First snowfall of the year, boys and girls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:19:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  First snowfall of the year, boys and girls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: got snow?
yep

nope

what's snow?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: First snowfall of the year, boys and girls  (Read 5856 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 07:05:15 AM »

It's allegedly snowing right now, but I'm too lazy to get out of bed and check.
Even Bushie would check, but that's because snow is part of Christmas.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 07:26:58 AM »

3 weeks ago already, but it was quickly gone.

Now there's some snow left on the mountains above 2000 meters.

Today, it took a while until the fog and clouds were gone but now it's good weather (meaningless though, because I'm home with a damn cold and throatache):

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 07:31:36 AM »

Yes Cry
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 09:07:40 AM »

3 weeks ago already, but it was quickly gone.

Now there's some snow left on the mountains above 2000 meters.

Today, it took a while until the fog and clouds were gone but now it's good weather (meaningless though, because I'm home with a damn cold and throatache):

Basically right for me too Tongue
(but of the part with the cold, I had the pleasure since Sunday and now it's again good Tongue)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 10:32:30 AM »

It was 28 degrees when I arose this morning, and the thin snow still covered my yard, but now it's sunny and 37 and the snow is all gone. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 10:38:31 AM »

Why all the frowny faces from NE and MWers? If you hate snow so much, move down South.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »

Weve had a good covering of snow since last Monday 5-6 inches, more further north. 
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 11:40:15 AM »

We got a good bit of snow around Halloween/Day of the Dead, so it isn't the first.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »

Why all the frowny faces from NE and MWers? If you hate snow so much, move down South.

It's fun at first.  The first snowfall of the season is very exciting, and by mid-December it's wonderful.  It's the beginning of a four-week period of holiday, at least for students and their instructors, so there's no need to get up early and shovel.  Also, that's a time to eat too much, drink to much, and spend too much money, in the time-honored American tradition of the holidays.  Snow is part of the festivities.  It's pretty and sparkly and shiny.  It reminds us of baby Jesus, and the toyshop at the north pole where he was born, since there was no room at the manger for his pregnant mother at the time of his birth.  It can also be used to make projectile weapons, play houses, and small mountains on which to roll or slide down.  It can be fashioned into big balls, which, when stacked three high and festooned with hats and scarves, remind us of the human form.  Or at least of the modern, American human form.  It can also be a harbinger of school closings and modified, shortened work schedules.

By around late January, though, it starts to become a drag.  By then it's colder so it's not melting away as quickly after the novelty wears off.  And it must be removed from the driveways and sidewalks.  Lower back pain sets in after an hour of heavy shovelling each morning.  Also, parking spaces disappear.  A block that might accommodate six cars in summer fits only four in winter.  A parking lot that was never crowded in summer is reduced to 2/3 of its capacity in winter, making it hard to find a spot.  By late January there's no more festivity to look forward to.  By then the holiest of holy men, Santa Claus, has come and gone, and the cheap trinkets made by his sweatshop elves are starting to break.  The remote control helicoper no longer functions and the Fushigi Ball really doesn't do as much as it appears to do on TV.  Also, we have made resolutions to stop smoking and lay off the booze and Twinkies, so life isn't the bowlful of cherries and diversions that it once was when the snow first started at the end of Autumn.  The snow itself becomes a symbol of our oppressions.  It keeps us trapped inside, except when it demands removal from the sidewalks.

So it's sort of a love-hate relationship that we have with the snow.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 12:51:24 PM »

How I wish I could answer with options 2 or 3! Tongue But, it's option 1.

I don't mind it right now, actually, and through Christmas I don't. January-March are what I hate.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 01:09:35 PM »

Today we've gotten 2 inches and counting.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 01:16:50 PM »

Got our first a few days ago.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »

Just a short reply to Angus and DemPGH, I don't want to quote your post as it's fairly long, and mine that inevitably looks like I have something to say and not just the usual crap that comes out of my computer.

January to March is when it gets fun. December is just meh, Christmas and everything, and we usually don't have snow until January as we live in a deep alpine valley with no more than 600 mm of precipitate each year, of which probably 90% falls down just when it shouldn't, in July and August. But anyway, December is just snow in the mountains, and it's shadowy and dire because the sun does not go up high enough (the mountains are too high), and about the only light point is Christmas. But then, come January, it actually gets even colder, and snow falls even down in the valley, and come February it's getting sunnier and nicer again, and you can go skiing in the mountains (you can all winter, but it's more fun in February because you don't need to wear three layers of clothing then, as in December and January) and it's just nice.... During that time, the snow melts again in the valleys, and while it's still nice winter-wonderland high up, it does good to see some fresh green spots again, not that greyish, dry November-green; or that hoarfrost greyish-white December grass, or that snowy January ground, no; nice fresh green in February and March.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »

No Sad
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »

Flurries here now.  Sad
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »

Just a short reply to Angus and DemPGH, I don't want to quote your post as it's fairly long, and mine that inevitably looks like I have something to say and not just the usual crap that comes out of my computer.

January to March is when it gets fun. December is just meh, Christmas and everything, and we usually don't have snow until January as we live in a deep alpine valley with no more than 600 mm of precipitate each year, of which probably 90% falls down just when it shouldn't, in July and August. But anyway, December is just snow in the mountains, and it's shadowy and dire because the sun does not go up high enough (the mountains are too high), and about the only light point is Christmas. But then, come January, it actually gets even colder, and snow falls even down in the valley, and come February it's getting sunnier and nicer again, and you can go skiing in the mountains (you can all winter, but it's more fun in February because you don't need to wear three layers of clothing then, as in December and January) and it's just nice.... During that time, the snow melts again in the valleys, and while it's still nice winter-wonderland high up, it does good to see some fresh green spots again, not that greyish, dry November-green; or that hoarfrost greyish-white December grass, or that snowy January ground, no; nice fresh green in February and March.

Interesting.When I was a kid we lived on top of a mountain, and the weather up there was markedly different from down below. But January - February here is deep freeze with the arctic air sweeping through, and what makes it worse is the wind. March can do most anything but is usually on the cold side - cold with blasting wind, although things have thawed by the middle-end of March. I usually can't much more than thawed, although once in a while we'll get a nice warm-up by the end of March. I don't do any skiing or winter sports (although throwing an American football around in the snow can be fun, and as kids we'd get out and play in it), so the first day that I can get outside in shorts and short sleeve shirt to go for my run is cause for celebration!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »

rain today, but it looks like snow tomorrow:

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 12:43:59 PM »

We had hard rain now it's a rain/flurry mix if you will .........no big whup.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2014, 03:04:09 PM »

We got our first accumulation on Sat night; it was a bit less than an inch. The unusual early cold is a bigger issue. It won't get above the low 20's today or tomorrow.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »

The true sign of winter is people on the Atlas Forum bragging about how they are better equipped to handle the snow than people in less wintry regions to their south.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2014, 09:20:50 AM »

It's snowing now, boys.  Big wet flakes in copious quantity.  They're not sticking to the ground, because it rained all last night, but the weather channel predicts 3 to 6 inches to accumulate by tonight.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »

It's snowing now, boys.  Big wet flakes in copious quantity.  They're not sticking to the ground, because it rained all last night, but the weather channel predicts 3 to 6 inches to accumulate by tonight.
Any weather station that feels the it must name winter storms to gin up ratings has a few screws loose in my opinion.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »

angus' neck of the woods is going to get slammed

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2014/11/26/Snow-storm-shuts-down-Pennsylvania-government-offices-schools-to-the-east/stories/201411260233
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »

Some snow is now projected between MON & THU next week.

But I guess it won't be a lot. Probably only 10 inches or so.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 02:17:53 PM »

Thank God I have to work tonight, outside, in the snow.

RIP R2D2 Sad
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies