inelasticity - symptom of societal deficits?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:20:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  inelasticity - symptom of societal deficits?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: inelasticity - symptom of societal deficits?  (Read 764 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »

my opinion is that areas with inelastic voters (the south being the most obvious example) are that way because it is a failed state. A place like WA-8, on the other hand is more elastic because almost all of the things that exist in the south don't exist in a place like WA-8. Reichert, of course, is a moderate-minded congressman and the district is not one that has a liking for demagogues (look at who he ran against in 06 and 08).

Psychometricians and social scientists have talked about human capital and the signs of good human capital and low human capital

Signs of good human capital are as follows:
Achievement Motivation
Altruism
Anorexia (there's a reason why this doesn't exist in human capital deficient Africa)
Artistic Ability
Craftwork
Creativity
Dietary preference for less sugar and fat
Educational Attainment
Emotional Sensitivity
Extracurricular Attainment
health, fitness, longevity
sense of humor
income
breadth and depth of interests
leadership
logical ability
memory
voluntary migration (i.e. mobility)
moral reasoning
motor skills
musical ability
occupational status
perceptual ability
practical knowledge
reading ability
social skills
high SES
spelling ability
talking speed

Signs of Human Capital Deficit
Accident Proneness
Acquiescence
Alcoholism
Authoritarianism
Societal Conservatism
Crime
Delinquency
Dogmatism
Impulsivity
Infant Mortality
Lying
Obesity
Psychoticism
Racial Prejudice
Reaction Time (tends to be higher)
Tobacco use
truancy from school

anyone here agree?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »

Disagree.  There are plenty of very inelastic places where everybody and their brother has a graduate degree.  SF Bay Area/Boston/DC suburbs for example.  The Huntsville area of Alabama (by far the most educated in the state) seems very inflexibly conservative.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »

freepcrusher posting - symptom of terrible moderation?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 04:18:29 PM »

Disagree.  There are plenty of very inelastic places where everybody and their brother has a graduate degree.  SF Bay Area/Boston/DC suburbs for example.  The Huntsville area of Alabama (by far the most educated in the state) seems very inflexibly conservative.

And for the other way, In 2000 West Virginia voted 52-46 Bush while voting 78-20 Byrd.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »

Of course we would like this to be true so we can say that being closed minded is basically a sign that someone should be institutionalized but this just isn't so...or not so enough.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »

The Huntsville area of Alabama (by far the most educated in the state) seems very inflexibly conservative.

weird. I thought that Huntsville has always been the most moderate part of the state. Before he was a senator, John Sparkman represented that area in the house and after he became senator, was represented by Robert Jones for nearly 30 years, where he eventually chaired the public works committee. This area usually was supportive of the federal government because of the TVA and NASA money going their way. Before the VRA, it was usually the most dem district in the state, and even after the VRA was the most dem after the 7th.

Of course with Chairman Mo in office now, that might all be over.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 11:02:49 PM »

Sounds like a societal deficit to me. Smiley
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 11:50:53 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2014, 07:53:48 AM by pbrower2a »

my opinion is that areas with inelastic voters (the south being the most obvious example) are that way because it is a failed state. A place like WA-8, on the other hand is more elastic because almost all of the things that exist in the south don't exist in a place like WA-8. Reichert, of course, is a moderate-minded congressman and the district is not one that has a liking for demagogues (look at who he ran against in 06 and 08).

Psychometricians and social scientists have talked about human capital and the signs of good human capital and low human capital

Achievement Motivation
Altruism
Anorexia (there's a reason why this doesn't exist in human capital deficient Africa)
Artistic Ability
Craftwork
Creativity
Educational Attainment
Emotional Sensitivity
sense of humor
income
leadership
logical ability
memory
moral reasoning
motor skills
musical ability
occupational status
perceptual ability
practical knowledge
reading ability
social skills
high SES
spelling ability
talking speed

Such things either cause prosperity, result from prosperity, or are what people get away with due to prosperity. Anorexia is a not-so-great consequence of prosperity.

People believe in themselves and in commercial and public institutions. People value education even for non-material values (like access to culture).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Again, contributing factors -- like poor education, a corrupt economic order, incompetence in the public sector, for-profit institutions that serve only the well-connected. Political leaders  are likely to use divide-and-conquer, with those on the wrong side of the divide being scapegoated or ignored. People either become accomplices or victims.

Obesity, alcoholism, and tobacco use reflect that people are very low on the hierarchy of needs of Abraham Maslow. People who have grown up with food insecurity may get their chance to gorge on high-sugary, high-fat (but cheap) foods. Highly-nutritive foods light in calories like asparagus, broccoli, and carrots may give more satisfaction to some. Where I live the Wal*Mart has plenty of customers who get around on carts because they are so obese that they can hardly walk. Do I need to tell you what they buy? They seem to avoid the fruit and vegetable aisles. Alcoholism is clearly for losers; nutritionally, alcohol is almost as close to empty calories as (gaak!) sodas loaded with high-fructose corn sweeteners.  Tobacco? I have told people poorer than I  why I don't smoke -- basically, I can't afford it. Really -- I have better uses for my money than to smoke or chew tobacco. Alcoholism, obesity, and tobacco use all contribute to poor health and reduced lifespans.

Ill-educated people are much more gullible. Well-educated people expect a merchant to make a profit; ill-educated people may be enticed by the lie that the merchant is losing money on the deal. That's before I even discuss politics.

You failed to explain 'inelasticity'. In the context, 'inelastic' voters prevailed in 2014, and should they prevail, then the new America will be a very nasty place -- on in which rigid, hierarchical thinking is the norm, in which inter-group tensions that may now become the least of our problems intensify, in which crime (for lack of alternatives) becomes more common and severe, overall health deteriorates, drug abuse  proliferates, and the educational system fails. Economic relationships will become exploitative in the extreme, and such will poison the rest of life -- with  a tendency for wild swings between reaction and Left demagoguery.

justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »

Achievement Motivation
Altruism
Artistic Ability
Craftwork
Creativity
Educational Attainment
Emotional Sensitivity
sense of humor
income
leadership
logical ability
memory
moral reasoning
motor skills
musical ability
occupational status
perceptual ability
practical knowledge
reading ability
social skills
high SES
spelling ability
talking speed

Signs of Human Capital Deficit
Accident Proneness
Acquiescence
Alcoholism
Authoritarianism
Societal Conservatism
Crime
Delinquency
Dogmatism
Impulsivity
Infant Mortality
Lying
Obesity
Psychoticism
Racial Prejudice
Reaction Time (tends to be higher)
Tobacco use
truancy from school

anyone here agree?

Very interesting list.  Do you have a link to a story behind the list?  Btw what is SES?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 02:45:58 PM »

Very interesting list.  Do you have a link to a story behind the list?  Btw what is SES?

SES = Socioeconomic Status
I found these attributes here on page 87
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »

From Wiki:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socioeconomic_status

High: Long Island is an example of generally high SES.
Low: Owsley County, Kentucky is an example of pervasively-low SES.

High: American Jews and Japanese-Americans on the whole do well.
Low: First Peoples on reservations in South Dakota don't.

High: College professors do well even if underpaid.
Low: Domestic servants are  low in SES.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies