LDS Church acknowledges Joseph Smith's polygamy for the first time (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:22:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  LDS Church acknowledges Joseph Smith's polygamy for the first time (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LDS Church acknowledges Joseph Smith's polygamy for the first time  (Read 4227 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: November 11, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »

Man makes up a religion. As part of that he gets to legitimise being a sexual predator by gifting himself a harem.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 01:03:11 AM »

Man makes up a religion. As part of that he gets to legitimise being a sexual predator by gifting himself a harem.

And yet despite that, the fact is that as a group Mormons are probably some of the nicest people one can meet, so long as you don't meet any of those that still practice polygamy.

I've not had that experience. Even with those as a couple that we know but refused to attend our wedding. Or my gay former Mormon friend who's family don't speak with him and tried to deny access to his sons.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »

Is a 14 year old wife really a sexual predator in the old west? I feel like it would be more commonplace, though the harem would not be.

I didn't say that.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2014, 01:32:37 PM by afleitch »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

About time someone here got it right.

This particular 'revelation' lends particular credence to the once contemporary understanding that Mormonism was initially a sex cult.

EDIT: I'll modify this a little. It would be more correct to say that Joseph Smith was clearly, by not only modern but contemporary standards, a sexual predator who manipulated men and women through contrived 'doctrine' for his own sexual desires. We know that Joseph Smith married his friends wives, his friends daughters, his wives maids and impressionable young girls one of whom he would later marry; Mary Rawlins. Some famously said no, despite experiencing what we would now under stand to be sexual harassment; Nancy Rigdon or Sarah Pratt who he publicly slandered. Joseph often explained that an angel of the Lord had revealed the doctrine of plural marriage to him three times since 1834. He would always say how repugnant he was at first and then said that the final time the angel brandished a sword and said he had to obey this or would be slaughtered. Sure Joseph.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies