Duckworth husband registers DuckworthforSenate.com
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:15:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Duckworth husband registers DuckworthforSenate.com
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Duckworth husband registers DuckworthforSenate.com  (Read 1578 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »

What makes Kirk so tough to beat? He barely won in 2010 and he's anonymous to the state, people on here seem to think he's the Chuck Grassley of Illinois. Kirk won't be able to use his military credentials against Duckworth effectively or his disability all of his strengths seem neutralized against her.

That's like saying Jeff Merkley wasn't safe because he barely won in 2008. Nobody thinks he's Chuck Grassley, you're arguing with no one.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »

Giannoulous came within 2 points of Kirk in 2010 despite being corrupt as hell I'd say she has a very strong chance of beating him.

3 women in the state of Illinois has won statewide office Madigan, Simon and Duckworth, I think she is the risk worth taking.

Nobody thought Schneider or Frenchis would come close in respective races, lets get this race started.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »

What makes Kirk so tough to beat? He barely won in 2010 and he's anonymous to the state, people on here seem to think he's the Chuck Grassley of Illinois. Kirk won't be able to use his military credentials against Duckworth effectively or his disability all of his strengths seem neutralized against her.

That's like saying Jeff Merkley wasn't safe because he barely won in 2008. Nobody thinks he's Chuck Grassley, you're arguing with no one.

Not at all. Merkley was against an incumbent in 2008, and Oregon favors his party, unlike Kirk.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 05:22:38 PM »

Not at all. Merkley was against an incumbent in 2008, and Oregon favors his party, unlike Kirk.

Ugh.

The point is, results in the past aren't necessarily predictive of results in the future.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »

Ugh.

The point is, results in the past aren't necessarily predictive of results in the future.

Of course. But I see absolutely nothing, either from the 2010 election or since then, to show that Kirk is capable of surviving in a presidential year that isn't a Republican wave. Basically, I've heard nothing from him since his re-election, besides the fact that he got some positive press for returning to work after a stroke.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 05:29:50 PM »

Ugh.

Of course. But I see absolutely nothing, either from the 2010 election or since then, to show that Kirk is capable of surviving in a presidential year that isn't a Republican wave. Basically, I've heard nothing from him since his re-election, besides the fact that he got some positive press for returning to work after a stroke.

Kirk is definitely an underdog in any situation. However, he's survived in a district (in 2006 and 2008, mind you) that is as liberal as Illinois is overall, so he isn't completely dead in the water. And it's probably a good thin for him that he's gotten that small bit of good press and nothing else, generally a Senator who makes a lot of noise does so in a not very positive way. I'd say he has a 30% chance of winning re-election, which is to say, it's narrow but not impossible.

It would certainly help if the Dem primary turns into a bloodbath, which is possible.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »

Ugh.

Kirk is definitely an underdog in any situation. However, he's survived in a district (in 2006 and 2008, mind you) that is as liberal as Illinois is overall, so he isn't completely dead in the water. And it's probably a good thin for him that he's gotten that small bit of good press and nothing else, generally a Senator who makes a lot of noise does so in a not very positive way. I'd say he has a 30% chance of winning re-election, which is to say, it's narrow but not impossible.

It would certainly help if the Dem primary turns into a bloodbath, which is possible.

Yeah, he was/is popular in his district, and had some fairly impressive wins. But he completely self destructed in 2010 as the lies about his military record came out, and he only barely managed to hold off Giannoulias in a low turnout massive Republican wave.

I think Kirk can win, if there's a) a Republican wave and/or b) Democrats nominate a horrible corrupt candidate again (which granted, is kind of a realistic possibility considering it's Illinois). But aside from that...
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 06:05:21 PM »

This site was registered in 2008, so hopefully she won't run. I mean I like her, great on paper, but she's not a great campaigner,
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies