Opinion of Nonpartisan Blanket Primaries (Jungle, Top-2 etc.)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:05:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Nonpartisan Blanket Primaries (Jungle, Top-2 etc.)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
FP

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Opinion of Nonpartisan Blanket Primaries (Jungle, Top-2 etc.)  (Read 1165 times)
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2014, 02:56:06 AM »

Horrible primary system obviously.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:16:38 AM »

Horrible within the current US political system.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:39:23 AM »

Horrible within the current US political system.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »

I like the idea of it, especially in districts where it's so Democratic/Republican that general election doesn't matter.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 10:52:29 AM »

I like the idea of it, especially in districts where it's so Democratic/Republican that general election doesn't matter.

This is generally its strongest selling point. It has the potential to make more November elections meaningful by putting the two strongest candidates forward. November is when the most voters turn out in a cycle, so it should be when the most meaningful election takes place. In principle a top-2 should improve turnout by making races more competitive, and in any case it shouldn't make them less competitive. Providing voters with the strongest contenders in a competitive race when the is generally seen as a good policy goal for a political system.

So, I'm curious to know why so many find it HP, since no one is responding to anything other than the poll. Is it due to specific races that turned out badly for one's favorite party, or is it the general idea of the top-2 primary and the lack of party control on the process?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 03:32:09 PM »

Unfair and undemocratic.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 03:33:26 PM »

Utterly terrible. Party members are the only people that should have a say in who their party runs for office.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »

Utterly terrible. Party members are the only people that should have a say in who their party runs for office.

But who is a party member? Any voter can sign up for a party and just as easily sign up for a different party (or none at all) after an election is over.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 03:56:21 PM »

What part is undemocratic? In Chicago the mayor and city council are elected with a Louisiana-style blanket primary. If no one gets 50% in the primary they go to the regular election for a runoff. Technically the election is non-partisan, but party officials certainly make it clear which candidates they endorse.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 09:44:25 PM »

What part is undemocratic? In Chicago the mayor and city council are elected with a Louisiana-style blanket primary. If no one gets 50% in the primary they go to the regular election for a runoff. Technically the election is non-partisan, but party officials certainly make it clear which candidates they endorse.
I could tolerate the Louisiana system, except that I think runoffs muck things up too much.  The fact that top two blanket primaries shut third parties out and often force voters to choose between two candidates from the same party makes it undemocratic.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 12:08:57 AM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »

Terrible system
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »

But who is a party member? Any voter can sign up for a party and just as easily sign up for a different party (or none at all) after an election is over.

Then get rid of state-mandated registration and let parties control who they admit and their own requirements for membership. The Democrats and the Republicans alike should be able to manage their own membership, rather than allowing the state to do so for them. This is how European parties and American third parties already work.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »

In the right direction, but it doesn't work right here in the United States. HS.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 12:04:01 AM »

Then get rid of state-mandated registration and let parties control who they admit and their own requirements for membership. The Democrats and the Republicans alike should be able to manage their own membership, rather than allowing the state to do so for them. This is how European parties and American third parties already work.

Which is how the US did it before the public wanted primaries to have a say in the party selection process. In my observation of German elections, the general public had no primary to help form the list of candidates that went to the general election.

So, are you willing to abolish primaries as well as party registration?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 12:06:06 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2014, 12:39:16 AM by muon2 »

In the right direction, but it doesn't work right here in the United States. HS.

But it works in a number of big city elections throughout the US, including cities that are bigger than some states. Why wouldn't it work for statewide elections?

I would also add that the entire Nebraska legislature is elected with a top-2 system (I believe since 1934). They have a technically non-partisan election, but the candidates do identify with parties, just not on the ballot.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 12:15:04 AM »

I could tolerate the Louisiana system, except that I think runoffs muck things up too much.  The fact that top two blanket primaries shut third parties out and often force voters to choose between two candidates from the same party makes it undemocratic.

The runoffs only muck things up for those who want to know the answer on election day (and yes there are a lot of those on the Atlas). I'm willing to be patient. The only date that really matters is when the official is to be sworn in.

The third party argument has some validity, but the current system certainly doesn't help them get into office when they have to fend off two established party organizations.

Is it more democratic in areas dominated by a single party to have only one candidate on the ballot in the general election, or two from the same party? A party has to be overwhelmingly dominant (or the majority party incompetent) to get two from the same party into a runoff.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 12:38:58 AM »

Which is how the US did it before the public wanted primaries to have a say in the party selection process. In my observation of German elections, the general public had no primary to help form the list of candidates that went to the general election.

Sure. I mean if the trade off is stronger parties, then yes, I would be all for it.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 12:42:41 AM »

Sure. I mean if the trade off is stronger parties, then yes, I would be all for it.

I suppose we would then go back to the 1800's for our political system. Roll Eyes
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 01:22:07 AM »

I'm a fan of it here in Washington. Though there are, of course, better systems out there, I prefer it to what most states have.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 09:56:59 AM »

Here's my main objection to it: if primaries happen during the summer, then you're moving the consequential election to a time when abysmally low turnout is the rule. So it wouldn't be increasing voters' ability to select candidates if very few of them actually turn out to vote.

Also, the terminology is off. This makes the primary into the general election, and the general election into the runoff.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »

Here's my main objection to it: if primaries happen during the summer, then you're moving the consequential election to a time when abysmally low turnout is the rule. So it wouldn't be increasing voters' ability to select candidates if very few of them actually turn out to vote.

Also, the terminology is off. This makes the primary into the general election, and the general election into the runoff.

Louisiana have a better system, if run-offs are to be implemented at all. In fact, I think run-offs should be conducted as in France: like a week after the initial election, to prevent turnout dissipating.

I personally like the idea of conventions + IRV which ensures a majority.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 11:23:06 AM »

AV would probably work better. Turnout otherwise is too variable IMO.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »

What if the primary is in the spring such as when many presidential primaries are held? Presumably they would be coincident in presidential years.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Only sort of, since it depends on the details of the model. In a pure top-two, two candidates will move on to the general election even if a candidate got more than 50% in the primary, unless there was only one primary contestant. Then the general election is still a contest.

In Nebraska the primary was on May 13 and 324 K voted out of 1152 K registered (28%). If there was more than one candidate in the primary then the top 2 moved on to the Nov general election. In Nov there were 549 K votes cast statewide out of 1159 K registered (47%). I would think that democracy is better served by putting the higher turnout race for the finals than for the preliminaries. That distinguishes the NE model from the LA model with its true runoff.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 11:09:46 AM »

I don't mind the model for places where the partisan outcome is more or less a foregone conclusion. It would make the general an actual contest between two more evenly matched contestants, at least in theory. But I've got a problem putting most of the context back to a time (whether in spring or in summer, primaries have lower turnout than general elections) when fewer people are engaged with the process.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies