Obama to announce executive order on immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:26:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to announce executive order on immigration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Obama to announce executive order on immigration  (Read 16665 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2014, 05:42:41 PM »

LOL!

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/535153570866147328

Broadcast networks won't air Obama's address, but Univision will do so live right before the Latin Grammys. I'm sure the WH is devastated.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2014, 02:25:14 AM »

Poll just showed on CNBC showed at Latino support for this is 43-37. Black support is the largest at 65-12.

Granted a large MOE, but that said, a +6 margin amongst in a group that voted for Obama by 46.

The only way this is a winner for Democrats in 2016 as a political move is if it is at 80% amongst Hispanics or at least 70%. Sub 50% or just above 50% (assuming 9 MOE) just won't cut it. 65-35 is low enough for FL to flip and for CO to be a nailbitter.

The 12% amongst blacks seems kind of low but it is almost three times as large as that which voted Republican in 2008 and 2012. 12% would make OH about 2% closer with regards to the 2012 results. The rest of the gap is all amongst working class whites who are not highly religious (and thus social issues weren't a motivation to overlook the fact that they were turned off by Romney. This is also why Romney didn't do so well in Maine, heavily working class but infrequent church attendence). 

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2014, 02:30:55 AM »

Thirty-seven percent of independents back Obama’s plan to take action if Congress does not move forward on immigration reform, while 47 percent disapprove of such action.

If this poll is accurate there is a winning coalition for a Republican in opposting to this (whilst supporting a compassionate "legislative" reform) with only +6 amongst Hispanics and -9 amongst Indies.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2014, 03:12:07 AM »

I trust Latino Decisions over a crosstab result from a NBC poll...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2014, 03:15:59 AM »

Yes, they are the gold standard when it comes to this. I'd be willing to bet this is a 75-25 issue (in terms of approval) among Latinos in a sample in which all understand what is being proposed.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2014, 04:18:30 AM »

Thirty-seven percent of independents back Obama’s plan to take action if Congress does not move forward on immigration reform, while 47 percent disapprove of such action.

If this poll is accurate there is a winning coalition for a Republican in opposting to this (whilst supporting a compassionate "legislative" reform) with only +6 amongst Hispanics and -9 amongst Indies.

The same winning coalition that President Romney used in 2012 after Obama stopped deporting DREAMers.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »

Tonight will be historic gentlemen.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »

Tonight will be the night many families have been praying for, a real chance of achieving the American Dream.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »

Is there a place I will be able to find a detailed description of the contents of the executive order?
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »

Is there a place I will be able to find a detailed description of the contents of the executive order?
Obama declares Galactic Empire
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2014, 08:42:13 PM »

Here is a good recap:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/obama-legalize-five-million-undocumented-immigrants?utm_content=buffer140ab&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »

Thank you!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »

Disgusting. If Obama is doing this because Congress won't give him an up or down vote, than we should give him an up and down vote. Then we will see if he is really interested in circumventing the law or not.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »

Obama made an excellent speech, and it's great he's signing this executive order.  The US should live up to its reputation as the "land of the free", and NOT deport decent people who were brought here as small children.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »

Obama made an excellent speech, and it's great he's signing this executive order.  The US should live up to its reputation as the "land of the free", and NOT deport decent people who were brought here as small children.
So, should we not imprison murderors because they have small children? We don't have to deport children born here, but the parents should be deported.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »

Is there anything about the reforms to strengthening border security? My support for the contents of the law hinges on the border security being drastically improved.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »

Disgusting. If Obama is doing this because Congress won't give him an up or down vote, than we should give him an up and down vote. Then we will see if he is really interested in circumventing the law or not.

If there was an up-or-down vote on Obama's Amnesty Plan it would easily pass both chambers of Congress- whether it's the current lame duck session or the new Congress in January. Boehner has prevented a direct vote on any sort of immigration reform precisely because it would pass.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2014, 09:20:32 PM »

So, should we not imprison murderors because they have small children? We don't have to deport children born here, but the parents should be deported.

Roll Eyes  Oh praise be the GOP, will tearing up families be in the official 2016 platform? Smiley Smiley Smiley))
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2014, 09:22:41 PM »

Can we just have one common sense thing with immigration before you start saying "Criminals will have babies to stay here!!!1!" b/c

1. Criminals will be deported, if you actually listened to Obama's speech.

I'm thankful he did something because congress is full of terrible people who refuse to do anything that would benefit this country.

The best part is obviously:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2014, 09:24:51 PM »

I'm talking about people who were brought to the US illegally against their will, and they didn't have a choice because they were only toddlers or infants.  They weren't born here, and they're technically illegal, but they only broke the law because their parents brought them here when they were too small to understand things.  That's different from committing murder.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2014, 09:30:42 PM »

Obama made an excellent speech, and it's great he's signing this executive order.  The US should live up to its reputation as the "land of the free", and NOT deport decent people who were brought here as small children.
So, should we not imprison murderers because they have small children? We don't have to deport children born here, but the parents should be deported.

I'm talking about people who were brought to the US illegally against their will, and they didn't have a choice because they were only toddlers or infants.  They weren't born here, and they're technically illegal, but they only broke the law because their parents brought them here when they were too small to understand things.  That's different from committing murder.
Misread that part, my apologies. And no, illegal immigration is not the same as murder. Way to distort what I said, though. Do we allow other criminals to skip out on justice because we take their children into consideration?

Can we just have one common sense thing with immigration before you start saying "Criminals will have babies to stay here!!!1!" b/c

I'm thankful he did something because congress is full of terrible people who refuse to do anything that would benefit this country.

Ok. What if they don't pass the bill. What if the Senate bill is voted on and fails in the House. Should Obama be allowed to implement the law because he didn't get his way in Congress? And all illegal immigrants are criminals, no matter how decent and God fearing they may be. I don't advocate mass deportation or a witch hunt, but Obama said it himself tonight: they broke the law, and committed a crime.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2014, 09:32:06 PM »

Yes, they are the gold standard when it comes to this. I'd be willing to bet this is a 75-25 issue (in terms of approval) among Latinos in a sample in which all understand what is being proposed.

That is potentially the case but wouldn't Latino Decision's history say anything about its ability to deal with languaged barriers? 63% is still not high enough.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »

The same winning coalition that President Romney used in 2012 after Obama stopped deporting DREAMers.

Romney's problems are well noted and likely he will note be on the ballot in 2016. I would also note that in the scenario I laid out Romney didn't do a key aspect of that, of course in your rush to condescend you may have missed that part of my post.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2014, 09:40:18 PM »

Do you consider illegal immigration to be equal to 1st degree felony murder?

You're also the libertarian type. Do you support drug offenders, even if we were to change the law and end the drug war, be required to fill out their sentences because they broke the law when it was still illegal?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2014, 09:40:25 PM »

Though clearly not so terrible as to continue to pass terrible legislation that previous terrible congresses have passed perpetuating this present terrible situation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies