Young Catholics Seek Restoration of Conservative Sexual Values
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:51:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Young Catholics Seek Restoration of Conservative Sexual Values
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Young Catholics Seek Restoration of Conservative Sexual Values  (Read 1168 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2005, 03:59:11 AM »
« edited: April 15, 2005, 01:12:26 PM by Frodo »

Young Catholics Seek to Restore Old Values on Sex

By LAURIE GOODSTEIN
Published: April 14, 2005

ROME, April 13 - No matter who is chosen as the next pope, John Paul II has left behind a generation of committed young Roman Catholics who are already shaping the church in a more conservative mold than did their parents. Church leaders call them Generation John Paul II.

In the 1970's, in the wake of the Vatican II Council, he said, priests let many traditions fall by the wayside. Now, he said, the younger generation is reviving devotional practices more familiar to their grandparents than their parents.

This trend might not be limited to Catholic youth. Leaders of other faiths, including Jews and Muslims in the United States, say that in recent years they too have noticed a renewed interest in traditional religious practices among young people who are engaged in their religion, raising the possibility that the John Paul II generation of Catholics may simply be mirroring a larger generational trend.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/14/international/worldspecial2/14youth.html

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 05:51:11 AM »

I did a poll on this earlier but there were very few votes.

However, when has the Catholic church NOT in general been conservative on sex?

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 01:43:30 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2005, 01:46:14 PM by Flyers2006 »

What crock!  I'd like to find the TRUE source of this nonsense.  Is this a normally conservative or liberal writer?  I find there are media sources that like to construe how people actually think.  Prime example was a Time magazine article saying the youth voter was more conservative than their parents.  They could not be any farther from the truth!  Just look at last election results.  They did not take into consideration Catholics who left the freaking church which is a fairly large number.  I think it's due to their sexually repressive "values."
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 01:55:15 PM »

What crock!  I'd like to find the TRUE source of this nonsense.  Is this a normally conservative or liberal writer?  I find there are media sources that like to construe how people actually think.  Prime example was a Time magazine article saying the youth voter was more conservative than their parents.  They could not be any farther from the truth!  Just look at last election results.  They did not take into consideration Catholics who left the freaking church which is a fairly large number.  I think it's due to their sexually repressive "values."

Don't call yourself a Catholic, please.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 05:08:52 PM »

So Flyers basically the Catholic church should accept abortion and licentious sexual attitudes because a few Americans left the church.  Give me a break.  Most Catholics who left the church belong outside of the church.  You can choose the MTV values or the church's.  not both.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 09:56:02 PM »

patrick, based on what you've said you aren't exactly living up to the church's extremely repressive sexual doctrine either (I'm definately not saying that's a bad thing though). And how many Catholics have used condoms at some point?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 10:14:28 PM »

One question that you should ask is how many "young Catholics" are left in the Church?

Perhaps a greater percentage of young practicing Catholics support these values.  There may be fewer of them, because the ones that don't have not stayed within the Church.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 03:05:59 AM »

patrick, based on what you've said you aren't exactly living up to the church's extremely repressive sexual doctrine either (I'm definately not saying that's a bad thing though). And how many Catholics have used condoms at some point?

Thank you!  At least I'll admit it instead of some people, including some fo my friends, that preach this nonsense and have premarital sex at will. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 03:51:18 AM »

If this is true, it is yet more evidence that we're sliding backwards into the dark ages.  Which wouldn't surprise me.  People are afraid to live what life they have, and cling to this absurd nonsense about rules and the fanciful concoction of a life after death.  What a waste.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 07:06:45 AM »

One question that you should ask is how many "young Catholics" are left in the Church?

Perhaps a greater percentage of young practicing Catholics support these values.  There may be fewer of them, because the ones that don't have not stayed within the Church.

Part of the reason Pope John Paul II is considered so great is all he did to keep young people in the church.  Even at 70+ years old he was, in many ways, the youngest Pope ever.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 09:29:17 AM »

The Catholic Church's dotrines on sexuality are based on the idea of supreme moral idealism.  We should preserve that ideal regardless of what many people's "reality" might be.  That is why we are a moral institution, not a secular one.
MissCatholic

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 10:07:43 AM »

I have no problem with the Catholic church being conservative.

- i am against gay marriage.
- i am against the use of contraception
- i am against abortion

But we live in a country where i believe people have the right to do what they chose. if they want to get the morning after pill then no pharmacist has the right to object. thats there choice. you live your life how you see fit.

We must all be responsible in the decisions that we make. but we cannot use our faith and what we believe on other people. if a girl wants to have an abortion - yes i`m agaisnt it and want her to consider other options - but if thats her decision then fine - its your life.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 10:15:39 AM »

Thank you!  At least I'll admit it instead of some people, including some fo my friends, that preach this nonsense and have premarital sex at will. 

I have a coworker who is the epitome of this. She has pictures of Mary and Passion of the Christ posters all over her cubicle, and based on what she says she turns into a female opebo over the weekend, until she goes to church. She is hot though, so I have no problems with her being a hypocrite, especially if it's with me Smiley
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 02:25:43 PM »

I have a coworker who is the epitome of this. She has pictures of Mary and Passion of the Christ posters all over her cubicle, and based on what she says she turns into a female opebo over the weekend, until she goes to church. She is hot though, so I have no problems with her being a hypocrite, especially if it's with me Smiley

Don't blame you there.  Funny I think I told you about the end of a Mass a while back and the "Generation Life" girl from LaSalle University.  There was another one!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies