Obama to announce executive order on immigration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:02:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to announce executive order on immigration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama to announce executive order on immigration  (Read 16810 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: November 13, 2014, 10:43:09 PM »

Romney would have lost amongst Hispanics anyway for the same reason he lost overall because he offered nothing that could promise a better outcome for low income working and middle class voters. No healthcare alternative, nothing stubstantive on education, didn't endorse minimum wage hike until over a year afterwards and so forth.

The issue is not winning among Hispanics - at this point no Republican presidential candidate can do this. The issue is turnout. There is one sure way to fire up Hispanic turnout - make the immigration reform very salient. In addition to doing wonders to excite Hispanics (and, BTW, Asians) by itself it may also have a spectacular side-effect of encouraging some Republicans say things that will be viewed as highly offensive even by the most conservative third-generation Cubans.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »

Message to the GOP...

Obama and the Dems want you to shut down the government over this. They know that the only GOPer to win the PV in the last 6 elections (Bush 2004) got 44% of the Latino vote (by supporting immigration reform) and Mitt Romney got 27% (by pushing 'self-deportation')

Exactly. And, even if the government stays open, most definitely a few people can be relied upon to say things that will make great news (and, later, commercials) on Univision.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »

This is perfectly exemplified in the lack of trust towards Obama and doing this will have destroyed any chance to address this legislatively and perhaps that is a good thing considering where the entire media and most of the leadership is now on the issue.

There has always been zero chance in hell of addressing this legislatively. Too toxic for too many people. But, if played well, it will make for a great Hispanic turnout next time.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:51:16 PM »

I'm happy he is doing it, but he just ruined anything else happening you might like in his presidency, a fact you all know but won't admit. 

Well, perhaps he has figured out that there isn't that much happening in the rest of his presidency, and will now be working full-time for Hillary campaign. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 10:53:26 PM »

KCDem is right, as is increasingly becoming the case. If they want to stay here legally, then they're gonna have to pay. Luckily, they can pay in votes, which are free and you get a sticker after, so it's actually not that bad.

The issue is not the - currently illegal - immigrants voting. That will not happen for the moment - there is no naturalization path feasible without congressional action. The issue is the Hispanic citizens of the US voting - and, oh, yeah, they will, if this works out as designed.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 11:33:45 PM »

Obama is behaving like a dictator. He has no right to force amnesty on America.  If he does, impeachment proceedings must begin.

How? Roll Eyes

How what? If the President of the United States usurps federal law, he should be impeached.

I guess, the sole overriding objective in your life is to ensure election of a Democratic president in 2016. You should change to a red avatar, though.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 01:18:37 AM »

Amazingly, this is the most glaring example of what I have been saying about most of the so called reform bills, in that in a misguided attempt at a "fix" the problem will be worsened. Giving amnesty alone makes it worse by encouraging others to make the same choice (they got amnesty, all I have to do is get there and sooner or later I will too).

Well, considering that last time it was, what over 25 years back, that "sooner-or-later" is not particularly promising. Better put it this way: "they got amnesty, all I have to do is risk my life getting across the border, then spend most of my productive years working three menial jobs for small pay, risking being deported at any time, and then, if I have not been deported, I will too".

Of course, the only way to properly solve the problem is actually providing a legal migration path into the US. But that is not seriously contemplated by anyone in any case.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 01:21:23 AM »

The problem is the polling is so overwhelming in opposition o the exeuctive approach. We tend to get so lazer focused on the Hispanic vote and that we begin to think they are the only demographic in a state like CO or NV.

The people for whom this opposition is important enough to determine their vote are already voting for Republicans. The great source of untapped vote are the Hispanics (though, there are also Asians to be considered).
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 10:51:17 PM »

I take offense for those who suggest opposition to amnesty is about race. I can't count the number of Hispanic Americans I've met at tea party rallies, at local GOP events, etc. who oppose amnesty.

Greg Abbott won 44% of the Hispanic vote in Texas, for heaven's sake. How well did John McCain do?

If you disagree with Democrats because you want to secure the border before giving amnesty to 4 million undocumented immigrants, it obviously makes you a racist. Hence if you think voter ID, which is active in basically every First World Country, should be enforced, you are a racist and are trying to suppress voters.

Well, to be fair, it may be that you are in favor of voter ID laws because you are merely completely ignorant of the US history.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 10:52:57 PM »

I take offense for those who suggest opposition to amnesty is about race.

Well, that pretty much says that you take offense at Hispanics in general (as this is a fairly established view among the Hispanics). Which, kind of, makes you racist, doesn't it? Your remark about the few "good Jews" notwithstanding.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies