Rand Paul on ISIS response: 'This war is now illegal' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:09:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rand Paul on ISIS response: 'This war is now illegal' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rand Paul on ISIS response: 'This war is now illegal'  (Read 2540 times)
Cory
YaBB God

« on: November 10, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »

Isn't he technically wrong anyways? I mean wouldn't our mutual defense agreement with Iraq automatically justify military action in their defense? We don't need Congressional authorization because we're upholding our treaty obligations, right?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »

Isn't he technically wrong anyways? I mean wouldn't our mutual defense agreement with Iraq automatically justify military action in their defense? We don't need Congressional authorization because we're upholding our treaty obligations, right?
Foreign treaties override domestic legislation?

When it comes to military defense treaty's I think the answer if roughly "yes". For example if Russia invades Estonia Obama doesn't need Congressional approval to immediately go to full blown war with Russia. Don't get me wrong Congress can play games with funding but still.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 01:37:46 PM »

So...military conflicts don't count as wars if they involve alliances? Bro, do you even history?

That's not what anyone said. It's that the President doesn't need authorization from Congress to protect an ally with military force at their discretion. If an ally is attacked it counts as a declaration of war against America.

All because you don't agree with something doesn't make it "illegal".
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 01:46:51 PM »

I do not recall the amendment to the Constitution that granted the Iraqi parliament the war powers delegated to Congress.

Again, that's not what anyone said. Iraq (our ally, legally speaking) is under attack. The President has the right to use force to defend them. I'm sorry, but you just aren't going to get around this.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 11:15:46 PM »

He is right, every war we've been in since Vietnam is been illegal.  Only congress and declare war, and they have not done so yet.

Congress has authorized every "war" we've been in since Vietnam, so they've all been legal.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »

They would certainly kill Israelis. We would also find out whether Israel really has an atom bomb. 

No we wouldn't. The Israelis wouldn't need to use nukes against IS. I mean c'mon.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies