Update-opoly sign up
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:19:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Update-opoly sign up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Update-opoly sign up  (Read 3223 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »
« edited: November 24, 2014, 01:24:17 AM by Joe Republic »

The first round of Update-opoly will soon begin, but first let's figure out who's playing!

As with regular Monopoly, the maximum advisable number of players is 8.  There are ten available tokens to choose from:

A choo choo train from Albuquerque, NM
The Undeniable and 100% Factual Word of God
A delicious and healthy double cheeseburger (only 300 calories!)

A Christmas Tree to focus on
Your remedies
A clock to watch

J.J./Blondie (RIP)
A comfy pillow upon which to rest a weary, hurtin' head
Prof. Russell Q. Powers atop a sick snowmobile

A vital tool of your trade

Places in the game - and the choice of token - are first come, first served.  That said, I'll happily reserve a spot for Our Dear Friend if he wishes (at the cost of the eighth player to sign up, that is).

I'm also open to the idea of Teams playing under a single token.  So, if somebody desperately wants to play but all the spots have been filled, then if an existing player is willing, they can accept the new player into a Team.  This might come in handy if a player needs to take time off the forum, then his team-mate can step in to fulfill any requests or make 'business decisions'.

So... who's in?

PLAYER     TOKEN
1. OakvaleBible
2. Dallasfan65Pillow
3. SomebodyWhoExistsCheeseburger
4. Bacon KingTrain
5. BoreClock
6. AndrewCTJ.J./Blondie
7. JerryArkansasSnowmobile
8. KingPill bottle
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 04:53:06 PM »

I will be the Bible, please, Joe.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 04:53:38 PM »

I'll be the pillow. Assuming I can play, of course Grin
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »

I'll play with the cheeseburger
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 04:54:09 PM »

Choo choo train!
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 04:55:27 PM »

I'll be the clock please
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 05:07:20 PM »

I'll be JJ
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »

I want the great Rush Powers.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 05:12:47 PM »

Pill bottle.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »

Christmas tree.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »

I'll be whatever's left. The call center headset?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »

I'll take whatever is left
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »

Looks like Snowstalker took the last spot, anyone wanna join me on Team Albuquerque Chop Chop?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »

Looks like Snowstalker took the last spot, anyone wanna join me on Team Albuquerque Chop Chop?

Absolutely!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »

I wish to be on our team as a ground strategist here at ABQ Choo Choo.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 06:32:49 PM »

After remembering that I don't even like Monopoly, I will drop out. Pill is free.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 06:46:40 PM »

After remembering that I don't even like Monopoly, I will drop out. Pill is free.

Stealin' pills.

I'm in.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 08:03:10 PM »

Absolutely!

Welcome aboard!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2014, 01:08:10 AM by Joe Republic »

That filled up fast!  Cheesy  Looks like Our Dear Friend will be sitting this one out.  Next time, perhaps!

Meanwhile, Game I is now underway!

The first order of business is to go over some of the rules.  For the most part, the rules are identical to the standard game of Monopoly.  Here's a handy reference guide on the official rules, and I hope to King Jesus that you have at least played one game of Monopoly at some point in your life or so help me god there's gunna be a whuppin'

BUT, just like with any real game, there's always house rules!  I'm going to float some ideas for some adapted rules for this game, and invite the players to suggest any of their own, and then we'll have a vote.

House Rules suggestions:

1. Any and all fines and taxes go into a Free Parking ('Free Gas' in Update-opoly) fund.  Whoever lands on Free Gas wins the accumulated pool of cash.  If the pool is empty, they win nothing.

2. The last unsold property goes into the Free Gas pool as well.  If somebody lands on that property after it has gone into Free Gas, they may still purchase it at regular price.  But if they land on Free Gas, they win it for free instead.

3. If you land on Go, you collect $400 instead of $200.  This includes instructions given by Trust Jesus or Papa's Retirement Fund cards to 'Advance to Go'.

4. All players must each move around the board once before they can purchase any properties.  (Alternatively, all players must wait until just one player has moved around the entire board once.)  A trip to jail ('Sleep') does not count as traveling around the board, so that player will still need to pass Go after leaving jail to qualify as having fully moved around the board.

5. If a player chooses not to (or cannot afford to) purchase a property, then rather than have it go to auction, it remains unsold for the next player to land on.  (Note: the plan for property auctions in this game is to have a 'silent auction' in which bids are sent privately to me, and the highest bidder wins.)

6. When landing on a Trust Jesus space, the player has the choice to either draw the card, or sit freely on the space and do nothing.  (An alternative choice would be that instead of a choice to do nothing, the player automatically pays a fine of, say, $50.)

7. If a player is in jail (asleep), they may not collect rent on any of their properties.

8. If one player accumulates a certain proportion of the overall money in the game (e.g. 80% of the combined total of cash and assets currently in play), they automatically win the game.

9. Trading properties between players has to wait until all properties are owned.

10. The availability of houses ('Credit Cards') and hotels ('Loans') remains limited, just as in the real board game.

11. Three property cards are dealt to each player at the beginning of the game (just to speed things up).

Any players have any other suggestions?  After a day or so I'll call a vote on all suggestions... and then we can get started!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 01:03:47 AM »

No other suggestions?  Fair enough.  Then I hereby do declare a Super OfficialTM Atlas ForumTM Vote on the OfficialTM House Rules for Update-opolyTM.

Players, please cast your votes!  (Red Albuquerque Choo Choo Team members, you can each cast a vote individually, because whatever who cares)

(1) Free Parking / 'Free Gas'  (Put an X in a box)

[  ] Any and all fines and taxes go into a Free Parking ('Free Gas' in Update-opoly) fund.  Whoever lands on Free Gas wins the accumulated pool of cash.  If the pool is empty, they win nothing.

[  ] Any and all fines and taxes go to the bank.  Nothing happens when a player lands on Free Gas.

(2) The last unsold property  (Put an X in a box)

[  ] The last unsold property goes into the Free Gas pool as well.  If somebody lands on that property after it has gone into Free Gas, they may still purchase it at regular price.  But if they land on Free Gas, they win it for free instead.

[  ] The last unsold property can only be sold when a player lands on it.

(3) Salary for landing on Go  (Rank your preferences, 1-3)

[  ] If you land on Go, you collect $400 instead of $200.  This includes instructions given by Trust Jesus or Papa's Retirement Fund cards to 'Advance to Go'.

[  ] If you land on Go, you collect $400 instead of $200.  However, instructions given by Trust Jesus or Papa's Retirement Fund cards are excluded, and you only get $200.

[  ] If you land on Go, you just collect $200.

(4) When players can begin purchasing properties   (Rank your preferences, 1-3)

[  ] All players must each move around the board once before they can purchase any properties.*

[  ] All players must wait until just one player has moved around the entire board once.*

[  ] Players may begin purchasing properties immediately after the game begins.

* A trip to jail ('Sleep') does not count as traveling around the board, so that player will still need to pass Go after leaving jail to qualify as having fully moved around the board.

(5) If a player chooses not to (or cannot afford to) purchase an unsold property they've landed on...  (Put an X in a box)

[  ] ... it remains unsold for the next player to land on.

[  ] ... it goes to a silent auction, in which players PM me a bid for the property.  Highest bid wins.

(6) When a player lands on a Trust Jesus space...  (Rank your preferences, 1-3)

[  ] ... the player must draw a card.

[  ] ... the player can choose to either draw a card, or sit freely on the space and do nothing.

[  ] ... the player can choose to either draw a card, or pay a $50 fine.

(7) Collecting rent while in jail ('asleep')  (Put an X in a box)

[  ] While asleep, players cannot collect rent on their properties.

[  ] While asleep, players can collect rent on their properties.

(8) Winning the game    (Rank your preferences, 1-4)

[  ] A player wins when all other players are bankrupt.

[  ] A player wins when they have accumulated 85% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[  ] A player wins when they have accumulated 80% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[  ] A player wins when they have accumulated 75% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

(9) Trading properties between players  (Put an X in a box)

[  ] Trading properties has to wait until all properties are owned.

[  ] Trading properties can begin at any point.

(10) Availability of houses and hotels ('credit cards' and 'loans', respectively)  (Put an X in a box)

[  ] Credit cards are limited to 32, and loans to 12.

[  ] There is no limit to credit cards and loans available to purchase.

(11) Issuing properties at the beginning of the game  (Put an X in a box)

[  ] Three property cards are randomly dealt to each player at the beginning of the game.

[  ] No properties are dealt at the beginning of the game.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 01:15:50 AM »

[ X ] Any and all fines and taxes go into a Free Parking ('Free Gas' in Update-opoly) fund.  Whoever lands on Free Gas wins the accumulated pool of cash.  If the pool is empty, they win nothing.

[  ] Any and all fines and taxes go to the bank.  Nothing happens when a player lands on Free Gas.

[  ] The last unsold property goes into the Free Gas pool as well.  If somebody lands on that property after it has gone into Free Gas, they may still purchase it at regular price.  But if they land on Free Gas, they win it for free instead.

[ X ] The last unsold property can only be sold when a player lands on it.

[ X ] If you land on Go, you collect $400 instead of $200.  This includes instructions given by Trust Jesus or Papa's Retirement Fund cards to 'Advance to Go'.

[  ] If you land on Go, you collect $400 instead of $200.  However, instructions given by Trust Jesus or Papa's Retirement Fund cards are excluded, and you only get $200.

[  ] All players must each move around the board once before they can purchase any properties.*

[ X ] All players must wait until just one player has moved around the entire board once.*

* A trip to jail ('Sleep') does not count as traveling around the board, so that player will still need to pass Go after leaving jail to qualify as having fully moved around the board.

(5) If a player chooses not to (or cannot afford to) purchase an unsold property they've landed on...  (Put an X in a box)

[ X ] ... it remains unsold for the next player to land on.

[  ] ... it goes to a silent auction, in which players PM me a bid for the property.  Highest bid wins.

[ X ] ... the player must draw a card.

[  ] ... the player can choose to either draw a card, or sit freely on the space and do nothing.

[ X ] While asleep, players cannot collect rent on their properties. (I vote this way because paying a landlord/bills necessitates a trip to the other apartment)

[  ] A player wins when all other players are bankrupt.

[  ] A player wins when they have accumulated 85% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[  ] A player wins when they have accumulated 80% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[ X ] A player wins when they have accumulated 75% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[ X ] Trading properties can begin at any point.

(10) Availability of houses and hotels ('credit cards' and 'loans', respectively)  (Put an X in a box)

[ X ] There is no limit to credit cards and loans available to purchase.

[  ] Three property cards are randomly dealt to each player at the beginning of the game.

[ X ] No properties are dealt at the beginning of the game.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 05:58:54 AM »

No other suggestions?  Fair enough.  Then I hereby do declare a Super OfficialTM Atlas ForumTM Vote on the OfficialTM House Rules for Update-opolyTM.

Players, please cast your votes!  (Red Albuquerque Choo Choo Team members, you can each cast a vote individually, because whatever who cares)

[ x ] Any and all fines and taxes go into a Free Parking ('Free Gas' in Update-opoly) fund.  Whoever lands on Free Gas wins the accumulated pool of cash.  If the pool is empty, they win nothing.

[ x ] The last unsold property goes into the Free Gas pool as well.  If somebody lands on that property after it has gone into Free Gas, they may still purchase it at regular price.  But if they land on Free Gas, they win it for free instead.

[2  ] If you land on Go, you collect $400 instead of $200.  This includes instructions given by Trust Jesus or Papa's Retirement Fund cards to 'Advance to Go'.

[1  ] If you land on Go, you collect $400 instead of $200.  However, instructions given by Trust Jesus or Papa's Retirement Fund cards are excluded, and you only get $200.

[3  ] If you land on Go, you just collect $200.

[ 1 ] All players must each move around the board once before they can purchase any properties.*

[  2] All players must wait until just one player has moved around the entire board once.*

[ 3 ] Players may begin purchasing properties immediately after the game begins.

[ x] ... it remains unsold for the next player to land on.

[ 1 ] ... the player must draw a card.

[ 3 ] ... the player can choose to either draw a card, or sit freely on the space and do nothing.

[  2] ... the player can choose to either draw a card, or pay a $50 fine.

[x  ] While asleep, players cannot collect rent on their properties.

[1  ] A player wins when all other players are bankrupt.

[ 3 ] A player wins when they have accumulated 85% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[  2] A player wins when they have accumulated 80% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[ 4 ] A player wins when they have accumulated 75% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[ x ] Trading properties has to wait until all properties are owned.

[ x ] There is no limit to credit cards and loans available to purchase.

[  x] No properties are dealt at the beginning of the game.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 07:02:16 AM »

[ x ] Any and all fines and taxes go into a Free Parking ('Free Gas' in Update-opoly) fund.  Whoever lands on Free Gas wins the accumulated pool of cash.  If the pool is empty, they win nothing.

[ x ] The last unsold property goes into the Free Gas pool as well.  If somebody lands on that property after it has gone into Free Gas, they may still purchase it at regular price.  But if they land on Free Gas, they win it for free instead.

[2  ] If you land on Go, you collect $400 instead of $200.  This includes instructions given by Trust Jesus or Papa's Retirement Fund cards to 'Advance to Go'.

[1  ] If you land on Go, you collect $400 instead of $200.  However, instructions given by Trust Jesus or Papa's Retirement Fund cards are excluded, and you only get $200.

[3  ] If you land on Go, you just collect $200.

[ 1 ] All players must each move around the board once before they can purchase any properties.*

[  2] All players must wait until just one player has moved around the entire board once.*

[ 3 ] Players may begin purchasing properties immediately after the game begins.

[ x] ... it remains unsold for the next player to land on.

[ 1 ] ... the player must draw a card.

[ 3 ] ... the player can choose to either draw a card, or sit freely on the space and do nothing.

[  2] ... the player can choose to either draw a card, or pay a $50 fine.

[x  ] While asleep, players cannot collect rent on their properties.

[1  ] A player wins when all other players are bankrupt.

[ 3 ] A player wins when they have accumulated 85% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[  2] A player wins when they have accumulated 80% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[ 4 ] A player wins when they have accumulated 75% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[ x ] Trading properties has to wait until all properties are owned.

[ x ] There is no limit to credit cards and loans available to purchase.

[  x] No properties are dealt at the beginning of the game.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 07:22:31 AM »

[X ] Any and all fines and taxes go into a Free Parking ('Free Gas' in Update-opoly) fund.  Whoever lands on Free Gas wins the accumulated pool of cash.  If the pool is empty, they win nothing.

[ X ] If you land on Go, you collect $400 instead of $200.  This includes instructions given by Trust Jesus or Papa's Retirement Fund cards to 'Advance to Go'.

[  ] All players must wait until just one player has moved around the entire board once.*

[ X ] Players may begin purchasing properties immediately after the game begins.

[X  ] ... it remains unsold for the next player to land on.

[ X ] While asleep, players cannot collect rent on their properties.

[ X ] A player wins when all other players are bankrupt.

[  ] A player wins when they have accumulated 75% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[ X ] No properties are dealt at the beginning of the game.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »

[ X ] Any and all fines and taxes go into a Free Parking ('Free Gas' in Update-opoly) fund.  Whoever lands on Free Gas wins the accumulated pool of cash.  If the pool is empty, they win nothing.

[ X ] All players must wait until just one player has moved around the entire board once.*

[ X ] ... it remains unsold for the next player to land on.

[ X ] While asleep, players cannot collect rent on their properties. (I vote this way because paying a landlord/bills necessitates a trip to the other apartment)

[ 1 ] A player wins when all other players are bankrupt.

[ 2 ] A player wins when they have accumulated 85% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[ 3 ] A player wins when they have accumulated 80% of the wealth (cash + assets) in play.

[ X ] No properties are dealt at the beginning of the game.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies