Confirmation Hearing: Potus 2036 for SoEA/SecState
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:41:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Potus 2036 for SoEA/SecState
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Potus 2036 for SoEA/SecState  (Read 3121 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 08:03:19 PM »

What is the administration's top foreign policy objectives going to be and if confirmed, how do you plan on working to advance those interests as Secretary of External Affairs?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:35:20 PM »

What is the administration's top foreign policy objectives going to be and if confirmed, how do you plan on working to advance those interests as Secretary of External Affairs?

The President ran on a very optimistic foreign policy agenda. The Administration's main point during the campaign was there is a positive role for Atlasia to play in the world. That is a guiding principle the President wishes to instill in his State Department.

The objective of this administration is that of every administration preceding it. A more peaceful and prosperous world is in the best interests of this and every country.

The State Department can further this goal through building up more effective means of international communication, by strengthening the way our alliances work, and by adopting a comprehensive approach to foreign aid.

During my service under Secretary Nix, the Department proposed the Lebanese Initiative. This project would include an international surge in both military and humanitarian presence in Lebanon in order to neutralize the threat Hezbollah poses to the Israeli-Palestinian peace deal. The modus operandi of the Lebanese Initiative was that it would remove the "need" for Hezbollah among the populace. In many places, those who hope to harm us win favor of the local population by providing schools, roads, hospitals, etc. The surge in humanitarian assistance would eliminate the need to rely on terrorist organizations.

I believe I can bring to the table a creative, cooperative, competent mindset when dealing with foreign affairs. I believe in this President and where he wants to take this country. I will support the administration and work around the globe to advance Atlasia's objectives abroad.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 12:40:32 AM »

What is contained in this "surged military presence" as part of this Lebanese Initiative?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 01:23:50 AM »

What is contained in this "surged military presence" as part of this Lebanese Initiative?

The plan, which was and is publicly available, called for an increased international commitment to the existing UNIFIL presence in Lebanon. It operated within existing international structures and trained the Lebanese government how to actually run their country and protect their border.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 03:07:37 AM »

I like you Riley and I don't think you would be a bad SoEA,  but as I already told you, I cannot vote for someone who basically asked people to invalidate their votes in the last MW Gubernational election.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 11:23:45 AM »

I share the concerns of my colleague from the Mideast. If the nominee is willing to encourage the use of illegal methods to win an election at home, what is he willing to do abroad? Beyond that, the former Governor of the Mideast has shown a tendency to become inactive in just about every position that he's held. In times such as these, do we really need an SoEA asleep behind the wheel?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »

While I am in no way a fan of the current Midwest Governor Mr. LeBron, out of region lobbying against any political official is in my point of view not really at place in a democratic process. However, since I see this is another case, I am willing to let persuade me to oversee this, if the nominee is willing to commit himself from now on transparent and democratic processes.

That aside, far more important for me is here the political point of view. Folks who know me know that I am an non-interventionist, that believes diplomacy and non-violent, non-troop based ways to solve a conflict, and if there is need of interventions, this in most cases just after an UN resolution and in cooperation with our allies abroad. This nominee however seems not to be on many similar foreign policy points with me. Furthermore, I note quite an aggressive rhetoric with the nominee, who states his wish to "train the Lebanese government how to run their country" and "neutralize the thread Hezbollah [a legitimate, democratic, party; democratically and justly elected by many people in Lebanon!] poses".
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 03:40:39 PM »

I feel it would be wrong for me, given my position to state that I would vote against you, but the concerns I have over your conduct in the  regard raised by my colleagues just strikes me as bad form and I think you should probably express some contrition over it.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 11:54:33 PM »

I will point out to the Senator from the Midwest, no law was broken and the entire campaign was in the name of hilarity. LeBron was never going to lose that election. There was no violation of the law and no malicious intent.

Senator Cranberry, it is my duty as SoEA to execute the will and goals of the President's foreign policy. The President is not a non-interventionist type and he ran on that. His campaign pledged to support Atlasia's role in the world. My job is to implement the goals of the president.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 12:01:47 AM »

Charles Darwin ran a legitimate campaign for Midwest Governor, backed by concerned citizens who demanded change. The fact that some out of region officials backed him is not cause for alarm.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 04:04:45 AM »

Senator Cranberry, it is my duty as SoEA to execute the will and goals of the President's foreign policy. The President is not a non-interventionist type and he ran on that. His campaign pledged to support Atlasia's role in the world. My job is to implement the goals of the president.

I can agree with that, it seems the people of Atlasia want no non-interventionist "type" in the office. Okay with that. Still, there is a slight difference between interventionism and blatant aggressive rhetoric. You will be Atlasia's chief diplomat, the one person that represents our country on the diplomatic parquet. This person should in my humble opinion have a slightly different rhetoric, starting from talking about "types" to saying "to show the Lebanese government how to run their country".
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 07:05:28 AM »

I can agree with that, it seems the people of Atlasia want no non-interventionist "type" in the office. Okay with that. Still, there is a slight difference between interventionism and blatant aggressive rhetoric. You will be Atlasia's chief diplomat, the one person that represents our country on the diplomatic parquet. This person should in my humble opinion have a slightly different rhetoric, starting from talking about "types" to saying "to show the Lebanese government how to run their country".

There are basic human capital issues with the majority of governments in the Middle East. Plenty of passionate people who want to improve their country, but are not trained or informed in how to do so. I'd hardly say that's aggressive.

On the Darwin Campaign, Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Once said the concept of the "outside agitator" no longer exists. Injustice anywhere, is a threat to justice everywhere. The policies of the Midwest government were unjust and I participated in a protest campaign. Without malicious intent or violation of the law.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 07:16:33 AM »

I don't necessarily have to like what Riley did in the midwest, but given LeBron could not have lost he didn't actually break the law and this position has nothing to do with electoral issues I'll be voting for this nominee.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »

My concern is your activity levels. As someone who served as a President with a foreign policy focus and in the office you wish to be placed in, I am deeply concerned about your quite considerable and unannounced absences.

What pledge will you make to either ensure regular activity, and what you will do in the event that you cannot satisfy activity requirements.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 09:29:53 PM »

What is your general opinion of Atlasia's foreign military presence? Are there any foreign bases you believe should be shut down, or foreign troop deployments you believe should be shutdown?

What is your general opinion of the United Nations? What do you believe is the proper role of the UN, and are there any specific causes you believe it ought to take greater action on? What is your opinion of UN Agenda 21?

What is your general opinion of foreign aid, both military and economic? Should we take steps to aid the development of third world nations, and if so what should those steps be?

What criteria would you sufficient for Atlasian military intervention in a foreign country? Other than Lebanon, are there any other countries you anticipate engaging in military intervention in during your tenure? Why do you believe it is Atlasia's responsibility engage in the aforementioned interventionist activities in Lebanon?

Do you believe Atlasia should maintain its current membership in NATO, despite the fact that we fund by far the greatest share of its budget while deriving the least benefit?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »

There are basic human capital issues with the majority of governments in the Middle East. Plenty of passionate people who want to improve their country, but are not trained or informed in how to do so. I'd hardly say that's aggressive.

On the Darwin Campaign, Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Once said the concept of the "outside agitator" no longer exists. Injustice anywhere, is a threat to justice everywhere. The policies of the Midwest government were unjust and I participated in a protest campaign. Without malicious intent or violation of the law.

So why capitalise this issue just on the Lebanese government, which is by the standards of their environment, very akin to what we call "Western Democracy". I would guess just humanitarian aid, for example in form of education aid, would be a more straightforward solution to this problem you are taking of, and which I do not deny surely exists, also in Lebanon. But then again, this does not seem like "showing them how to run their country" to me, which in turn sounds pretty aggressive to me.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »

My concern is your activity levels. As someone who served as a President with a foreign policy focus and in the office you wish to be placed in, I am deeply concerned about your quite considerable and unannounced absences.

What pledge will you make to either ensure regular activity, and what you will do in the event that you cannot satisfy activity requirements.

Senator, nothing I can say will excuse the inactivity in the Mideast. There is nothing I will be able to tell you that will make you think it was any less of a bad thing than it was. All I can tell you is that I will be an active Secretary.

So why capitalise this issue just on the Lebanese government, which is by the standards of their environment, very akin to what we call "Western Democracy". I would guess just humanitarian aid, for example in form of education aid, would be a more straightforward solution to this problem you are taking of, and which I do not deny surely exists, also in Lebanon. But then again, this does not seem like "showing them how to run their country" to me, which in turn sounds pretty aggressive to me.

Lebanon has a very specific set of issues, such as border security in regards to the Hezbollah issue. UNIFIL is the mechanism through which we launched training and involvement in mitigating the risk to the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Agreement. We are teaching them to address their issues. That's clear in the initiative.

Deus I can answer your questions at length when I'm no longer on my phone. I'll try to make that as soon as possible.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 08:10:07 PM »

My vote either for or against the nominee is contingent upon his responses to the questions posed by my colleague, Senator Deus.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 08:19:31 PM »

I'm fascinated by the potential answer on Agenda 21, lol.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 11:34:30 PM »

Senator, nothing I can say will excuse the inactivity in the Mideast. There is nothing I will be able to tell you that will make you think it was any less of a bad thing than it was. All I can tell you is that I will be an active Secretary.

So what do you have to say about being MIA from the Pacific Council since November 1st?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »

So what do you have to say about being MIA from the Pacific Council since November 1st?

I've tried to keep things active, but the broader region wasn't and isn't interested in debate or involvement. I brought up a bill on abortion, one of the most divisive issues, and the only discussion on it were the opening statements I gave.

Mr. Griffin, I understand it's a great, quick way to score cheap political points in this hearing. But let's not misrepresent the issue. I am not responsible for the region's inactivity. I've attempted to bring up lightning rod, hot topic issues, and no one will engage with me. Where is the Pacific Labor party when I'm proposing a law to ban polygamy and incest? Or when I'm fighting for the right to life? Where is the opposition?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »

I've tried to keep things active, but the broader region wasn't and isn't interested in debate or involvement. I brought up a bill on abortion, one of the most divisive issues, and the only discussion on it were the opening statements I gave.

Mr. Griffin, I understand it's a great, quick way to score cheap political points in this hearing. But let's not misrepresent the issue. I am not responsible for the region's inactivity. I've attempted to bring up lightning rod, hot topic issues, and no one will engage with me. Where is the Pacific Labor party when I'm proposing a law to ban polygamy and incest? Or when I'm fighting for the right to life? Where is the opposition?

You're not responsible for the region's inactivity at all? So you're telling the Senate that two of the pending pieces of legislation that had been up for a vote for almost two weeks - Amendment to the Revised Rules of Order and More Governing, Less Campaigning Amendment - were not your responsibility at all? It most certainly was your responsibility to vote on these two items; you can't say that "nobody wanted to engage me with me" is a sufficient excuse for you not to at least provide two, one-word responses to indicate your stance. In fact, one of those two pieces of legislation would have likely passed, depending on your own vote.

And in case you haven't noticed, I'm retired from party politics, so you can stop the whole "Labor = Griffin" shtick right now. To answer your rhetorical question, though: Labor seems to have 3 or 4 members left in the Pacific right now, almost all of whom are not active players and haven't been for ages. As it stands today, TPP is the "left-wing" party in the Pacific and the Federalist Party is the "right-wing" party, so you shouldn't be asking that question to me or my party.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 05:08:01 PM »

I'd also like to hear the nominees response to Deus's question
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »

Lebanon has a very specific set of issues, such as border security in regards to the Hezbollah issue. UNIFIL is the mechanism through which we launched training and involvement in mitigating the risk to the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Agreement. We are teaching them to address their issues. That's clear in the initiative.

I don't know, but your reason why we would need to intervene in any way particularly in Lebanon has now differed in every one of your posts - first it was because our President is interventionist, then because , quoting, "there are basic human capital issues with the majority of governments in the Middle East" (I still don't understand why in particular in response to Lebanon and not Saudi Arabia or Qatar or whatever) to a set of issue such as border security, the whole Hezbollah issue, which is if I am correctly already dealt well with by UNIFIL, of which I don't know if Atlasia is part (?). So, why bring this whole issue up in the first place? I see no reasoning for it, I'm sorry.

Also, I would very much like to see the responses to Senator Deus as well.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies