NV Congressional Races 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:04:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NV Congressional Races 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: NV Congressional Races 2016  (Read 31177 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

If Sandoval does run, Reid will lose in a landslide. Most likely 60%-40%.

No. That would not be the case.
Yup. Everyone likes to assume that Sandoval would crush Reid but that's anything but the truth. Reid is ruthless and would tear Sandoval's reputation to shreds and bring down the full force of his machine, so even if Sandoval did win he'd no longer be insanely popular, and it would certainly be very close.

I say it would be like the 1988 race, where popular Governor Richard Bryan defeated incumbent Senator Chic Hecht by a mere 4 points despite Hecht being wildly unpopular.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2014, 06:57:14 PM »

Reid's main focus would be to drive Sandoval's favorables down early and he would have a good opportunity to do that. With Republicans in control of the Senate, that makes it a little easier for Reid to play defense and tie Sandoval to ineffective leadership.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »

Sandoval: no timetable, session most important.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2014, 06:11:42 PM »

Reid's main focus would be to drive Sandoval's favorables down early and he would have a good opportunity to do that. With Republicans in control of the Senate, that makes it a little easier for Reid to play defense and tie Sandoval to ineffective leadership.

Wouldn't it be much easier for Sandoval to tie Reid to ineffective leadership, since Reid is, unlike Sandoval, an ineffective leader?

Sandoval, of course, has no need to dirty himself trying to get Reid's favorables down; they're already horrendous. The optics of Sandoval running a positive campaign in the face of Reid's negativity would also be fantastic for Reid, I'm sure.
KCDem

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2014, 06:21:02 PM »

Wouldn't it be much easier for Sandoval to tie Reid to ineffective leadership, since Reid is, unlike Sandoval, an ineffective leader?

Sandoval, of course, has no need to dirty himself trying to get Reid's favorables down; they're already horrendous. The optics of Sandoval running a positive campaign in the face of Reid's negativity would also be fantastic for Reid, I'm sure.

In what way has Reid been ineffective. From a Democrat's perspective he's been extremely effective at trolling McConnell.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2015, 01:59:50 PM »

Ralston predicts Reid is still in and Sandoval still out. Reid scheduling fundraisers, speculation about retirement continues.

An interesting scenario is if Reid retires and Sandoval doesn't run, so Masto v. Krolicki or Roberson.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 08:15:10 AM »

Krolicki said he'll consider running if Sandoval doesn't.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2015, 05:07:28 PM »

Let's not throw away another opportunity to defeat him on a lousy candidate like Angle.  Then again, I heard that he may retire, which changes everything.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2015, 03:05:50 PM »

Sandoval all but told Ralston yesterday he isn't running. "Do you really think, if this is my last session as governor, I would propose the things that I proposed last night, thinking I might be on a ballot?" Krolicki would still be a solid candidate though.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »

Hutchinson and Krolicki would be great alternatives to Sandoval. The best alternative to Sandoval would be Joe Heck, but unfortunately he's said outright he isn't running.

I would really like to see Sandoval change his mind. He's the only one who would be a strong favorite against reid. The rest of the good options are only slight favorites or at just a 50-50 chance of victory.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2015, 04:07:25 PM »

Hutchinson has strong backing and support from state GOP, but he's not the best debater and tends to lean on the angry side. I feel like Reid would know how to push his buttons.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »

Krolicki has a personal grudge against Reid and long-standing senatorial ambitions. If Sandoval and the House GOPers are all out, I would love to see the state GOP unite against Krolicki. Krolicki v. Reid would be a vicious, no-holds-barred race.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2015, 07:32:57 PM »

Which Reid would totally win, based on the coattails.

I'm just not seeing anyone other than Sandoval having much chance.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »

I don't know why people keep insisting that Reid is a shoo-in when he only squeaked out a win against the single worst candidate republicans could have nominated. He's one of the least popular senators in the country in a pretty swingy state and he's only getting more frail and senile.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2015, 10:22:53 PM »

Coattails of what? Heller won in 2012 even as Obama won up-ticket. Obama is stronger than Hillary in these western states (Colorado is most prominent, but the same effect should apply here), and Nevada voters broadly disapprove of Reid. On paper Reid should lose.

Of course Reid is very good at taking down his opponents, which is why he may still win -- in fact, he may have engineered the indictment of Krolicki back in 2010 to keep him out of the race. Reid definitely fears Krolicki.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2015, 10:26:55 PM »

There are very rarely variances partisan between a presidential result and a Senate result involving an incumbent. It happened in Alaska, but that involved an indictment.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2015, 10:51:58 PM »

I don't know why people keep insisting that Reid is a shoo-in when he only squeaked out a win against the single worst candidate republicans could have nominated. He's one of the least popular senators in the country in a pretty swingy state and he's only getting more frail and senile.

People think Reid has this masterful turnout machine or something that can work wonders. Well, if he has such a machine, where was it in 2012 when Shelley Berkeley lost? Where was it last year, when the republicans swept the statewide offices, won all 3 winnable U.S. House seats, and got majorities in both houses of the Nevada legislature - including picking up several seats that were never supposed to have real risk of flipping. Reid's turnout machine simply doesn't exist - he only won in 2010 because he was running against a michele-bachmann type lunatic. Reid is unpopular, ineffective in the senate, and probably easy to attack.

A Reid vs. Sandoval Race would be Likely R to start. A Reid vs. Hutchinson/Krolicki/Heck/Amodei race would be Lean R to start. Reid vs. Roberson/Brower/Beers would start at Toss-Up.

Reid would start at Lean D over one of the 'accidental constitutional officers' (Laxalt/Cegavske/Schwartz/Knecht), but even one of them could very well beat him in the right situation.

Knives
solopop
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2015, 11:22:30 PM »

People think Reid has this masterful turnout machine or something that can work wonders. Well, if he has such a machine, where was it in 2012 when Shelley Berkeley lost? Where was it last year, when the republicans swept the statewide offices, won all 3 winnable U.S. House seats, and got majorities in both houses of the Nevada legislature - including picking up several seats that were never supposed to have real risk of flipping. Reid's turnout machine simply doesn't exist - he only won in 2010 because he was running against a michele-bachmann type lunatic. Reid is unpopular, ineffective in the senate, and probably easy to attack.

A Reid vs. Sandoval Race would be Likely R to start. A Reid vs. Hutchinson/Krolicki/Heck/Amodei race would be Lean R to start. Reid vs. Roberson/Brower/Beers would start at Toss-Up.

Reid would start at Lean D over one of the 'accidental constitutional officers' (Laxalt/Cegavske/Schwartz/Knecht), but even one of them could very well beat him in the right situation.

Shelley Berkley is no Harry Reid and 2014 is no 2010...
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2015, 09:37:04 AM »

Shelley Berkley is no Harry Reid and 2014 is no 2010...
You're right, Berkley was much more with it than Reid is currently. Like Wulfric said the "turnout Machine" is a myth and Reid probably isn't in the physical or mental shape to campaign as strongly as he used to.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »

Reid is "fully intending to run at this stage."
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »

Reid told staff he's definitely running. Ralston thinks Roberson is Reid's likeliest opponent.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »

Ralston says Reid is probably running but for the first time he's hearing very faint doubts. Roberson will be the Pub candidate and will announce after the session finishes in June. Problems are that Roberson is little-known, has never been in a pressure cooker, could be severely damaged if Sandoval's agenda fails, and is thin-skinned. Plus Roberson will have a primary - it could be former LV councilman Beers, who's already running, or one of the row officers (only names Laxalt).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2015, 03:10:11 PM »

Would Reid retiring actually improve Dem odds of holding the seat? I'm leaning yes due to his awful approval ratings.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »

Reid's hated but Masto wouldn't have his skillset.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »

What happened to Krolicki? Is he still thinking of running? Couldn't he beat Roberson in a primary?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies