Obama to announce executive order on immigration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:41:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to announce executive order on immigration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama to announce executive order on immigration  (Read 16951 times)
New_Conservative
United States

« on: November 14, 2014, 03:44:08 PM »

If Obama can executive order this I guess I could ban abortion through executive order if I become President.

Yes, winning an election to become President of the United States gives you authority to enact the policies you ran on. It's a strange concept, I know.
Which is why Republicans have the right to block his legislation in Congress. They won too.
*GENERIC "THEY WON WITH LOW TURNOUT IT DOESN'T COUNT AS A WIN" COMMENT*
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:39:40 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsRfrcit05M
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »

I take offense for those who suggest opposition to amnesty is about race. I can't count the number of Hispanic Americans I've met at tea party rallies, at local GOP events, etc. who oppose amnesty.

Greg Abbott won 44% of the Hispanic vote in Texas, for heaven's sake. How well did John McCain do?

If you disagree with Democrats because you want to secure the border before giving amnesty to 4 million undocumented immigrants, it obviously makes you a racist. Hence if you think voter ID, which is active in basically every First World Country, should be enforced, you are a racist and are trying to suppress voters.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »

Is there a place I will be able to find a detailed description of the contents of the executive order?
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »

Thank you!
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »

Is there anything about the reforms to strengthening border security? My support for the contents of the law hinges on the border security being drastically improved.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 10:53:06 PM »

I posted this in the thread in the individual politics board after looking at the executive order a little bit more, it basically sums up my opinions on this.

Somewhat disapprove, I disagree with the way he did it, and the executive action doesn't go far enough securing our border with Mexico, which makes me hesitant to support the other aspects of the law, which I would otherwise gladly embrace.

I still think the order is against Article 1, Section 8, Clause 4 of the Constitution, which gives Congress the authority to enforce immigration laws. The fact he didn't wait for the new Congress to be sworn in, which I think would have passed a new immigration bill, is obviously a political stunt and people thinking it is anything else is delusional. It was ridiculous hearing him telling Congress to "pass a bill" (which I agree with) if they disagree with him, when he failed to do so when his party held both the House and Senate during the first couple years of his Presidency. I find it interesting he voted against immigration reform in 2007, as well, which was probably done with similar political motivation as Tea Party Republicans failing to vote on the Gang of 8 Immigration Bill. Politifact rated John McCain's statement that Senator Obama was in favor of an amendment "gutting the legal temporary worker system" as mostly true. So it is hypocritical of him trying to look like a great hero to immigration reform, and I hope people realize that.

But, as someone that is in favor of the notion of giving temporary work visas to illegal immigrants whose children were born here, have children, have been in the country for at least 5 years as long as they pass background checks, have no criminal records, are forced to pay a fine for breaking law and are added to the tax base of the country; I support the overall action. This allows us to focus our authority on deporting criminals, and helps our economy by giving entrepreneurs the right to contribute to our economy, give those illegal immigrants the opportunity to earn a living, which therefore leads to them contributing to the American economy. The added tax revenue this would create is an a lot better investment for the country than spending the money on rounding up and deporting these families, as someone that wants to reduce government spending, this is something I can support. From what I have read, the law does not give those who are granted temporary visas government subsidies, which is the correct way to handle it.

I don't think the legislation goes far enough protecting the border, I would like states to have an increased role protecting the border, as they have better idea of the hot spots than the federal government. The fence needs upgrades in certain sections of the border crossing. Strengthening our border security is supported by man sheriffs across the country and should be tied into every immigration legislation granting visas. I know it is included in this executive action, but adding more DHS agents is not enough, even though it is start.

Hopefully the 114th Congress can work together on this issue, it is the right thing to do, unlike the President taking it into his own hands.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »

^^There is nothing more that can be done to secure the border. Get over it, if there's a will, there's a way to get through it.

Of course, which is why it is a good sign that Obama still wants to keep going with the deportation of those that break the law.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 11:32:37 PM »

^^There is nothing more that can be done to secure the border. Get over it, if there's a will, there's a way to get through it.

Of course, which is why it is a good sign that Obama still wants to keep going with the deportation of those that break the law.

Then why did you say his executive order didn't do enough to secure the border?

I don't think the legislation goes far enough protecting the border, I would like states to have an increased role protecting the border, as they have better idea of the hot spots than the federal government. The fence needs upgrades in certain sections of the border crossing. Strengthening our border security is supported by man sheriffs across the country and should be tied into every immigration legislation granting visas. I know it is included in this executive action, but adding more DHS agents is not enough, even though it is start.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies