GOP makes gains with White Catholics in 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:50:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GOP makes gains with White Catholics in 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GOP makes gains with White Catholics in 2014  (Read 1848 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:16:05 AM »

Article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not this white Catholic!

As frustrating as it is disappointing, IMO. White Catholics are ignoring the Pope's warnings against neoliberalism and voting GOP because they're supposed to be against the ACA, which is one of the most pro-life bills ever passed.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »

There's no such thing as making gains in a record low 36% turnout election. They simply made fewer losses with White Catholics than the Democrats did.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:08:13 PM »

Those pesky neo-liebruls
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »

This white Catholic voted the Democratic ticket.

This demographic will come back around. Obama is no longer well liked among Catholics because of the issue with Catholic hospitals and abortion coverage in the ACA. I don't think it is a long-term shift.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »

There's no such thing as making gains in a record low 36% turnout election. They simply made fewer losses with White Catholics than the Democrats did.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »

Congratetum Filipus!
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »

Yeah, except for the fact that it includes abortion. Apparently you forgot that the Stupak amendment failed.

Any party that treats Abortion like a sacrament and supports gay marriage is going to get demolished by White Catholics.

Like myself.
GaussLaw
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »

Yeah, except for the fact that it includes abortion. Apparently you forgot that the Stupak amendment failed.

Any party that treats Abortion like a sacrament and supports gay marriage is going to get demolished by White Catholics.

Like myself.

Honestly, the truth is somewhere in the middle with the ACA.........it may reduce total # of abortions but it also does have some indirect ties with funding abortion.  I'm an Evangelical (but like Catholicism) and for me, the biggest thing is those Supreme Court nominations.  I don't want to vote for Senators who will vote to confirm pro-choice judges(and especially reject pro-life judges), especially on the Supreme Court.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 07:40:40 PM »

^ I'm pro-life, but I'm not gonna vote for a party thats bent on screwing the poor.

This is really why we need some sort of Christian democratic movement in the USA. Maybe then less religious groups would be in bed with the Republicans.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »

^ I'm pro-life, but I'm not gonna vote for a party thats bent on screwing the poor.

This is really why we need some sort of Christian democratic movement in the USA. Maybe then less religious groups would be in bed with the Republicans.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 08:16:16 PM »

Can we get randian supporting poor hating Catholics who vote GOP to be excommunicated ?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »

http://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/benefits-administration-letters/2013/13-207.pdf

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/mar/21/blog-posting/does-barack-obamas-health-care-bill-include-1-abor/
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »

What will happen to progressive-leaning pro-life catholics, fundamentalists, evangelicals and other pro-life pro-new deal people when Roe is overturned??
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 10:06:45 PM »

What will happen to progressive-leaning pro-life catholics, fundamentalists, evangelicals and other pro-life pro-new deal people when Roe is overturned??

A lot of that would depend on what happens with other social issues.  Does the Supreme Court just rule against abortion, or does it rule for the right on the entire basket of modern social issues over a few years.  Was it a 5/4 decision authored by a 90-year-old Scalia or was it 7/2?  The left certainly knows what a nightmare ensued in the 1880's when they gave up on that era's social issues.  So I think the most likely outcome would be all social issues, all the time for 12-24 years afterward until a more moderate consensus is restored, particularly if it isn't just abortion but regression on other issues where the moderately religious lean progressive.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 10:15:58 PM »

I'm one of those who supported the Democrats' congressional candidate last time but the Republicans' this time Tongue

Though it has a lot more to do with me voting in a different state than anything else. I actually voted straight-ticket Republican this year for the first time in my life. As long as I'm in Madison it will probably continue.

As for the topic if the thread, I would have been shocked if the result was anything else. White Catholics on the whole vote as a somewhat swing demographic with a slight populist lean and slight Republican lean. Given the overall result, it's no surprise white Catholics voted as we did. I wouldn't read much into it.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »

It still does fund abortion to whatever extent money is fungible: plans covering abortion must set up two separate accounts one paying for abortions and one for everything else with the stipulation that federal money cannot be put into the abortion account except in case of rape or incest. So instead the federal money can be put into the other account and private funds shifted to the abortion account as needed (unless the abortion account was more than the private funds, but that would never happen anyway). The net result being that while the federal funds are prohibited from going directly into the abortion account, the fungibility of money means that they are effectively still subsidizing abortion coverage. The federal government can recite whatever talking points it wants, the fact that the government is subsidizing abortion through the account for the other services in the plans remains.

The Stupak Amendment would have closed this loophole by requiring plans covering abortion to charge a rider fee to pay specifically for the abortion coverage. As Ben Kenobi notes, it failed.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 12:23:57 AM »

White Catholics = olds

And there you have it. The reason for this and the whole election summed up.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 06:25:03 AM »

American Catholicism is strange.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »

Nothing indirect about the abortion funding for Obamacare. It's why the Stupak Amendment to removed abortion funding failed. Abortion is considered a core part of the program.

It's also why no Catholic in good standing can support Obamacare.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 06:26:13 PM »

Ah. So killing the poor is more merciful than letting them live. Life comes first. You can't help the poor if they are dead.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 06:29:32 PM »

Which explains this:

http://www.catholic.org/news/national/story.php?id=53796

I'm not sure how the Obama administration suing the little sisters of the poor is helping the poor.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »

I am a white Catholic who would have voted for the straight Republican ticket if I weren't 16. Btw, this whole trend with white Catholics follows an overall trend of whites in general becoming more heavily Republican each cycle since 1976. I hope that soon the GOP will be winning >80% of the white vote.
GaussLaw
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 06:41:28 PM »

I am a white Catholic who would have voted for the straight Republican ticket if I weren't 16. Btw, this whole trend with white Catholics follows an overall trend of whites in general becoming more heavily Republican each cycle since 1976. I hope that soon the GOP will be winning >80% of the white vote.

No.  The last thing this country needs is more racial polarization.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »

More liberal than European Catholicism? I'm intrigued.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 10:07:24 PM »

Alas, that won't happen without proportional representation. Then we could actually vote in American elections without holding our noses Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies