Catholicism Fading in Latin America (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:03:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Catholicism Fading in Latin America (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catholicism Fading in Latin America  (Read 8177 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: November 15, 2014, 10:41:36 AM »

One other thing that surprised me was that about a 1/3 of the growth came from non-charismatic Protestants. I was under the impression that the growth was almost entirely Pentecostal in nature, but it appears the Baptists, Presbyterians et al. are growing as well.

Oh thank heavens.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 12:16:17 AM »

Evangelicalism continues to spread and ruin the world, news at 11.

It isn't ruining the world. If you want to see who's ruining the world, look at the folks who attacked the satire place in Paris.

The world can get ruined by multiple groups at once. That's the downside of being as big a place as the world is.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:18:21 PM »

I believe Brazil has a non-insignificant Lutheran population, as there were many German settlers there. Of course not all Lutherans are liberal...

Also I believe a bunch of the indigenous people in Guatemala are Methodist as their missionaries were pretty prevalent there, but I'll assume they're nowhere near as liberal as northern Methodist. But yeah there are mainline Protestants in Latin America.

Also it's not too uncommon here for Hispanics to be ELCA, not saying that most or a majority are, but it's common enough so that it's not considered weird or unusual. ELCA works with a lot of immigrants groups so some of them end up converting, and they get a decent number of first or second generation American converts too.

The idea of 'mainline' is less relevant outside a US-American context. The 'mainline' churches are those that at one time held a specific cultural and social position in American life.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 04:36:59 PM »

The growth in protestantism is all very disturbing. And if you are asking 'why?' then you should be aware that it's rather self explanatory.

Yep, those bible-reading/bible-believing Protestants are a real problem.

Characterizing one's type of Christianity as 'Bible-believing', by implication characterizing other types of Christianity as not so, is creepy. I say this as a Protestant.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 05:19:12 PM »

The growth in protestantism is all very disturbing. And if you are asking 'why?' then you should be aware that it's rather self explanatory.
Yep, those bible-reading/bible-believing Protestants are a real problem.
Characterizing one's type of Christianity as 'Bible-believing', by implication characterizing other types of Christianity as not so, is creepy. I say this as a Protestant.

To be clear, I wasn't saying there aren't Catholics who read their bibles, it is just that Protestants are generally more likely to be bible-readers and therefore bible-believing and therefore more likely to know what the bible says and therefore more likely to adhere to it...which has a slight tendency to be seen as offensive to the world.

And I say this as a Christian who accepts both Catholics and Protestants as brothers and who believes that scripture is the inspired word of God written down by the writers of the bible as they were carried along by the Spirit.

But, for those "Christians" who reject the bible as the world of God and go off and create their own religion, I don't have anything to do with them.  Believing that the bible is the word of God is the dividing line for it is written:

1Cor 14:36-38 Did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37 If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command. 38 But if anyone ignores this, they will themselves be ignored.

Okay. That at least makes more sense and is less needlessly exclusionary than the way I've usually heard the term 'Bible-believing' used.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 02:22:35 AM »

Latin American Marxists often don't feel the need to stop being Catholic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies