IL-Sen. 2016 Thread: Duckworth nearly triples Kirk Q2 fundraising
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:32:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Sen. 2016 Thread: Duckworth nearly triples Kirk Q2 fundraising
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: IL-Sen. 2016 Thread: Duckworth nearly triples Kirk Q2 fundraising  (Read 56488 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 04, 2015, 03:17:22 PM »

He was the one Republican to vote against defunding PP. He's so scared of re-election, he really is.
I'm truly wondering if keeping the support of some suburban Chicago moderates (by voting against defunding PP) outweighs losing the support of downstate conservatives, who might now be inclined to abstain. It probably doesn't really matter, however, since Kirk can't afford losing either of these two constituencies. Politically, he's a dead man walking (figuratively...) - I really can't see him winning in 2016. It's a shame that for moderates, there seems to be no place in the Senate anymore. Even though I'm pro-life, I still like Kirk very, very much.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #276 on: August 04, 2015, 05:23:35 PM »

He was the one Republican to vote against defunding PP. He's so scared of re-election, he really is.
I'm truly wondering if keeping the support of some suburban Chicago moderates (by voting against defunding PP) outweighs losing the support of downstate conservatives, who might now be inclined to abstain. It probably doesn't really matter, however, since Kirk can't afford losing either of these two constituencies. Politically, he's a dead man walking (figuratively...) - I really can't see him winning in 2016. It's a shame that for moderates, there seems to be no place in the Senate anymore. Even though I'm pro-life, I still like Kirk very, very much.
Well, considering he's not a moderate at all, his more likely than not defeat will change nothing Smiley.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #277 on: August 04, 2015, 07:01:36 PM »

I'm truly wondering if keeping the support of some suburban Chicago moderates (by voting against defunding PP) outweighs losing the support of downstate conservatives, who might now be inclined to abstain. It probably doesn't really matter, however, since Kirk can't afford losing either of these two constituencies. Politically, he's a dead man walking (figuratively...) - I really can't see him winning in 2016. It's a shame that for moderates, there seems to be no place in the Senate anymore. Even though I'm pro-life, I still like Kirk very, very much.q
Well, considering he's not a moderate at all, his more likely than not defeat will change nothing Smiley.

He's more moderate than Duckworth would be.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #278 on: August 04, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »

I'm truly wondering if keeping the support of some suburban Chicago moderates (by voting against defunding PP) outweighs losing the support of downstate conservatives, who might now be inclined to abstain. It probably doesn't really matter, however, since Kirk can't afford losing either of these two constituencies. Politically, he's a dead man walking (figuratively...) - I really can't see him winning in 2016. It's a shame that for moderates, there seems to be no place in the Senate anymore. Even though I'm pro-life, I still like Kirk very, very much.q

Exactly.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #279 on: August 05, 2015, 03:54:46 PM »

Exactly.
I don't remember Duckworth making racist statements.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #280 on: August 05, 2015, 07:51:22 PM »

Moderate is not a static term. Kirk has cast some votes that really are not in line with his state, which is not really being moderate. Duckworth is a better fit for the state and that is what really counts.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #281 on: August 05, 2015, 10:42:11 PM »

Moderate is not a static term. Kirk has cast some votes that really are not in line with his state, which is not really being moderate. Duckworth is a better fit for the state and that is what really counts.

Duckworth allegedly violated the state's ethics act. Is breaking the law part of being a good fit for Illinois?

I get you don't like Kirk. That's fine. But the Democrat who is ethical is Andrea Zopp, not Duckworth.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #282 on: August 05, 2015, 11:37:59 PM »

Apparently there might be a third contender in the Dem primary, Cook Commissioner Richard Boykin formed an exploratory committee. I imagine he's in it to take votes away from Zopp and ensure a Duckworth victory.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #283 on: August 06, 2015, 12:15:03 AM »

Lean Duckworth; but I will vote for him anyways in primary. He will be better than Zopp or Duckworth.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #284 on: August 06, 2015, 02:49:53 AM »

Duckworth allegedly violated the state's ethics act. Is breaking the law part of being a good fit for Illinois?

I get you don't like Kirk. That's fine. But the Democrat who is ethical is Andrea Zopp, not Duckworth.

Yes
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #285 on: August 06, 2015, 02:40:21 PM »

What?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #286 on: August 06, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »

What?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=526941810786614&id=308836329263831
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #287 on: August 06, 2015, 03:02:16 PM »

Exactly.
Seriously...? I genuinely hope you're referring to something I don't know and not to the Graham gaffe, because if you consider that racist, I just don't know what to say anymore. There is a maximum to legitimate sensitivity, you know.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #288 on: August 06, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »

What?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=526941810786614&id=308836329263831
What was this ad referring to?

-----------------

Exactly.
Seriously...? I genuinely hope you're referring to something I don't know and not to the Graham gaffe, because if you consider that racist, I just don't know what to say anymore. There is a maximum to legitimate sensitivity, you know.
Of course this is racist.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #289 on: August 06, 2015, 08:02:58 PM »

Kirk has always been pro-choice AFAIK. This isn't anything new.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #290 on: August 06, 2015, 11:16:17 PM »

Some evidence other than a Kirk ad would be nice. My point was in terms of the leanings of the state, a Democrat is a better fit than a so-called moderate Republican. As we saw the Iran deal, Kirk made a statement that would be more in line with a red state electorate, not a blue state one.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2015, 12:52:37 AM »

Kirk has always been pro-choice AFAIK. This isn't anything new.

The issue has nothing to do with being pro-choice however.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2015, 07:07:20 AM »

Now we know how he could get a 25% approval rating in the  PPP poll. mismatch for the state, electable only in the 2010 or 2014 environment in the wake of an appointed Senator. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #293 on: August 13, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »

Another unflattering story for Kirk.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-mark-kirk-finances-met-20150812-story.html#page=1

“Kirk’s placement of his caregiver — who had no prior campaign experience — onto his campaign staff raises questions about whether Kirk used political donations to pay for personal expenses. Campaign finance records show that Kirk for Senate had paid his caregiver a salary totaling more than $43,000 from August 2013 through the end of 2014.”

“Federal law says campaign funds cannot be used for expenses that would occur regardless of whether the person were running for or holding office.”
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #294 on: August 14, 2015, 01:57:06 AM »

It's like watching Barney Benrain self destruct all over again
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #295 on: August 14, 2015, 03:42:39 AM »

I wonder how long before donors start cutting him loose? Maybe he's trying to break a record?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2015, 11:38:58 AM »

I'm sure at this point Joe Walsh is seriously looking at getting in... among other, more serious, challengers.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »

I like Kirk, but I think he's dead in the water. It's a presidential year and it looks like the Democratic Party of IL may finally get one right...they're nominating the right person.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2015, 09:48:16 PM »

I'm sure at this point Joe Walsh is seriously looking at getting in... among other, more serious, challengers.

Kirk is far more electable than any other IL republican. Walsh or any other candidate would be stupid if they were to challenge him.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2015, 10:50:50 PM »

I bet Jim Oberweis, Illinois' favorite perennial Republican, is beginning to take a look at it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies