Obama to announce executive order on immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:45:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to announce executive order on immigration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Obama to announce executive order on immigration  (Read 16708 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »

He's on a roll. What are they going to do? Impeach him?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2014, 12:44:51 PM »

I see what you're saying, but this is a very serious change in policy that shouldn't be decided by one person.

I don't disagree. In general the use of executive orders to effect major policy changes isn't a good development. It wasn't with George W. Bush and it isn't now.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »

I love the littany of articles on the timing of his announcement, so that I have a hunch on when I should be appropriately outraged.

If you haven't gotten outraged yet, don't bother now.  This is just old news.  Bad news, but old news.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2014, 01:25:27 PM »

He's on a roll. What are they going to do? Impeach him?

Hopefully for the Democrats, yes.

I see what you're saying, but this is a very serious change in policy that shouldn't be decided by one person.

I don't disagree. In general the use of executive orders to effect major policy changes isn't a good development. It wasn't with George W. Bush and it isn't now.

I generally agree. But when the congress voluntarily forfeits its duty to do something, then why should he do the same?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »

If Obama can executive order this I guess I could ban abortion through executive order if I become President.

Yes, winning an election to become President of the United States gives you authority to enact the policies you ran on. It's a strange concept, I know.

No more strange than winning an election to the House of Representatives and Senate of the United States gives you authority to enact the policies your party ran on.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »

Yes, House and Senate are free to pass all their agenda and the President is free to veto it.

I don't understand the confusion here.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »

Yeah, I'm not one of those people who pretends that it all started with Obama.  I'm just really concerned with the growing power of the executive branch.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »

He promised to use them.......one of few things he has said that I believe.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »

I generally agree. But when the congress voluntarily forfeits its duty to do something, then why should he do the same?

Does Congress have a duty to do anything beyond pass a budget on time?  Anything beyond that is nice, but if there is no agreement on what should be done, it won't mean the end of the republic.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2014, 03:15:53 PM »

If Obama can executive order this I guess I could ban abortion through executive order if I become President.

Yes, winning an election to become President of the United States gives you authority to enact the policies you ran on. It's a strange concept, I know.
Which is why Republicans have the right to block his legislation in Congress. They won too.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

The president shouldn't being doing this by executive action, that's for sure. I'm not sure what he's up to this week -- it sounds like he's trying to disrupt the narrative. Every time he pulls something else out of his sleeve (net neutrality, climate change treaty, immigration) that becomes the story. Otherwise, what would everyone have been talking about this week? How the Republicans swept the election and how bad of a shellacking the president's party took. I think he's trying to mix things up and take people's minds off the election.

The Republicans should just pass whatever immigration bill they can get through the Senate, and tell Obama to either sign it or veto it. If he vetoes it, they can say he preferred his own executive actions to Congressional legislation on the exact same topic, which wouldn't give him much of a leg to stand on. He pretty much has to sign whatever immigration bill Congress sends him now.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2014, 03:44:08 PM »

Which is why Republicans have the right to block his legislation in Congress. They won too.
*GENERIC "THEY WON WITH LOW TURNOUT IT DOESN'T COUNT AS A WIN" COMMENT*
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »

The president shouldn't being doing this by executive action, that's for sure. I'm not sure what he's up to this week -- it sounds like he's trying to disrupt the narrative. Every time he pulls something else out of his sleeve (net neutrality, climate change treaty, immigration) that becomes the story. Otherwise, what would everyone have been talking about this week? How the Republicans swept the election and how bad of a shellacking the president's party took. I think he's trying to mix things up and take people's minds off the election.

The Republicans should just pass whatever immigration bill they can get through the Senate, and tell Obama to either sign it or veto it. If he vetoes it, they can say he preferred his own executive actions to Congressional legislation on the exact same topic, which wouldn't give him much of a leg to stand on. He pretty much has to sign whatever immigration bill Congress sends him now.

Why not?  If it's sensible policy and he has the legal authority, why not?  If Congress doesn't like it, they can change the law.  That's how government is supposed to work. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »

Why not?  If it's sensible policy and he has the legal authority, why not?  If Congress doesn't like it, they can change the law.  That's how government is supposed to work.  

Did you feel that way when Dub sat in the Oval, bedstuy? Be honest.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2014, 03:53:27 PM »

The thing is, McConnell and Boehner have said that if Obama goes through with this executive action, they'll refuse to negotiate with the Democrats about immigration reform.

Regardless, I'm not yet convinced that a bill that can get 60 votes in the Senate can also pass the House.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2014, 04:11:09 PM »

Does Congress have a duty to do anything beyond pass a budget on time? 

I believe that 99% of voters think it does.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2014, 04:12:51 PM »

The thing is, McConnell and Boehner have said that if Obama goes through with this executive action, they'll refuse to negotiate with the Democrats about immigration reform.

Oh, how unfortunate that they found an excuse not to negotiate. Roll Eyes
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »

Why not?  If it's sensible policy and he has the legal authority, why not?  If Congress doesn't like it, they can change the law.  That's how government is supposed to work.  

Did you feel that way when Dub sat in the Oval, bedstuy? Be honest.

I can't say for sure.  I wasn't even old enough to have a nuanced opinion during much of the Bush administration.  But, I would hope I wouldn't make these pathetic, pearl-clutching arguments about "how dare the President act like he's the chief executive!!??"  My problem with Bush is that he made bad decisions, not that he was an imperial President.  A good President isn't squeamish and timid about using their power.  The real distinction is that Obama is a sensible politician with ideas on how to improve this country.  Bush was a disaster on policy grounds, Obama has been one of the best modern Presidents on policy grounds.

So, yeah, these Republican arguments are pathetic and dishonest.  If you love the idea deporting the people who cut the grass and mop the floors in this country,  and you love the Iraq War and all of Bush's horrendous far-right policies, fine.  But, don't act like Obama doesn't the full authority of his office.  Republicans constantly seem perplexed that Obama acts like he's the President, rides around in Air Force One and lives in a big mansion in DC.  Guess what?  You have a black, liberal Democrat President.  Get over it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2014, 04:21:53 PM »

Yes, this is not in dispute.

The American people voted for gridlock. The system is working. This is what we have.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »

Boehner and his caucus refused to negotiate with Obama on immigration reform before Election Day. Given the record of McConnell since early 2009 and Boehner since early 2011, there is absolutely no reason to believe Republicans had any interest or motive to negotiate with President Obama on this issue. They're happier not to deal with it except to make a show about strengthening the border (which now has some ridiculous multiple of the number of agents it used to have.)
CountryClassSF

« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »

He is now not even hiding the fact that he wants dictatorial powers.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2014, 05:51:53 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2014, 05:57:08 PM by Sbane »

I love the littany of articles on the timing of his announcement, so that I have a hunch on when I should be appropriately outraged.

If you haven't gotten outraged yet, don't bother now.  This is just old news.  Bad news, but old news.

Are you against what Obama is going to do here? I would like for him to work with congress but I don't think they would be fine with legalizing anyone less than maybe 20 year here. That is unacceptable to him and it is unacceptable to me as well. The people elected him president to pass his agenda, not sit there twiddling his thumb while the Republicans satisfy their crazy base.

The procedure he will be using is the exact same that is used to legalize marijuana in Colorado and Washington, as well as medical marijuana in the litany of states that have it. The feds could stop it at any time, but they don't. Prosecutorial discretion is not something new and has been used in the past for multiple issues. In any case, he would make official what is basically policy in any case. Only those who were in the wrong place at the wrong time get deported. It would help with that, but looking at the big picture this doesn't change much.

I am a little concerned about those work permits though, from a constitutional standpoint. I think it is a good idea they are getting them, but I don't get how that would be constitutional. Can someone explain?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »

He promised to use them.......one of few things he has said that I believe.

To be fair, he has broken some of the promises in the past. Including, according to one Secret Service, the promise to quit using these:
CountryClassSF

« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2014, 06:09:11 PM »

I take offense for those who suggest opposition to amnesty is about race. I can't count the number of Hispanic Americans I've met at tea party rallies, at local GOP events, etc. who oppose amnesty.

Greg Abbott won 44% of the Hispanic vote in Texas, for heaven's sake. How well did John McCain do?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »

And while he is at it, couldn't he use prosecutorial discretion to decriminalize marijuana? I hope he does that as well. He should do it at the same time as he does this.

I love this new President Obama. It seems like he wants to live up to the boogeyman Republicans have created about him being the most liberal president in history. Now he is showing the Republicans what a real liberal does.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies