Do you support President Obama signing an executive order granting amnesty? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:38:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support President Obama signing an executive order granting amnesty? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support President Obama signing an executive order granting amnesty?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: Do you support President Obama signing an executive order granting amnesty?  (Read 2689 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: November 14, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »

Wish he would work with congress but that might not be a good idea. They will likely not legalize many people, if any. He can at least keep these people safe until the next election. After that it depends who is the next president, or if the Democrat runs against this.

Also, can someone explain how he would be providing these people with work permits? I understand how he can make deportation the lowest priority for the justice department, but how does he have authority to give them work permits?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:40:59 PM »

And it should be added that Obama did something similar with the Dreamers a few years ago, including giving them work permits. Constitutionality should not be an issue here.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »

I don't really care what he does with the people here now, but the freaking border needs to be secure.  I don't even care if we let in everybody that wants to come in, but they shouldn't be able to do it by simply walking across the border.  It's not good for them and it's not good for us.

That is much easier said than done. What really needs to be done is to strictly enforce employment law and make E-verify a requirement. Making sure small businesses and contractors are following this law is the big challenge. If jobs still exist for illegal immigrants, they will continue to come. Strategic border fencing is fine (and mostly already done) but fencing up the whole border is a waste and inefficient use of resources.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 06:57:12 AM »

I don't really care what he does with the people here now, but the freaking border needs to be secure.  I don't even care if we let in everybody that wants to come in, but they shouldn't be able to do it by simply walking across the border.  It's not good for them and it's not good for us.

That is much easier said than done. What really needs to be done is to strictly enforce employment law and make E-verify a requirement. Making sure small businesses and contractors are following this law is the big challenge. If jobs still exist for illegal immigrants, they will continue to come.
I agree with all that.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
We waste use resources inefficiently all the time.  The couple extra billion it would take to properly secure the border is nowhere near the most wasteful way we spend money.  Clearly the border can be more secure than it is now.

My point is that a more extensive wall won't even work to stop illegal immigration. People will find another way if the border itself becomes secure. You need to stop the reason those people are coming here, and that is jobs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies