Obama to announce executive order on immigration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:10:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to announce executive order on immigration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama to announce executive order on immigration  (Read 16776 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 13, 2014, 01:54:25 PM »

Excellent!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »

Sounds like its gonna happen tomorrow or Friday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/19/obama-immigration_n_6185038.html
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 08:42:13 PM »

Is there a place I will be able to find a detailed description of the contents of the executive order?

Here is a good recap:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/obama-legalize-five-million-undocumented-immigrants?utm_content=buffer140ab&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 11:59:53 PM »

It should frighten all of us that one man can pass laws by executive order.  The President is not supposed to be dictator and every new law must be passed by Congress.

It should not frighten us that one man elected by the people who is term limited can pass laws by executive order. A dictatorship does not include free and open elections.

Frankly, it frightens me more that people like Louie Gohmert or Charlie Rangel have power to pass laws.  The amount of power Congress has given the kind of person elected to Congress is truly scary.

When you coincide it that the President is not elected by drawn districts but by a total vote of the people and that turn out is nearly double in elections for President than they are in elections for Congress and that the President faces a legitimate opponent while most members of Congress run unopposed, the President is clearly more a Representative of the People than the Congress of the United States.

Not to mention with the President we are actually having this debate on his actions. The President had to give a nationally televised address to announce this action. Presidential actions are vocal and visible. Congressional actions are done in secret, in committee, and in bribery where a person can amend a bill to his liking and then vote against it for show, completely lying to his/her constituency. The bills are 100x longer than executive orders. Congressional action is impossible to check.  Then, we have the concept of the House and Senate: gerrymandered districts and disproportionately awarded Senate seats.

Any person who is truly afraid of oligarchy, dictatorship, and destruction of citizens rights should support the open Executive Action of the President as a check against the corrupt and nondemocratic institution of the United States Congress as it exists in the 21st Century.

So, just throw away the Constitution and a Republican form of government?  If a President can do this what is the point of even having a congress?

You do know that Reagan and HW Bush both did exactly what Obama did tonight, right?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 12:20:16 AM »

I don't care what Party does it, the Constitution must be followed.  If a bill can't be passed by Congress, then deal with it.

He is dealing with it.

Let me explain it this way.

Congress passes laws.  The President can sign them or veto them.  If Congress decides not to pass the law that does not give the President authority to break the rules. 

Supreme Court has also ruled that the President has the power to do exactly what Obama did tonight.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 12:51:13 AM »

I don't care what Party does it, the Constitution must be followed.  If a bill can't be passed by Congress, then deal with it.

He is dealing with it.

Let me explain it this way.

Congress passes laws.  The President can sign them or veto them.  If Congress decides not to pass the law that does not give the President authority to break the rules. 

Nobody has told me what law the President violated with his actions.

He has violated the Constitution.  This is not in the President's power.

The Supreme Court disagreed just recently in Arizona v. United States in 2012.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This was a 5-3 decision (Kagan recused herself) with Kennedy and Roberts siding with the liberals on the Court in saying the executive branch has “broad discretion” on the matters of immigration.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies