Do you support President Obama signing an executive order granting amnesty?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:59:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support President Obama signing an executive order granting amnesty?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support President Obama signing an executive order granting amnesty?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: Do you support President Obama signing an executive order granting amnesty?  (Read 2644 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »

Wish he would work with congress but that might not be a good idea. They will likely not legalize many people, if any. He can at least keep these people safe until the next election. After that it depends who is the next president, or if the Democrat runs against this.

Also, can someone explain how he would be providing these people with work permits? I understand how he can make deportation the lowest priority for the justice department, but how does he have authority to give them work permits?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:20:51 PM »

Unfortunately, I'm only allowed to vote 'yes' one time.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 06:40:59 PM »

And it should be added that Obama did something similar with the Dreamers a few years ago, including giving them work permits. Constitutionality should not be an issue here.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 11:43:44 PM »

Yes, but he doesn't have the guts to do it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 12:22:36 AM »

I don't really care what he does with the people here now, but the freaking border needs to be secure.  I don't even care if we let in everybody that wants to come in, but they shouldn't be able to do it by simply walking across the border.  It's not good for them and it's not good for us.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 04:46:16 AM »

I don't really care what he does with the people here now, but the freaking border needs to be secure.  I don't even care if we let in everybody that wants to come in, but they shouldn't be able to do it by simply walking across the border.  It's not good for them and it's not good for us.

muh lines on a map
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »

That is much easier said than done. What really needs to be done is to strictly enforce employment law and make E-verify a requirement. Making sure small businesses and contractors are following this law is the big challenge. If jobs still exist for illegal immigrants, they will continue to come. Strategic border fencing is fine (and mostly already done) but fencing up the whole border is a waste and inefficient use of resources.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 10:00:14 AM »

What does "secure" mean?  If you ask me our borders are secure.  We have more fences, border agents and money spent on border security than ever.  Even if we built a double layer fence across both our borders, people could still get into the country.  You can overstay a visa, you can arrive on a rickety boat, etc.  Unless you have a totalitarian state, there is going to at least the possibility of illegal immigration.

If you just legalize some type of immigration system that makes sense for our economy, and then use things like e-verify, you can cut off the pathway for people to want to come here illegally.  That would enable us to spend less on border security because they wouldn't be looking for people hoping to become busboys, they would just be looking for drug smugglers and such.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »

Yes (D)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 12:56:45 PM »

God no!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »

Yes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »

muh lines on a map
So, if lines on a map don't matter, doesn't that make Israeli settlements in Palestine legit?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »

Yes.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »

muh lines on a map
So, if lines on a map don't matter, doesn't that make Israeli settlements in Palestine legit?

No, it doesn't. But the Israeli settler-colonial project really can't be compared to what amounts to the economic dislocation of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people on account of the changing contours of capitalist social relations. Unless of course you think that the eradication of a group of people in order to grab their land and resources is the same as a former farmer put out of work by NAFTA moving north to land a job unloading a truck at Target, in which case, you're a moron, a racist, or a combination of the two.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »

muh lines on a map

No, it doesn't. But the Israeli settler-colonial project really can't be compared to what amounts to the economic dislocation of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people on account of the changing contours of capitalist social relations. Unless of course you think that the eradication of a group of people in order to grab their land and resources is the same as a former farmer put out of work by NAFTA moving north to land a job unloading a truck at Target, in which case, you're a moron, a racist, or a combination of the two.
A "line on the map" is the only thing the people of Palestine have. You can't just pick and choose where the Israeli/Palestine homeland ends and begins and not apply the same basic standards to Greece and Turkey, America and Mexico, or Chad and Libya.

The fact is, there comes a point where one nation ends and another begins. There comes a point where Israelis shouldn’t be allowed to colonize. There comes a point where you can’t enter a country without the proper legal requirements. It is neither possible nor right to deport twelve million people, but we certainly can stop future illegal entries (and make legal entry far easier) through the legislative process.  Lines on a map and the very concept of nations have greater purposes than “muh patriotism” and believe it or not, greedy capitalists are not plotting in the nearest corporate board room to “divide and conquer” the world by use of creating nations.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 02:02:53 PM »

Yes
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »

The best argument in this whole disgusting thread. Especially the bolded part.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 04:43:46 PM »

Completely.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 05:37:29 PM »

Yes, but he doesn't have the guts to do it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 06:07:49 PM »

Wolverines34
Rookie
United States
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 06:34:02 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 12:48:39 AM »

That is much easier said than done. What really needs to be done is to strictly enforce employment law and make E-verify a requirement. Making sure small businesses and contractors are following this law is the big challenge. If jobs still exist for illegal immigrants, they will continue to come.
I agree with all that.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
We waste use resources inefficiently all the time.  The couple extra billion it would take to properly secure the border is nowhere near the most wasteful way we spend money.  Clearly the border can be more secure than it is now.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 06:57:12 AM »

That is much easier said than done. What really needs to be done is to strictly enforce employment law and make E-verify a requirement. Making sure small businesses and contractors are following this law is the big challenge. If jobs still exist for illegal immigrants, they will continue to come.
I agree with all that.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
We waste use resources inefficiently all the time.  The couple extra billion it would take to properly secure the border is nowhere near the most wasteful way we spend money.  Clearly the border can be more secure than it is now.

My point is that a more extensive wall won't even work to stop illegal immigration. People will find another way if the border itself becomes secure. You need to stop the reason those people are coming here, and that is jobs.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece