House Republicans considering another government shutdown over immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:59:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Republicans considering another government shutdown over immigration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: House Republicans considering another government shutdown over immigration  (Read 854 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/224244-shutdown-talk-grows-in-gop
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 02:33:10 PM »

Sure, why not?  The American public never punished them for the last one.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »

Are we really going to do this song and dance again?

Also, this is a wonderful way to appeal to Latinos, excellent job GOP.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »

This is why our party can't appeal to Latinos.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 03:15:31 PM »

Actually this is only one of a great many reasons for that Tongue
KCDem

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 03:25:14 PM »

The only electoral casualty of the shutdown was Lee Terry, embarrassingly enough. Junk American people!
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »

Lucky for you, they often don't vote anyway.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 03:33:09 PM »

The only electoral casualty of the shutdown was Lee Terry, embarrassingly enough. Junk American people!
Steve Southerland as well.

Anyways, this is a terrible idea. A government shutdown is only going to make things even worse. The House should just pass the senate's 2013 bill before it expires in January, and move on from this issue.

RR1997
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2014, 03:39:19 PM by RR1997 »

Even if they often don't vote anyways, I still think the GOP should change it's stance on immigration because the GOP's current stance is awful Tongue (I know I'm being a little selfish here).

Plus Latino turnout during presidential elections is increasing, which hurts our chances of victory if we don't do something about our problem with Hispanics (like not shutting down the government over immigration). Although I think that increased Latino turnout is a great thing. I encourage all American to vote.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »

Idiocy
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 03:42:28 PM »

Yup and if they don't do anything, Obama will keep issuing executive orders and vetos. If they shut down or totally defund the Government or impeach Obama, it turns out the base...or not.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »

lol
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 04:01:06 PM »

Oh crap. Has Obama triggered this too soon? They could shut down the government, get spanked in the polls, and reopen it with plenty of time to recover before the 2016 elections.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 04:09:57 PM »

Oh crap. Has Obama triggered this too soon? They could shut down the government, get spanked in the polls, and reopen it with plenty of time to recover before the 2016 elections.

It will probably only encourage them to do it multiple times, hopefully for Democrats including a shut down during 2016 itself.  And even if they are all early, I think a series of shutdowns would sustain the narrative in a way that it didn't in 2013.

Remember, even if the only lasting effect of a shutdown is that the GOP turns off another 10K-20K moderate federal employees in Northern Virginia, that could be decisive for Democrats come 2016.
hopper
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »

I think this is what Mark Levin proposed last night on his radio show. Its a terrible idea though to shut the government though over this. It makes the GOP brand toxic to Latino's.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »

It should make the GOP's brand toxic to everyone.
hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 06:00:30 PM »

It should make the GOP's brand toxic to everyone.
Well I don''t think so. The GOP still maintained their majorities in the US House and US Senate after the 1995 Government Shutdowns. They won a majority in the US Senate after the 2013 Government Shutdown and still maintained their US House Majority.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 06:03:17 PM »

I think this is what Mark Levin proposed last night on his radio show. Its a terrible idea though to shut the government though over this. It makes the GOP brand toxic to Latino's.
Mark Levin's show should be taken for what it's worth, comedy.

I think the problem is, some of these clowns can attribute their election to him.
hopper
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »

Mark Levin's show should be taken for what it's worth, comedy.

I think the problem is, some of these clowns can attribute their election to him.
I agree with Levin like on half the things he says but the other half I don't agree with.  Its like Ralph Nader I agree with half the things he says and the other half I don't agree with.

Well that was true in the case of Dave Brat's win over Eric Cantor. Levin did play an intregal part of Brat's victory just getting Brat's name out there for name recognition purposes I believe.

Getting immigration reformed passed is hard with the Levin, Ingraham and Coulter faction of the GOP against Immigration Reform. Coulter is a lot better on other issues than Immigration though like the need for Moderate Republicans in the party.
hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 06:39:57 PM »

Even if they often don't vote anyways, I still think the GOP should change it's stance on immigration because the GOP's current stance is awful Tongue (I know I'm being a little selfish here).

Plus Latino turnout during presidential elections is increasing, which hurts our chances of victory if we don't do something about our problem with Hispanics (like not shutting down the government over immigration). Although I think that increased Latino turnout is a great thing. I encourage all American to vote.
Well no some in the party are for immigration reform and some are against immigration reform. The split in the party over immigration creates tension I believe in Congress within the party and some in the latino community won't alone take  a second look at the party because the party can't get a coalition together for enough votes in favor of immigration reform.
hopper
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 06:43:05 PM »

It will probably only encourage them to do it multiple times, hopefully for Democrats including a shut down during 2016 itself.  And even if they are all early, I think a series of shutdowns would sustain the narrative in a way that it didn't in 2013.

Remember, even if the only lasting effect of a shutdown is that the GOP turns off another 10K-20K moderate federal employees in Northern Virginia, that could be decisive for Democrats come 2016.
You and "Gravis Marketing" are thinking too way fast I think.
hopper
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »

Lee Terry said something he shouldn't have said that's why he lost. Everybody knows on these boards that Terry might get defeated one of the these days and it happened.
hopper
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 06:49:44 PM »

Anyways, this is a terrible idea. A government shutdown is only going to make things even worse. The House should just pass the senate's 2013 bill before it expires in January, and move on from this issue.

Southerland's district always elected Centrist Democrats to Congress(even in an lean R district) prior to him being elected.
KCDem

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »

^I agree with Hopper. Southerland was just a mysoginistic jackass. Terry was an idiot and his "dang straight" shutdown comment doomed him.
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 06:56:17 PM »

I agree something like the 2013 Senate Bill they should pass but they won't Conservative Talk Radio will stop the bill from passing. I do believe Rush Limbaugh played an important part of the 2007 Immigration Bill not passing.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies