Opinion of Pocahontas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:36:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Pocahontas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What do you think of Pocahontas?
Freedom Movie

Horrible Movie

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Opinion of Pocahontas  (Read 4060 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »

Pixar and Studio Ghibli supported slavery and segregation in the 1860s.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 01:50:20 PM »

You win this thread!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 02:02:41 PM »

POCAHONTAS is a film I've never seen. Does not look that good.

On the subject of THE INCREDIBLES, that movie is of course a bunch of fascist garbage and should be banned.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 02:22:49 PM »

I didn't like Disney films as a child, but that didn't stop my Grandma from buying VCR after VCR for us Tongue.

I hated and still hate Hunchback; that movie scared the hell out of me.

You were frightened by the Hunchback of Notre Dame?  By chance, did your grandmother also buy you that 1959 classic Darby O'Gill and the Little People?  Now that was frightening!  They did a damn good job with that banshee, IMHO....
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »

Pocahantas produced one of the greatest tumblr movie stills of all time:

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 07:19:27 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2014, 07:22:12 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Um, no.  I have nothing against Studio Ghibli; in fact, I admire the fact that they're trying to keep traditional animation and animation techniques alive in the CGI age. 

Other than the Lion King, the Pixar movies (with the exception of the cars/assorted talking vehicles movies, Toy Story 2, and The Incredibles which were HMs), and Bambi, all of Disney's movies have been HMs.
I don't know how you can think ANY Pixar films other than Toy Story 1-3 are FMs.  And with the exception of Mulan, The Princess and the Frog, and possibly Tangled and Frozen (which I still need to see), nearly every Disney film has been an HM.

Really? So you don't like Wall-E or Up? Why not?
I've never seen Wall-E, and I don't care to see it.  I saw Up with my little cousins when it first came out, but I thought it was the same old Pixar/CGI formula (post-Toy Story): cold, lifeless animation stuffed with vapid, juvenile, grade school garbage.  I miss seeing traditional animation on the big screen.  CGI is like saltwater; the more you drink, the more thirsty you get.

Seriously? Even people I know who don't normally like animation liked Up. I fail to see how this is lifeless or juvenile.
I thought that scene was decent, but I just thought, "Oh, that's sad."  On the other hand, I cry whenever I see Dumbo's mother locked in the "Mad Elephant" cage or Bambi's mother get killed by the hunter.  I would have been more sad if Carl's wife had died later in the film rather than at the beginning.  She only appears in the film for a few minutes; we don't get time to be acquainted with her.  It's almost as if Pixar intentionally added that scene in an attempt to shed its "kiddie" image. 

Traditional animation also has a warmth and life that CGI simply cannot match.  It can come close (e.g. Toy Story), but it can't reach the same level.  I wish I could find Jerry Beck's comments on the opening scenes of Up, because it summarized this well.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 10:10:10 PM »

Um, no.  I have nothing against Studio Ghibli; in fact, I admire the fact that they're trying to keep traditional animation and animation techniques alive in the CGI age. 

Other than the Lion King, the Pixar movies (with the exception of the cars/assorted talking vehicles movies, Toy Story 2, and The Incredibles which were HMs), and Bambi, all of Disney's movies have been HMs.
I don't know how you can think ANY Pixar films other than Toy Story 1-3 are FMs.  And with the exception of Mulan, The Princess and the Frog, and possibly Tangled and Frozen (which I still need to see), nearly every Disney film has been an HM.

Really? So you don't like Wall-E or Up? Why not?
I've never seen Wall-E, and I don't care to see it.  I saw Up with my little cousins when it first came out, but I thought it was the same old Pixar/CGI formula (post-Toy Story): cold, lifeless animation stuffed with vapid, juvenile, grade school garbage.  I miss seeing traditional animation on the big screen.  CGI is like saltwater; the more you drink, the more thirsty you get.

Seriously? Even people I know who don't normally like animation liked Up. I fail to see how this is lifeless or juvenile.
I thought that scene was decent, but I just thought, "Oh, that's sad."  On the other hand, I cry whenever I see Dumbo's mother locked in the "Mad Elephant" cage or Bambi's mother get killed by the hunter.  I would have been more sad if Carl's wife had died later in the film rather than at the beginning.  She only appears in the film for a few minutes; we don't get time to be acquainted with her.  It's almost as if Pixar intentionally added that scene in an attempt to shed its "kiddie" image. 

Traditional animation also has a warmth and life that CGI simply cannot match.  It can come close (e.g. Toy Story), but it can't reach the same level.  I wish I could find Jerry Beck's comments on the opening scenes of Up, because it summarized this well.

Interesting. It seems like the problem has less to do with the quality of Pixar's films, and more to do with your hatred of CGI as a medium.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies