2016 House Ratings: Nowhere But Up From Here (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:22:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2016 House Ratings: Nowhere But Up From Here (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 House Ratings: Nowhere But Up From Here  (Read 9367 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« on: July 08, 2015, 10:06:30 AM »

Alright. Update. Will provide a text version if you so wish.

Your map seems a bit more Dem friendly than the conventional wisdom. I would think the Pubs have an edge in NY-24 due to the quality of the incumbent, and an edge it that Cuban south Florida seat, and MI-01 probably just because the seat has a Pub lean with a Pub incumbent (although not as strong as in AZ-02 and NY-24). Arguably also in PA-08, although that is debatable, due to a deeper bench and Bucks trending a bit to the Pubs. The Heck seat probably should be moved to tilt Pub now. And is NY-24 really that much in play? Ditto that south Illinois seat, also trending Pub, and with a high profile incumbent. But it is all very early, and most are assuming that no party has a tailwind behind them in 2016.

What's special about John Katko?   He's a first term House incumbent with no prior elected offices.    He's not particularly impressive.    The District is D+5 also.

Knocking out an incumbent by 20 points in a D+5 is pretty impressive to me, even in a wave year. If it had been by 5 or even 10 points, I may agree with you.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »

I would say Hardy definitely an underdog, but what he lacked in ideological fit and neat packaging  (he's kind of a gaffe machine) in 2014 he made up for in terms of pounding the pavement, meeting voters, and retailing. I don't think its smart to underestimate him, even if he's not an especially strong candidate on paper.

Especially with how weak the Nevada Democratic Party, I mean, my god, they are throwing away a toss-up district that Heck used to occupy.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:40:20 PM »

I would love to see Al McAffrey competitive but he wasn't in 2014 and I don't think he will be against Steve Russell, who is more moderate than expected.

If McAffrey weren't a gay and Russell got primaried, McAffrey would have a real shot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies