Opinion of Alexander Hamilton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:04:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Alexander Hamilton
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ^
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Opinion of Alexander Hamilton  (Read 1973 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2014, 03:14:46 PM »

Absolute trash. Kind of glad he lost the duel.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »

A clever guy, who was far more in tune with what America would end up resembling than most of the other prominent Fathers; but also a very unpleasant, anti-democratic person. Definitely pales in comparison to his duel partner.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 03:44:27 PM »

FF overall-America to-day is the product of Jefferson's politics and Hamilton's economics. Certainly better than the traitor Burr.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:38:13 PM »

FF
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »

Worst of the Founders.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »

FF because he was right on the central bank. Fed 4 ever
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 04:58:38 PM »

FF overall-America to-day is the product of Jefferson's politics and Hamilton's economics.
Hamilton's policies consisted of blatant cronyism and economic doctrines now widely recognized as fallacious. So yes, very reflective of contemporary America.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 05:09:48 PM »

Somewhat better than Jefferson.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »

As much as they disagree with him on policy, libertarians should at least respect Hamilton for being one of the few self-made men to be found among the Founding Fathers.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 05:30:37 PM »

The fact that he's immortalized on currency is laughable.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 06:23:24 PM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 06:26:46 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 06:28:13 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2014, 06:33:02 PM by Lief »

FF.

Also he cannot by definition be the worst of the founders, considering that he did not own hundreds of human beings as property and was not a supporter of slave-holder agrarianism.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »

I'm going to be a heretical libertarian and say FF.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 08:13:08 PM »

FF.

Also he cannot by definition be the worst of the founders, considering that he did not own hundreds of human beings as property and was not a supporter of slave-holder agrarianism.

Indeed, there is no reasonable way supporting a central bank and import tariffs should be out-libertarian-ed by someone who owned people...
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »

FF overall-America to-day is the product of Jefferson's politics and Hamilton's economics.
Hamilton's policies consisted of blatant cronyism and economic doctrines now widely recognized as fallacious. So yes, very reflective of contemporary America.

Yes I'm sure Jefferson's anti-urban agarianism would have been much more useful to the United States compared to internal improvements, having a central bank, and subsidizing infant industries.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 08:40:22 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2014, 08:43:13 PM by Deus Naturae »

Yes I'm sure Jefferson's anti-urban agarianism would have been much more useful to the United States compared to internal improvements, having a central bank, and subsidizing infant industries.
I'm fairly certain the Industrial Revolution would've occurred in the US without protective tariffs to shield inefficient producers from foreign competition and redistribute wealth from consumers, merchants, and farmers to wealthy industrialists. "Internal improvements" was essentially coded language for wasteful corporate welfare, and utterly unnecessary considering the hundreds of private roads and bridges constructed in the first few decades of American history. Finally, I fail to see how the cronyist vehicle that was the Bank of the United States, one of the most corrupt institutions in early US history, can be characterized as essential to the development of modern America.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 12:27:41 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2014, 12:30:46 AM by SPC »

FF.

You may be correct about quantity, but I do not believe that Hamilton was entirely innocent of chattel slavery. http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/2011_winter_spring/hamilton-and-slavery.html

In any case, individuals ought to be assessed based on the context of their time period. I suppose you would condemn Jefferson for being homophobic in addition to being a slaveholder? Was the Magna Carta a horrible document since its crafters all "owned" serfs?

Whereas chattel slavery had unfortunately been a part of American colonial life for nearly two hundred years at the time period, Alexander Hamilton existed in a time period in which the colonies had already revolted against British mercantilist policies, and did more than any other individual to implement those very same British mercantilist policies that had been rejected.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »

One of the greatest FFs of the founding era.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 11:36:30 PM »

Thanks to my dad, who has taken it upon himself to become a Hamilton scholar of types, I have always been interested in this man.  He is also from the Caribbean, right around where we have vacationed a lot, so that's awesome!

FF, definitely.  Hamilton > Jefferson.  Yeah, I said it!
ScottieF

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 11:53:39 PM »

One of my favorite founders. Bit of an elitist, but as previous posters mentioned he was considerably more attuned to where America was heading than his peers. He was in many ways the first "Big Government" liberal in that he was the first major figure in American politics to recognize the need for an active central government that could respond to the issues surrounding industrialization. This was something others (such as Jefferson) failed to grasp and it's a strand of thought that can be followed through to Henry Clay's American System/Whig Party, Lincoln's Union government, the Progressives, the New Deal and the Great Society. Plus he wasn't a slave-holding racist either, so bonus points there.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 12:21:35 AM »

One of my favorite founders. Bit of an elitist, but as previous posters mentioned he was considerably more attuned to where America was heading than his peers. He was in many ways the first "Big Government" liberal in that he was the first major figure in American politics to recognize the need for an active central government that could respond to the issues surrounding industrialization. This was something others (such as Jefferson) failed to grasp and it's a strand of thought that can be followed through to Henry Clay's American System/Whig Party, Lincoln's Union government, the Progressives, the New Deal and the Great Society. Plus he wasn't a slave-holding racist either, so bonus points there.

I hope you're not suggesting that Hamilton in any way had more of a meaningful connection to modern liberalism than Jefferson and the Democratic-Republicans had ... He would be grilled alive for his views on business interests (so would Lincoln) by today's Democrats...
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 04:24:33 AM »

He was a visionary who was wrong about some key things. He had a lot of good ideas that helped the US down the road towards being a superpower. But, given his elitist and autocratic tendencies, it's also a really good thing that his party lost power in 1800.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 12:30:29 AM »

I hope you're not suggesting that Hamilton in any way had more of a meaningful connection to modern liberalism than Jefferson and the Democratic-Republicans had ... He would be grilled alive for his views on business interests (so would Lincoln) by today's Democrats...

This is where we need Mechaman badly. He emphasized the why as much as the how and the what. You are right, Hamilton had a very nationalist view as well as a pro-business one, his policies were framed in the context of both empowering the US as nation and doing so by advancing the interests of its most elite members of society who were the natural source of leadership and so forth in his view. He may have wanted a stronger central gov't and his views (and those of Clay) may have attracted the support of working class voters in some circumstances, that hardly makes them anything remotely resembling a liberal by almost any definition.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 06:51:19 AM »

FF.

Indeed, there is no reasonable way supporting a central bank and import tariffs should be out-libertarian-ed by someone who owned people...

Well, when I look at the people the Libertarians see as the great enemies of freedom and who they see as heroes, my conclusion have been that Libertarians really don't have a big problem with slavery, they just see it as a question about property rights.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies