LDS Church acknowledges Joseph Smith's polygamy for the first time (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:42:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  LDS Church acknowledges Joseph Smith's polygamy for the first time (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LDS Church acknowledges Joseph Smith's polygamy for the first time  (Read 4217 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: November 11, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »

As anal as the Mormons are about genealogy, it's odd that they haven't done so already.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »

Man makes up a religion. As part of that he gets to legitimise being a sexual predator by gifting himself a harem.

And yet despite that, the fact is that as a group Mormons are probably some of the nicest people one can meet, so long as you don't meet any of those that still practice polygamy.
Being nice is a poor substitute for condemning sexual predators.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »

Man makes up a religion. As part of that he gets to legitimise being a sexual predator by gifting himself a harem.

And yet despite that, the fact is that as a group Mormons are probably some of the nicest people one can meet, so long as you don't meet any of those that still practice polygamy.
So are you planning on joining the same church as Chris Hansen?
I have no intentions of joining any religious group, but if I were, I certainly would avoid any of them that shamelessly shun gay people while simultaneous celebrating monstrous sexual practices. Do you condone an adult man marrying multiple teenaged girls?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 04:41:51 PM »

So are you planning on joining the same church as Chris Hansen?
I have no intentions of joining any religious group, but if I were, I certainly would avoid any of them that shamelessly shun gay people while simultaneous celebrating monstrous sexual practices. Do you condone an adult man marrying multiple teenaged girls?
No I don't condone such things, but neither does the CoJC&LDS today.  They haven't done that for over a century.  Luther was anti-Semetic, does that mean Lutheranism today is horrible?  I'll leave the past to the past and judge a church, or any other organization, by what it does today.  Now, it's treatment of gays is a valid concern as that is still part of the Mormon church today, tho when it comes to such matters it hardly is the most extreme of the denominations that still hold a traditional view of homosexuality.
So you view a church as merely an organization and its founder not as a bearer of eternal truth? Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of belonging to a religion?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies