Obama to announce executive order on immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:37:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to announce executive order on immigration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Obama to announce executive order on immigration  (Read 16717 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »

Accirding to the latest Politico article, Mario Diaz-Balart was on the verge of securing passage of immigration reform through the HoR right before David Brat shocked Eric Cantor in his primary. At that time pretty much everyone here was celebrating except for me. A victory for the forces of obstinacy over those of compromise and moderation, even when the latter is in the form of the otherwise arch conservative Mr. Cantor, is never a good thing. For all those who cheered on Mr. Brat yet would have preferred congressional over executive action, regardless on which side you fall, this is your result.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2014, 09:49:44 PM »

Obama made an excellent speech, and it's great he's signing this executive order.  The US should live up to its reputation as the "land of the free", and NOT deport decent people who were brought here as small children.
So, should we not imprison murderors because they have small children? We don't have to deport children born here, but the parents should be deported.

You're also the libertarian type. Do you support drug offenders, even if we were to change the law and end the drug war, be required to fill out their sentences because they broke the law when it was still illegal?
Again, I do not actually believe illegal immigration is equal to murder. I deleted that line and didn't even plan to respond to it, but I must again refute the twisting of my post.

As to the question, the answer is yes. The law is the law and must be followed even when unjust or stupid. I think the future reforms to our drug laws will make the current situation a thing of the past, but until then, the law should be followed. Marijuana should be legal, but until it is, you shouldn't be selling it on the street corner.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2014, 09:54:16 PM »

Again, I do not actually believe illegal immigration is equal to murder. I deleted that line and didn't even plan to respond to it, but I must again refute the twisting of my post.

Twisting your post? It's completely on point with your post.

Yes, we separate murderers from their children because such a heinous act makes you unfit to parent a child. We do not separate misdemeanor offenders from their children because it does not equate to them being unfit to parent. By saying it is okay to take parents away from their children for illegal immigration and using murder as an example, it is saying you consider illegal immigration a first degree felony act on par with murder.

There is no twisting going on here. That is absolutely what you said.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2014, 09:58:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Like a boss.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:25 PM »

Twisting your post? It's completely on point with your post.

Yes, we separate murderers from their children because such a heinous act makes you unfit to parent a child. We do not separate misdemeanor offenders from their children because it does not equate to them being unfit to parent. By saying it is okay to take parents away from their children for illegal immigration and using murder as an example, it is saying you consider illegal immigration a first degree felony act on par with murder.

There is no twisting going on here. That is absolutely what you said.
From a moral stand point, I did not mean to equate murder with illegal immigration. But I can see how my post could be read that way.

Anywho, the question on deportation comes down to the parents: they can bring their American born children with them and attempt to return to the US the right way or the wrong way, or they can leave their children in the care of legal relatives here. They made the choice to leave their country of origin and have a family here, and simply put, they should pay for it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2014, 10:06:28 PM »

Accirding to the latest Politico article, Mario Diaz-Balart was on the verge of securing passage of immigration reform through the HoR right before David Brat shocked Eric Cantor in his primary. At that time pretty much everyone here was celebrating except for me. A victory for the forces of obstinacy over those of compromise and moderation, even when the latter is in the form of the otherwise arch conservative Mr. Cantor, is never a good thing. For all those who cheered on Mr. Brat yet would have preferred congressional over executive action, regardless on which side you fall, this is your result.

Weren't most members already safely through their primaries by the time Cantor got upset? That was probably just an excuse. If they were so chicken that Cantor's defeat scared them off, they probably wouldn't have had the balls to bring it up so close to an election to begin with.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »

Weren't most members already safely through their primaries by the time Cantor got upset? That was probably just an excuse. If they were so chicken that Cantor's defeat scared them off, they probably wouldn't have had the balls to bring it up so close to an election to begin with.

I'm just repeating what I read on Politico. Supposedly, Diaz-Balart had 120 Republicans on board.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2014, 10:10:57 PM »

I'm just repeating what I read on Politico. Supposedly, Diaz-Balart had 120 Republicans on board.
I highly doubt he had that much support. He may have been able to pass the bill, but I doubt he could bring in over 100 Pubs.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2014, 10:11:09 PM »

Obama made an excellent speech, and it's great he's signing this executive order.  The US should live up to its reputation as the "land of the free", and NOT deport decent people who were brought here as small children.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »

I'm a pretty big fan of the "give amnesty then secure the border" approach.
KCDem

« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2014, 10:29:26 PM »

I'm calling massive BS. And major trolling from Politico.
KCDem

« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »

LOL!

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/535153570866147328

Broadcast networks won't air Obama's address, but Univision will do so live right before the Latin Grammys. I'm sure the WH is devastated.

Glorious news! I'm sure the Republicans can't wait for Latinos to start voting like blacks! Cheesy
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2014, 10:35:43 PM »

I'm calling massive BS. And major trolling from Politico.

Well the Washington Post is reportingly similarly- they say the bills advocates were so confident they were breaking out the celebration wine right before the primary. Media conspiracy?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »

Just remember that in the next election, we could be voting in Hillary, who flip flopped on giving immigrants drivers licenses in the 2008 primaries. Sad
t_host1

« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2014, 10:41:22 PM »

I don’t understand; if I were an illegal, why would I turn myself in? At present, I pay no taxes, free health care, exempt from Obamcare penalties and now, Obama wants my name public so an American citizen could legally sue me personally for damages the American citizen endures from Obamacare suffrage that I, an illegal, are immune from – I don’t think so.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2014, 10:42:05 PM »

Just remember that in the next election, we could be voting in Hillary, who flip flopped on giving immigrants drivers licenses in the 2008 primaries. Sad

Hillary enraged Hispanics so much she only got 63% of the Hispanc vote.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »

Hillary enraged Hispanics so much she only got 63% of the Hispanc vote.
Meh, probably for the best, considering Obama promised immigration reform in his first year. This county needs either Hillary or Jeb elected in 2016.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »

everyone pays sales taxes.  undocumented workers who get paid w/a check have fake SSN's and thus forefit money to the SS trust fund.   
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »

So, should we not imprison murderors because they have small children? We don't have to deport children born here, but the parents should be deported.

Criminal aliens will be on the fast track -- to deportation (barring that they serve prison time for due convictions should they be convicted). Persons caught illegally entering the country or overstaying their visas will of course be deported.

Did anyone catch the fact that families are to be kept together? What can the American-born US citizen kids of illegal aliens do without their parents?  They would be illegal aliens in the countries to which their parents are deported.

The President has put humanitarian concerns over the sort of revenge  that some on the Right want. Face it -- Ronald Reagan and George H W Bush facilitated the immigration of Cubans and southeast Asians whom most people expected to be reliable voters for the Republican Party indefinitely. Such was humane in its time; so it is with President Obama.

Sure, it has consequences. It can only hurt Republicans in 2016 -- tough luck. If it was right when Reagan was President, then so it is with Obama.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2014, 11:22:41 PM »

goddamn badass obama is my favorite, go barry!
t_host1

« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2014, 12:34:55 AM by t_host1 »

everyone pays sales taxes.  undocumented workers who get paid w/a check have fake SSN's and thus forefit money to the SS trust fund.  
fake ssn collected money makes it to the treasury? Ok, and if it does, your saying crime pays, correct?

ya no what? shouldn't this be my last post?

Quote from: Restricted
Till this day, I learn Ronado Maximus was a Dictator - passing legislation with the opposition.

Quote from: Restricted
Obama voting present as a legislator clearly makes sense why he is now qualified to be the Executive of the republic-less country.   
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2014, 11:31:34 PM »

It should frighten all of us that one man can pass laws by executive order.  The President is not supposed to be dictator and every new law must be passed by Congress.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2014, 11:36:43 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2014, 11:44:26 PM by King »

It should frighten all of us that one man can pass laws by executive order.  The President is not supposed to be dictator and every new law must be passed by Congress.

It should not frighten us that one man elected by the people who is term limited can pass laws by executive order. A dictatorship does not include free and open elections.

Frankly, it frightens me more that people like Louie Gohmert or Charlie Rangel have power to pass laws.  The amount of power Congress has given the kind of person elected to Congress is truly scary.

When you coincide it that the President is not elected by drawn districts but by a total vote of the people and that turn out is nearly double in elections for President than they are in elections for Congress and that the President faces a legitimate opponent while most members of Congress run unopposed, the President is clearly more a Representative of the People than the Congress of the United States.

Not to mention with the President we are actually having this debate on his actions. The President had to give a nationally televised address to announce this action. Presidential actions are vocal and visible. Congressional actions are done in secret, in committee, and in bribery where a person can amend a bill to his liking and then vote against it for show, completely lying to his/her constituency. The bills are 100x longer than executive orders. Congressional action is impossible to check.  Then, we have the concept of the House and Senate: gerrymandered districts and disproportionately awarded Senate seats.

Any person who is truly afraid of oligarchy, dictatorship, and destruction of citizens rights should support the open Executive Action of the President as a check against the corrupt and nondemocratic institution of the United States Congress as it exists in the 21st Century.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2014, 11:52:15 PM »

It should frighten all of us that one man can pass laws by executive order.  The President is not supposed to be dictator and every new law must be passed by Congress.

It should not frighten us that one man elected by the people who is term limited can pass laws by executive order. A dictatorship does not include free and open elections.

Frankly, it frightens me more that people like Louie Gohmert or Charlie Rangel have power to pass laws.  The amount of power Congress has given the kind of person elected to Congress is truly scary.

When you coincide it that the President is not elected by drawn districts but by a total vote of the people and that turn out is nearly double in elections for President than they are in elections for Congress and that the President faces a legitimate opponent while most members of Congress run unopposed, the President is clearly more a Representative of the People than the Congress of the United States.

Not to mention with the President we are actually having this debate on his actions. The President had to give a nationally televised address to announce this action. Presidential actions are vocal and visible. Congressional actions are done in secret, in committee, and in bribery where a person can amend a bill to his liking and then vote against it for show, completely lying to his/her constituency. The bills are 100x longer than executive orders. Congressional action is impossible to check.  Then, we have the concept of the House and Senate: gerrymandered districts and disproportionately awarded Senate seats.

Any person who is truly afraid of oligarchy, dictatorship, and destruction of citizens rights should support the open Executive Action of the President as a check against the corrupt and nondemocratic institution of the United States Congress as it exists in the 21st Century.
There is a very good reason why congressional approval hovers around 10%.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2014, 11:57:17 PM »

So, just throw away the Constitution and a Republican form of government?  If a President can do this what is the point of even having a congress?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies