IL-Sen. 2016 Thread: Duckworth nearly triples Kirk Q2 fundraising
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:43:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Sen. 2016 Thread: Duckworth nearly triples Kirk Q2 fundraising
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Author Topic: IL-Sen. 2016 Thread: Duckworth nearly triples Kirk Q2 fundraising  (Read 56495 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 02:01:34 PM »

If Duckworth is the nominee, then Kirk will win. I am 100% confident of that.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »

If Duckworth is the nominee, then Kirk will win. I am 100% confident of that.

So corrupt banker Giannoulias came within two points of Kirk in 2010 but Duckworth a wounded Iraq War vet won't beat Kirk in a Presidential year? A lot of people on here seem to really be overestimating Kirk as a candidate.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »

Madigan is definitely Kirk's worse fear his second would be Duckworth. Between Madigan, Duckworth, and Bustos if I were him I'd rather run against Bustos.

Duckworth is a pretty underwhelming campaigner, Madigan is too entrenched, Bustos is neither of those things.

I have no doubt all three could defeat Kirk.

I don't disagree with that. But could is different from will. Underestimating Kirk is stupid.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »

Madigan is definitely Kirk's worse fear his second would be Duckworth. Between Madigan, Duckworth, and Bustos if I were him I'd rather run against Bustos.

Duckworth is a pretty underwhelming campaigner, Madigan is too entrenched, Bustos is neither of those things.

I don't disagree with that. But could is different from will. Underestimating Kirk is stupid.

No, I'm being realistic. Kirk is an anonymous Republican Senator in a deep blue state who barely won in a wave year against a corrupt opponent. What makes you think he'll win against a top recruit like Duckworth or Madigan he is not Chuck Grassley he can be beaten easily.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »

No, I'm being realistic. Kirk is an anonymous Republican Senator in a deep blue state who barely won in a wave year against a corrupt opponent. What makes you think he'll win against a top recruit like Duckworth or Madigan he is not Chuck Grassley he can be beaten easily.

um... I'm not saying he'll win. I'm saying it's possible. Especially against someone who is a weak campaigner.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »

IL-SEN will be the AR-SEN of that cycle, it will require a lot less money with a Madigan run.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »

PA-SEN, WI-SEN, IL-SEN will be key in taking control as well as either NH-SEN and or FL-SEN.
All we need is candidates aside from PA and we will be in good shape should Clinton be the standard barrier.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »

What Kirk should fear is a competent Democrat from downstate running against him. Three names quickly come to mind that fit that profile: Cheri Bustos, Mike Frerichs, and Sheila Simon. Any part of downstate being peeled away would be fatal (even if Frerichs loses to Cross, notice how close he came in 2014 of all years) -- Republicans need to landslide outside of the Chicago area to win. There are competent Chicagoland candidates -- Tom Dart and Mike Quigley are being bandied about, and I think they're both possibilities -- but they don't start with this key advantage of being able to make a play for "usually-statewide-Republican" voters from the start.

IL-SEN will be the AR-SEN of that cycle, it will require a lot less money with a Madigan run.

Madigan has declined to run statewide three times in a row (IL-Gov-'10, IL-Sen-'10, IL-Gov-'14). In no case was she ever pushed out by a stronger candidate -- she simply chose not to run. Word is she wants to be Governor, but is waiting either for an optimal year or for Speaker Madigan to retire first. I really doubt Madigan will run.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »

Geaux Joe!

KCDem

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »

LOL Joe Walsh. What a clown!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »

Joe Walsh is actually a piece of sh**t. I don't care that he may or may not run against Mark Kirk, no skin off my back, but he's just an abysmal person and everyone should vote against him. Arch-conservatives shouldn't even like him.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »

The only things I've heard about Dart is he basically ignored the Cook County ordinance decriminalizing marijuana and just kept cracking down on it and tried to sue Craigslist over its adult ads. Hope we do better than him.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2014, 04:42:20 PM »

Walsh 2016!
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »

Duckworth "interested, open, and curious" about a run

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/224213-report-duckworth-interested-open-and-curious-about-senate-run
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »

Actually kind of excited to see Walsh run and to see Kirk destroy him. Illinois has a ridiculous, super-early primary (in, I think, February), so it shouldn't do Kirk any lasting damage, strengthen his moderate credentials, and Walsh's defeat would rule him out as a candidate in Illinois ever again.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2014, 07:40:08 PM »

It would be interesting to see if Kirk could become the Kay Hagan of 2016: good campaign, flawed challenger, personally inoffensive, but still taken down by the environment and electorate.

The thing going against Hagan was the fact she voted with Obama 96% of the time and Obama's popularity being underwater. Kirk won't have that against him.

In addition, he has a distinct advantage over Hagan of being a true moderate able to engage in bipartisan initiatives. And if some of those initiatives become laws, that’s something he can tout in 2016.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »

It would be interesting to see if Kirk could become the Kay Hagan of 2016: good campaign, flawed challenger, personally inoffensive, but still taken down by the environment and electorate.

The thing going against Hagan was the fact she voted with Obama 96% of the time and Obama's popularity being underwater. Kirk won't have that against him.

In addition, he has a distinct advantage over Hagan of being a true moderate able to engage in bipartisan initiatives. And if some of those initiatives become laws, that’s something he can tout in 2016.

Before 2014 Hagan had the same type of approvals as Kirk, she was anonymous with most voters not even knowing who she was the same with Kirk.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »

In case you missed it: Joe Walsh hints at a primary against Kirk

https://twitter.com/walshfreedom/status/533405766141898752

Run, Joe, Run!
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 01:34:21 AM »

Bill Foster quiet regarding running, but Dems rank him as top three

http://atr.rollcall.com/elections-2014-bill-foster-mark-kirk-tammy-duckworth/?dcz=

Duckworth leads Kirk by 1 in early poll, Quinn doesn't

http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/7/71/225623/poll-kirk-duckworth-dead-heat-potential-2016-matchup/
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2014, 04:59:11 PM »

My pick would be Foster, he already beat a moderate Judy Biggert, Tammy Duckworth beat Joe Walsh a tea partier. 
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2014, 07:46:21 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2014, 07:51:17 PM by Vosem »

Duckworth may run, but again I think she's way overrated as a candidate. The strongest candidate in the HoR delegation, for Democrats, is Bustos. (The strongest of the statewide officials is obviously Madigan, then White, but neither of them will run, and past that Frerichs).

My pick would be Foster, he already beat a moderate Judy Biggert, Tammy Duckworth beat Joe Walsh a tea partier.  

Biggert was 75 and past her prime. Foster beat Biggert 58/42, but he beat a state Rep just 53/47 in 2014; by contrast Duckworth beat Walsh 55/45 and then a total no-name 56/44 in 2014. Their districts are identical PVI.

As another note, in a less-Democratic district than either Bustos beat a new but fairly strong incumbent 53/47 in 2012, and then faced another legitimate challenge in 2014 and beat him back 55/45. That seems to me to be a stronger record than Foster's or Duckworth's.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2014, 12:59:54 AM »

Foster is relatively boring, does not have Illinois roots, and represents a Chicagoland district.

Bustos is more dynamic, does have Illinois roots, and represents a 'downstate' district.

Bustos would be more competitive.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2014, 06:43:09 AM »

In another district, Hassert's district,  Foster beat Oberweis, and then lost it in 2010. If he can beat Oberweis and Biggert, he can beat Kirk. I want Madigan and Bustos and Foster to run.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2014, 10:59:02 PM »

In another district, Hassert's district,  Foster beat Oberweis, and then lost it in 2010. If he can beat Oberweis and Biggert, he can beat Kirk. I want Madigan and Bustos and Foster to run.

Are you calling Oberweis a competent candidate? LOL.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2014, 11:02:50 PM »

Are you calling Oberweis a competent candidate? LOL.
Holding Durbin to an 11 point win without any national help was quite an accomplishment, to be honest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies