2016 Conventions: Keynote Speakers?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:42:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  2016 Conventions: Keynote Speakers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 Conventions: Keynote Speakers?  (Read 1300 times)
emcee0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:51:39 PM »

Who do you think the two parties should nominate for keynote speaker for each of their conventions?

Imo for Democrats I would easily pick Elizabeth Warren, a fiery progressive who can fire up the democratic base and appeal democrats to the working middle class and fighting against wall street and tying the Republicans to Wall Street deregulation.

Republicans will probably want to go with someone who is not an old white male. Probably a young rising star. Here is a shortlist
Mia Love
Joni Ernst
Marlinda Garcia
Tim Scott
What do you al think?
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 12:50:22 AM »

Republicans would be smart to pick Martinez or Sandoval.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:50:59 AM »

Republicans will probably want to go with someone who is not an old white male. Probably a young rising star. Here is a shortlist
Mia Love
Joni Ernst
Marlinda Garcia
Tim Scott
What do you al think?

What about Brian Sandoval and Rand Paul? I think they would be pretty crazy for not chosing one of those two. Those are the only two prominent Republicans who could expand the party substantially right now.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:54:21 AM »

The most important thing would be to pick an effective spokesman for the party who will not distract from the central message. Elevating someone to rock star status can be useful, but it's not as important.

If Brian Sandoval's not on the ticket, he's an excellent choice for Republicans because he's likely to be running for Senate.

Susanna Martinez would emphasize the diversity of the party.

Tim Scott seems to effective at communicating the party's message.

On the Democratic side, if Lisa Madigan is running for Senate in Illinois, promoting her would make a lot of sense.

Cory Booker gives good speeches, and might help with turnout in the likely event the ticket doesn't include an African-American.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »

What about Cory Gardner?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 11:11:49 AM »

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:12:24 PM »

The RNC Keynote speaker will likely be a minority women Martinez? Condi? For the Ds it might be Kamala Harris who may be running for Senate in 2016.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 02:16:48 PM »

Kamala Harris or Cory Booker for the Dems? For the GOP I'd say Martinez or Gardner.
emcee0
Canada

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »

I thought Martinez wasn't the strongest public speaker?

I chose Elizabeth Warren because she embodies everything the Democratic party needs to embody policy wise in 2016. Be for the middle class and not the corporations. The progressive views of Warren will be a huge boost for democrats and would probably sway disenchanted independents. Even if she is getting older I think most Democrats want to be more progressive and not move to the centre right and that her message will fit well. If they choose someone else I at least hope Warren gets a major time slot.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »

I don't think the Dems are even having a convention...by the time they actually get around to making there selection, the election will either be underway or over...they are probably deliberating on the site for 2020 and not 2016 lol☺
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 07:58:48 PM »

I chose Elizabeth Warren because she embodies everything the Democratic party needs to embody policy wise in 2016. Be for the middle class and not the corporations. The progressive views of Warren will be a huge boost for democrats and would probably sway disenchanted independents. Even if she is getting older I think most Democrats want to be more progressive and not move to the centre right and that her message will fit well. If they choose someone else I at least hope Warren gets a major time slot.

Warren doesn't strike me as someone new and rising for the party considering her age. Usually the speaker is someone who's young and up and coming (Julian Castro, Obama etc.) That's why I mentioned she's young and represents the future of the party.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »

Warren doesn't strike me as someone new and rising for the party considering her age. Usually the speaker is someone who's young and up and coming (Julian Castro, Obama etc.) That's why I mentioned she's young and represents the future of the party.
It partly depends on who the ticket is.

If Hillary has a running mate who represents the future of the party, there's less need to elevate anyone else.

There is another model of a successful keynote: Zell Miller in 2004. Due to his age and the fact he wasn't running for another term as Senator, any future with the Republican party was limited. But a Democratic Governor turned Senator was an effective messenger.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies