California Proposition 5 (2008)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:13:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  California Proposition 5 (2008)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you vote on this proposition?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: California Proposition 5 (2008)  (Read 942 times)
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2014, 02:14:56 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_5_(2008)

From Wikipedia:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

So clearly, it's a big change to existing drug laws. I expect this to be fairly polarizing, even here on Atlas, due to how sweeping it is.

As for me, Yes (I/O).
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »

Yes (D).
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »

I'm all for reducing the severity of sentencing for nonviolent crimes; however, sentence reduction requires several caveats to be satisfied. First, the bill cannot be soft on drug dealing or drug production. Second, the bill cannot leave the poor in an environment of perpetual theft, which is as much a threat to their economic well-being as lack of opportunity, skills, or education.

Normally, I'd over-liberalize and then let the legislature amend, but allowing thieves and dealers to prey on low-income citizens is too much. Prop 5 doesn't look goo enough to me.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »

I'm all for reducing the severity of sentencing for nonviolent crimes; however, sentence reduction requires several caveats to be satisfied. First, the bill cannot be soft on drug dealing or drug production. Second, the bill cannot leave the poor in an environment of perpetual theft, which is as much a threat to their economic well-being as lack of opportunity, skills, or education.

Normally, I'd over-liberalize and then let the legislature amend, but allowing thieves and dealers to prey on low-income citizens is too much. Prop 5 doesn't look goo enough to me.

Not all drug dealing is equal. A working class student who sells cannabis out of his dorm room in order to help pay for books is a lot less harmful to society at-large than is Phillip-Morris, which sells a highly addictive, dangerous product with the full legal sanction of the United States government. In light of that, demanding that the law be tough on drug dealing, without any caveats, is a recipe for mass incarceration.

It's funny that you should say that any such bill would have to 'not leave the poor in an environment of perpetual theft' in order to get your support. The fact of the matter is that the poor are poor because they are perpetual victims of perpetual theft. That their employers pay them far less than the value that their labor products is a testament to that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »

I don't remember this one, but pretty sure I voted yes.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »

Not all drug dealing is equal. A working class student who sells cannabis out of his dorm room in order to help pay for books is a lot less harmful to society at-large than is Phillip-Morris, which sells a highly addictive, dangerous product with the full legal sanction of the United States government. In light of that, demanding that the law be tough on drug dealing, without any caveats, is a recipe for mass incarceration.

It's funny that you should say that any such bill would have to 'not leave the poor in an environment of perpetual theft' in order to get your support. The fact of the matter is that the poor are poor because they are perpetual victims of perpetual theft. That their employers pay them far less than the value that their labor products is a testament to that.

The theft is not derived from capitalism. The theft is derived from politicians who seize property and employment opportunity because they want the political power and vanity associated with creating and administering anti-poverty programs. It's like a doctor who administers poison so he can sell the antidote. Don't worry, arsenic is definitely a cure, and you definitely need to take your dose! Vote Donkey.

I agree that drug dealing has varying degrees of severity. The proposition would need to differentiate between different types of drugs, without falling afoul of federal regulation.

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »

No (R).
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »

I misread this as Proposition 8 for some weird reason.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »

as much as I hate pouring more money into rehab centers, obviously "yes"
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 08:59:46 PM »

Not all drug dealing is equal.

yeah, the "drug dealer" archetype is a lingering Nixonian/Reaganite myth.. most "drug deals" take place between friends
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »

No (R).

Parts of the law I have problems with:

Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 07:38:23 AM »

No (R), I don't think drug sellers should have lower sentences.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 07:49:45 AM »

Agree with it all, apart from interfering with the courts ability to punish parole violators.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 12:43:06 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_5_(2008)

From Wikipedia:

So clearly, it's a big change to existing drug laws. I expect this to be fairly polarizing, even here on Atlas, due to how sweeping it is.

As for me, Yes (I/O).

Yes on the idea, no on the actual proposition. The reason for this is to protest the ability to vote in largesse at the expense of the treasury without a requirement that a funding mechanism be attached to it.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »

Yes (D). It does seem like a good portion of this is now law in California. I know the last point was enacted to prevent Prop 19 from passing.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 03:33:41 PM »

No (I/O), I don't support more useless rehabilitation funding.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies