After state takeover, NV GOP already writing bills to disenfranchise minorities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:39:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  After state takeover, NV GOP already writing bills to disenfranchise minorities
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: After state takeover, NV GOP already writing bills to disenfranchise minorities  (Read 2865 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2014, 07:21:40 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/12/voter-id-laws-_n_6147906.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »

We didn't learn our from lesson from 2010. Will we learn it from 2014? Probably not.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »

We didn't learn our from lesson from 2010. Will we learn it from 2014? Probably not.

Probably too late.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 07:56:07 PM »

Why don't they just declare themselves rulers for life and suspend all elections? That's practically what they want, total domination.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 07:57:22 PM »

It should be a warning sign when your path to victory involves getting as few people to vote as possible.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:00:06 PM »

It should be a warning sign when your path to victory involves getting as few people to vote as possible.

Conversely, it should also be a warning sign when your party relies on voters that are too lazy and/or uninformed to vote in years when a president isn't on the ballot.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 08:00:43 PM »

Why don't they just declare themselves rulers for life and suspend all elections? That's practically what they want, total domination.

That's over the top.  But it would technically be perfectly legal for them to cancel the presidential election and assign their EVs to the Republican candidate indefinitely until Dems can change the law.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 08:02:17 PM »

Does anyone have actual evidence of voter ID disenfranchising a statistically significant number of people in an important race?  There's no evidence this is Mississippi in 1890 stuff.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »

That's over the top.  But it would technically be perfectly legal for them to cancel the presidential election and assign their EVs to the Republican candidate indefinitely until Dems can change the law.

Das Ermächtigungsgesetz.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »

Does anyone have actual evidence of voter ID disenfranchising a statistically significant number of people in an important race?  There's no evidence this is Mississippi in 1890 stuff.

I'll give you a hint. It begins with two and ends in thousand. ^^
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 08:09:01 PM »

I'll give you a hint. It begins with two and ends in thousand. ^^

Perhaps through felon disenfranchisement, but that is a completely different issue and next to impossible to change.  Also, Nevada has the referendum if anything too weird happens. 
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 08:09:24 PM »

Next we'll hear about how Brian Sandoval is somehow white.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 08:32:04 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2014, 08:38:12 PM by Illuminati Blood Drinker »

Conversely, it should also be a warning sign when your party relies on voters that are too lazy and/or uninformed to vote in years when a president isn't on the ballot.
Maybe you should actually give them reasons to turn out, instead of running on "we're not the other guys" and acting dumbfounded when that message SOMEHOW doesn't fire people up to vote? But I know, I know, it's far more easier to just whine about those lazy blah people. Roll Eyes
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »

Great news!

Follow it up with Congressional redistricting.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »

Maybe you should actually give them reasons to turn out, instead of running on "we're not the other guys" and acting dumbfounded when that message SOMEHOW doesn't fire people up to vote? But I know, I know, it's far more easier to just whine about those lazy blah people. Roll Eyes

Uh, who said I was referring to black people? IIRC, their midterm dropoff wasn't even as big as some other groups. It's kind of telling about YOU though that you automatically assumed that was what I meant...

And it has nothing to do with policy issues. Many people (disproportionately Democratic, but many Republicans as well) just think there's no point in voting if a president isn't on the ballot. It's that simple, and may very well have as much to do with our horrible education system as it does with laziness, due to the fact that people think the president is all that matters and the rest of our government isn't important.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »

America has a safeguard for such things called the Second Amendment.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 09:37:15 PM »

America has a safeguard for such things called the Second Amendment.

The weapons that the Second Amendment allows us do not fare well against flamethrowers, tanks, B-2 bombers, or atom bombs.

We may need a revolution much like those in central and Balkan Europe in 1989. I will not shed tears for an American Ceausescu,

The real safeguard for democracy is people willing to lie down in front of a tank. 
CountryClassSF

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 09:48:58 PM »

Fantastic news! Nevada will now be like nearly every other first-world nation.

Elections have consequences =)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2014, 09:56:28 PM by Miles »

I had a feeling Cegavske would be awful. Hardly unexpected, though, considering she's the state chair of ALEC.

I knew it was gonna be a rough year in NV, but I was really hoping Dems could cling onto a win in the SOS race. Ugh.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 09:51:36 PM »

Agreed (to my amazement). The GOP is slowly (very, very slowly) picking up steam with black voters because the Democratic Party have more or less taken their votes for granted.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 09:55:36 PM »

Atlas Forum Threads...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 09:57:49 PM »

Agreed (to my amazement). The GOP is slowly (very, very slowly) picking up steam with black voters because the Democratic Party have more or less taken their votes for granted.

No, not really. If anything the constant racist voter suppression campaigns by Republicans have only further solidified black support for the Democrats.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »

Requiring photo ID to vote being referred to as "disenfranchising minorities" is such a joke.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »

Requiring photo ID to vote being referred to as "disenfranchising minorities" is such a joke.

Indeed. Imagine what the other first-world countries would say that have done it for years. Even the UN Observers in 2012 laughed hysterically at the fact that we don't require ID.  The left needs to victimize though, so expect the race-baiting to continue.  In the meantime, hopefully our side will be relentless in protecting integrity of ballot box
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 10:01:35 PM »

Says the white Republican from a state without voter ID laws.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies