Are you greatly bothered by the Dachau massacre?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:33:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Are you greatly bothered by the Dachau massacre?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are you greatly bothered by the Dachau massacre?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Are you greatly bothered by the Dachau massacre?  (Read 15847 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 06:58:03 PM »

The guards were enforcers. They are just fortunate that they weren't incinerated alive in the crematoria.

After several months or years of seeing no justice, it is not surprising that inmates turned on guilty guards. Inmates knew who the worst of the worst were. Anyone in the employ of the camp system should have surrendered to the Allied armies to whom they had committed no crimes.   
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 07:32:11 PM »

They were human beings who were victims of their society and government just as much so as the prisoners they watched over.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 07:57:33 PM »

They were human beings who were victims of their society and government just as much so as the prisoners they watched over.

That's a disgusting thing to say.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 08:26:51 PM »

^^^

Anyways, I can't say I don't relate to the soldiers (or that I wouldn't have participated).  They walked into that camp seeing bodies strewn like garbage, bodies stuffed in rail cars...The men who committed those crimes did not deserve to live.

They saved them a long trial at Nuremberg.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 10:25:37 PM »

No it's not. The idea that I was addressing is what's disgusting.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 12:13:59 AM »

While there is something to what Libertas says (war victimizes the non-politicians on all sides), I do find it rather disturbing to suggest the guards were as much victims as the prisoners. Whether that is more disturbing than the suggestion that nobody should care about the killing of another human being because of that person's affiliations, I don't know.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »

While there is something to what Libertas says (war victimizes the non-politicians on all sides), I do find it rather disturbing to suggest the guards were as much victims as the prisoners. Whether that is more disturbing than the suggestion that nobody should care about the killing of another human being because of that person's affiliations, I don't know.

Consider what the nazis did to complete innocents. This was simply justice in the fast forward method. Was it slightly unethical? Perhaps. Was it unjustifiable? Hell no. War is hell and for all the much more horrific crimes that were committed by the Nazis and Japanese what the US soldiers did was mild in comparison.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 12:48:28 AM »

Consider what the nazis did to complete innocents. This was simply justice in the fast forward method. Was it slightly unethical? Perhaps. Was it unjustifiable? Hell no. War is hell and for all the much more horrific crimes that were committed by the Nazis and Japanese what the US soldiers did was mild in comparison.

I don't consider revenge to be justice, though I suppose we ought to agree to disagree.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2010, 03:17:12 AM »

Dehumanizing entire groups of people based on the actions of some is what enabled the Nazi programme in the first place.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »

Dehumanizing entire groups of people based on the actions of some is what enabled the Nazi programme in the first place.

Eh, no. There was no Jewish conspiracy to blame the Jews for in the first place, you see.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »

No
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2014, 08:48:12 PM »

Slightly, but it ain't gonna keep me up at night if you get my drift.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »

Why did you bump this thread, Mung Beans?
KCDem

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »

Violence is wrong. Funny to see the leftists embrace it all the time.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 11:24:59 PM »

Revenge for war crimes is not an excuse to commit further war crimes.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »

I mean "greatly bothered" is hyperbole, but I would have preferred them to be tried judicially. It certainly isn't the worst war crime of the Allies though - I can fully understand the motive of the Allied soldiers, especially after what they had discovered.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »

To show the western nations are civil, unlike the Nazis who were barbaric and murderous thugs, what should have happened is for all the SS personnel at this camp to be arrested, held for trial, tried, with witnesses called, and, if found guilty of any crime,  to be punished accordingly, likely hanged by the neck until dead, or firing squad.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2014, 09:56:54 PM »

I voted yes.  It's not the worst thing that United States soldiers have done, but it was ugly.  Still, I have never been in a war.  I have never felt the disorder of post-traumatic stress.  I have never stumbled upon a field strewn with human remains.  I try not to judge the soldiers too harshly.  I do think that we ought never to forget, however, that our military commanders should be adequately trained and prepared, and especially vetted, for the terror that they might encounter, lest they repeat those terrors.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »

Not at all. The enemies of the people were liquidated. Revenge killing is sometimes a good thing. Real life isn't a elementary school classroom.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »

The only good fascist is a dead fascist, so no.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »

Not at all. The enemies of the people were liquidated. Revenge killing is sometimes a good thing. Real life isn't a elementary school classroom.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »

This was technical wrong and a war crime, but do I lose sleep over it, not really. There are a lot of thing in world war to lose sleep over, including things done against Germans and Italians by the western allies, but vigilante murders against mass murders, I doubt that's in the top million things done in WWII I could  be bothered over.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2014, 09:50:12 AM »

It's so easy to judge from safe historical distance. Honestly, after seeing the horrors of the Nazi camps on my own eyes, I don't know how I would react back then.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies