know.  It's also just hard to keep a secret of what's going on in open session of Congress.  Just a crazy scenario.
I know this, I'm only saying it can happen.  It is improbable, but is allowed under the constitution.  I am pointing out this absurd loophole with an equally absurd scenario.

Doors can be locked. I like the idea of a Republicans only quorum.

The party that makes unconstitutional recess appointments is going to do what...squeal?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 09:14:11 PM »

No.  Read this.

The Rules Committee can't change the rules of the house without informing the members of the Rules Committee.  So, the Democrats would know.  It's also just hard to keep a secret of what's going on in open session of Congress.  Just a crazy scenario.
I know this, I'm only saying it can happen.  It is improbable, but is allowed under the constitution.  I am pointing out this absurd loophole with an equally absurd scenario.

Doors can be locked. I like the idea of a Republicans only quorum.

The party that makes unconstitutional recess appointments is going to do what...squeal?

This is where you get into territory that you just shouldn't talk about it...

What? Obama making minor appointments to a labor relations board while Harry Reid was keeping the Senate in a state where it's not in recess in name only is equal to one party trying to take control of the country in a ruthless manner?

I hope you're joking but the signs of nasty politics that I've been seeing lately have been making me disgusted with the whole thing lately.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies