Cuomo had 'secret pact' with Long Island Republican Senators
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:39:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cuomo had 'secret pact' with Long Island Republican Senators
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Cuomo had 'secret pact' with Long Island Republican Senators  (Read 5818 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 08:59:33 PM »

It's amazing what's happened to him considering his father's views.

Evan Bayh is also a lot worse than his father.
Recalcuate

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 09:02:36 PM »

I agree with the first conclusion, though the second part is only a partial answer, pointing to the larger answer: a Dem-controlled Senate would disperse power more evenly throughout the party, and NY progressives in general.  expectations would get ratcheted up, forcing Cuomo to do things he doesn't want to do (indefinite statutory ban on fracking, raise minimum wage, etc.)

he'd still have Silver around to stonewall things, but it would look VERY bad on the major issues -- if Silver refused to bring a $12.50 min wage to the floor, for instance.  with power more evenly dispersed throughout the party, a figure could emerge to take advantage of the not insignificant yet poorly organized 'progressive left'... so it's either piss off the $$$ men who will fund his future presidential campaign, or lose whole thing altogether.

Oh, there's a definite disconnect between Cuomo and DeBlasio. Cuomo went out of his way to push his own Pre-K plan vs. the NYC mayor's plan. It's almost like there's a big Peter contest going on for who is the center of the NY Democratic party. A Republican Senate keeps DeBlasio at bay.

Don't disagree with you on your other point though. If the Senate were in Democrat hands, Cuomo would have to share power more.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »

Lets also be clear that Skelos did not get along Astorino with or without some deal between Skelos and Cuomo.  So given that Skelos did not like each other Astorino and had to just pay lip service for party unity while the same thing was taking place between Cuomo and de Blasio it is see why people think that there some of deal between Skelos and Cuomo.  I doubt it.  BTW, on the night of the election it was not clear as late as two hours before Cuomo's victory party that if de Blasio even was going to attend.  He ended up attending but giving a lukewarm speech, reflecting how he felt at the time given the GOP captured the NY State Senate.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 01:16:09 AM »

Cuomo wanting a Republican Senate has been obvious since 2010. It's amazing what this guy gets away with.
njwes
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 02:40:19 AM »

Cuomo is at the very top of a very long list of "Democrats" who need to be primaried.

When is the progressive Tea Party finally gonna happen??
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 04:01:43 PM »

Cuomo is at the very top of a very long list of "Democrats" who need to be primaried.

When is the progressive Tea Party finally gonna happen??

We can call it the Aloe Green Tea and Gluten Free Granola Party.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/albany/2014/11/8556747/top-cuomo-donors-strongly-backed-gop-senate

"Top Cuomo donors strongly backed G.O.P. Senate"

Why I do not buy the secret pack theory I do buy that Cuomo tacitly accepted that a lot of his backers also were for the GOP at the State Senate level and wanted to Cuomo - NY State Senate GOP alliance. He  took their support with no issues.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 08:58:38 AM »

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/albany/2014/11/8556881/klein-pushes-skelos-continue-present-senate-deal

IDC leader Kline working with GOP to join the ruling alliance in NY State Senate even thought Kline promised during the elections he will not do this.  GOP working on this deal to ensure a majority after 2016 when higher turnout would mean the GOP might not hold a majority on its own.  If they work out a deal I am sure it will have the blessings of Cuomo.  I wonder how the de Blasio faction will react in the 2016 elections.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 10:28:14 AM »

http://nypost.com/2014/11/10/cuomo-had-a-secret-re-election-pact-with-republicans/

basically, the idea is that Cuomo agreed to stay out of the LI Senate races if Senate GOP leader Dean Skelos agreed to do little/nothing to aid Astorino's gubernatorial bid.  (Republican) Nassau County exec Ed Mangano soon got on board and took the bold move of endorsing Cuomo.

this has special significance because 1) the GOP has long dominated the Senate seats on Long Island, more than they "should" (the Nassau GOP machine lost its stranglehold on county gov't in 1999 for example), and 2) a large part of the deal cut between Cuomo and the Working Families party came with the promise from Cuomo to put some muscle into trying to pickup the few senate seats needed to wrest control from the GOP-"Independent Democratic" caucus, and 3) the long GOP-held Senate is the only mechanism of state government that Democrats don't control.

you can draw your own conclusions from there.

Slimy Cuomo wants the Republicans in charge of the State Senate. He can use it as an excuse to keep "Progressive" Mayor Wilhem's agenda  in check in New York City.

Good for him.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 12:24:46 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2014, 12:27:01 PM by Maistre »

Junk Democrat!
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »

It's honestly tragic that wanting to ban high-capacity magazines is more of a litmus test than actually betraying the party.

This is why I left the Democratic Party - they don't even have the balls to punish the people that betray their own.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 04:40:02 PM »

It's honestly tragic that wanting to ban high-capacity magazines is more of a litmus test than actually betraying the party.

This is why I left the Democratic Party - they don't even have the balls to punish the people that betray their own.

Cuomo's victory had nothing to do with wanting to ban high-capacity magazines and everything to do with having solid backing from pretty much all key elements of the New York City Democratic machine while also being a very popular in both Long Island and (albeit to a somewhat lesser degree, IIRC) the NYC suburbs.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »

SHOCKING! POLITICIANS HAS SECRET PACTS!

More at 11.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »

You should join the Republicans. I left them in part for the exact opposite reason.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 06:48:48 PM »

You should join the Republicans. I left them in part for the exact opposite reason.

Honestly, I'd rather have that extreme than the extreme Democrats have now.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 07:14:19 PM »

Honestly, I'd rather have that extreme than the extreme Democrats have now.

The grass is always greener...
GaussLaw
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »

Cuomo is awful........he's pro-gun control and pro-abortion but has no redeeming liberal principles, and has zero principles.  Classic Frank Underwood type politician. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies