NE2: Regional Voting Regulations Act 2014 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:17:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Regional Voting Regulations Act 2014 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: Regional Voting Regulations Act 2014 (Failed)  (Read 738 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »
« edited: November 21, 2014, 10:02:00 PM by Speaker SWE »

Regional Voting Regulations Act 2014

Section 1.
1. This act applies to all regional elections held within the Northeast, but not those conducted by the Northeast for the federal government, such as constitutional amendments.
2. Upon posting their ballot in the voting booth, every voters shall have a window of exactly twenty minutes from the time-stamp on their post to edit their ballot.
3. Any edit made after the expiry of the twenty minutes shall render the entire ballot invalid.

Section 2.
1. The relevant administrator of the election shall be charged with posting the guideline outlined in Sections 1.2 and 1.3 in the voting booth.
2. Any part of Northeast statute that conflicts with the act is repealed in every part that contains the conflict.
3. This act takes effect on becoming law.

Sponsor: Representative Barnes

Debate on this bill will last for 72 hours, or until 10:17 PM on Thursday, November 13, unless otherwise modified or extended. The sponsor has 36 hours to advocate for this proposed legislation. If he does not, this bill will be tabled as there is other pending legislation in the queue.
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 11:59:45 AM »

Sounds reasonable to me; I can't think of any objections.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:21:16 PM »

Sounds reasonable.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:39:44 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2014, 03:42:53 PM by Dallasfan65 »

I'd support this.

However, I seem to recall us having either an existing law or Constitutional amendment that prohibits any ballot editing - but I'm having trouble finding it now. Can somebody clear this up for me?

Also while we're at it we might want to codify an official sample ballot/OP.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:25:28 PM »

Thanks, Mr. Speaker.  The reasons behind this bill are fairly clear, I think.  There was confusion at the last Assembly election over counting edited ballots, and what legislation is actually in effect to regulate ballots.  I believe that it's best for the regulations surrounding voting in the Northeast to follow those on the federal level as much as possible, so as to remove any confusion a voter might have between the two systems.

The window on ballot editing should be easy to monitor and enforce, and by passing this bill, it will be clear in statute exactly what the election administrator's responsibilities are in this regard. 

To address Dallas's point, there is law the forbids ballot editing, but it would be repealed under this bill.  I would certainly be in favor of providing a sample ballot - I'll probably get on that later as an amendment. Grin
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 01:22:58 PM »

I move the following amendment:

Regional Voting Regulations Act 2014

Section 1.
1. This act applies to all regional elections held within the Northeast, but not those conducted by the Northeast for the federal government, such as constitutional amendments.
2. Upon posting their ballot in the voting booth, every voters shall have a window of exactly twenty minutes from the time-stamp on their post to edit their ballot.
3. Any edit made after the expiry of the twenty minutes shall render the entire ballot invalid.

Section 2.
1. The relevant administrator of the election shall be charged with posting the guideline outlined in Sections 1.2 and 1.3 in the voting booth.  The form of the ballot shall be outlined in Section 3.
2. Any part of Northeast statute that conflicts with the act is repealed in every part that contains the conflict.
3. This act takes effect on becoming law.

Section 3.
1. The relevant election administrator shall provide the following text, or a text that conveys the same meaning and definition, in the opening post of the voting booth: "Editing the post containing your ballot in any way after 20 minutes of it being posted will invalidate your entire ballot."

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 06:33:50 PM »

I was thinking something along these lines:

As _______, I hereby declare this polling place open at 12:01am EST on _________.

This is the Northeast regional polling booth for the _____ election. In this polling place, Northeast citizens are electing five members to the Assembly.

Votes for offices in this region are cast using PR-STV.  Voters who wish to preference more than one candidate should allocate a first preference for a candidate by marking a [1] in the space provided by that candidate's name, and proceeding to number as many preferences as they desire by marking a [2], [3], etc for as many candidates as they so desire.

A vote will be counted so long as the voter that casts it is eligible to vote in this election and casts  a formal ballot. A vote is formal so long as it contains numbered preferences with no duplicate numbers. A ballot containing Roman Numerals is not considered informal. A ballot in which candidates have been ranked a,b,c, etc is not considered informal so long as no letter has been repeated, and so long as a single candidate has been ranked a, for as long as the letters are consecutive with no duplicate letters. A ballot is formal if the CJO can determine the intent of the voter without interviewing that voter.

Per past practice, write-in votes are only counted for a candidate if he or she publicly declares a willingness to receive write-in votes for a particular office in the [name of election] before the polls close in the Candidate Declaration Thread or writes in his or her own name on the ballot for that particular office.

Votes for "NOTA" or "None of the Above" for any office are formal regardless of the preference assigned to it. Should a voter preference "NOTA" as well as other candidates, only his vote for "NOTA" will be counted.

This booth shall remain open until _____ at 11:59:59 PM EST.

Official Ballot

Northeast Assembly
Five people will be elected to the Assembly.

[ ] A
[ ] B
[ ] C
[ ] D
[ ] E
[ ] Write-in:____________
[ ] None of the Above
[ ] Abstain

It's a bit much but we could always have a blank template in the Civic Information Thread.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 09:25:16 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2014, 09:51:17 PM by Poirot »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is that part enforced these days? I think votes including NOTA as a numbered preference have not been rejected.

The Federal Elections Officer counts the preferences above the one given to NOTA as valid. (I hope I said it right). 
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 10:36:22 PM »

Is that part enforced these days? I think votes including NOTA as a numbered preference have not been rejected.

The Federal Elections Officer counts the preferences above the one given to NOTA as valid. (I hope I said it right). 

I mostly just copypasta'd that from a previous voting booth I opened. I'd be fine with getting rid of NOTA outright since I'm not sure it's constructive to have it as an option.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 11:06:08 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2014, 11:08:29 AM by Barnes »

As CJO, I enforced the NOTA provisions in every voting booth that I maintained. I wouldn't be opposed to removing the option, however.

Also, Dallas, thanks for making the whole sample ballot. I was planning on it but then other things got in the way! Wink
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 04:02:59 PM »

As CJO, I enforced the NOTA provisions in every voting booth that I maintained. I wouldn't be opposed to removing the option, however.

There seems to be a difference between federal and regional treatment of NOTA. I will leave it to the assembly to decide if the region should harmonize or not. I was just questioning if we were having this on the ballot instructions for nothing. Voters should be more aware and careful in using NOTA on regional ballot.   
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »

Also, Dallas, thanks for making the whole sample ballot. I was planning on it but then other things got in the way! Wink

I just copy and pasted it from one of my old voting booths but it might be good for each of us to give it a once-over before we make anything official.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »

We should probably get a vote.

FTR I'll be voting nay since there's still a bit of work to do on this.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »

The entire procedure seems to have slipped over the last few days.  I move to extend debate if such a motion is still in order. 

If such a motion is not in order, I will advise all members not to approve the legislation as it stands and wait until a further revised version is reintroduced.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »

The voting period is now over. Representatives will now vote on this bill, as written:

Voting will last for 48 hours or until all representatives have voted.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »

Nay
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »

Nay
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 08:09:46 PM »

Nay
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 09:49:18 PM »

Nay
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »

The voting period is now over. By a vote of 0-4, this bill fails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies