Midwest Gubernatorial Recall Election Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:39:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Midwest Gubernatorial Recall Election Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Midwest voters, who is you choice in the upcoming recall?
LeBron Fitzgerald

GAWorth

Not from the Midwest

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Midwest Gubernatorial Recall Election Poll  (Read 1317 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:52:13 PM »

Go.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »

Not from the Midwest but I obviously support LeBron
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:55:20 PM »

GAWorth obviously would get my endorsement in this scenario - I don't really agree with most of the proposals he's come out with, but he's obviously an improvement over the downright confusing and chaotic "management" of Governor Lebron. The Midwest needs a revival.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »

Not from the Midwest, but GAworth would easily be a great governor.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »

GAworth would make a great governor after LeBron leaves office.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 08:35:23 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2014, 11:47:38 AM by Cris »

If I'm not wrong, LeBron can't be a candidate.
There will be two questions: one on the recall of the Governor (Yes or No or Abstain) and another question on who should become Governor in his place (and LeBron can't be a candidate).
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 12:35:46 PM »

There will be two questions: one on the recall of the Governor (Yes or No or Abstain) and another question on who should become Governor in his place (and LeBron can't be a candidate).

That's technically the case but in practice it probably won't be much different to an actual election.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »

I support Fitzgerald at this point primarily because I loathe recall elections.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 03:57:45 PM »

It would make more sense for their to be the question on the recall first, then, if it passes have the actual election.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 03:59:40 PM »

It would make more sense for their to be the question on the recall first, then, if it passes have the actual election.

This is an interesting question.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »

Apparently in the Midwest you need 60% to successfully recall a governor. It'll be interesting to see what'd happen if say LeBron got 43% and GAWorth got 57% how he'd go forward. That probably would be even worse for him than losing outright.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 09:12:44 PM »

Apparently in the Midwest you need 60% to successfully recall a governor. It'll be interesting to see what'd happen if say LeBron got 43% and GAWorth got 57% how he'd go forward. That probably would be even worse for him than losing outright.

Should that happen, it would be best for the Governor to move on and resign. He would have no mandate.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »

Actually, our regional constitution says nothing about that, and there's no restriction against the governor running as a candidate. In fact, the most recent recall election a region had actually did that, so it's presumably unrestricted under the federal constitution as well.

The problem with doing that is that our Constitution implies that they'll be voted on simultaneously:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I won with majority support in my August and October races for Governor, and I have hope that the Midwest will make the right choice again this election.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2014, 10:58:50 PM by Lowly Griff »

What? Why are we muddying the water on the recall efforts? I've been a part of many a recall in my day - and witnessed plenty of others - and it's always been a scenario of

a) circulate petition; if threshold is reached, a recall vote occurs
b) a vote to recall is held; if threshold is reached, an election occurs,
c) people eligible to run for office compete in separate election

This combined recall/election concept makes zero sense. Clearly, a petition was circulated that has triggered a recall vote. Said vote will be held in a few days, and if 60% of people vote to recall, then there will be an additional vote with all of the declared candidates vying for the office.

"Along" in this case can also mean "in addition to", which can imply two separate votes. But I see that this region's Constitution is crap, too.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:06 PM »

So I thought about this, and maybe legal eagles can weigh in:

Have two concurrent votes - one on the recall itself and another that serves as an actual election in the event the recall is successful. We'll assume that the Governor cannot stand for election if he is recalled, so he would not be on the ballot in the election vote. In the event the recall is successful, then the results of the election are certified. If the recall fails, then the results of the election are void.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »

So I thought about this, and maybe legal eagles can weigh in:

Have two concurrent votes - one on the recall itself and another that serves as an actual election in the event the recall is successful. We'll assume that the Governor cannot stand for election if he is recalled, so he would not be on the ballot in the election vote. In the event the recall is successful, then the results of the election are certified. If the recall fails, then the results of the election are void.

I think a concurrent vote is a recipe for disaster. Lots of accusations of being confused and probably serious risks about the voters intent in the case of that confusion. A combined vote on the ballot COULD work. 

The petition to hold the vote has been achieved, but a petition is not a vote.

I think the easiest way is to have the ballot go

- Do you think Governor Fitz should be recalled
[ ]  Yes
[ ]  No

- If the Governor is recalled who would you vote for?
[ ] Governor Fitz
[ ] GAWorth

If the No wins, it goes no further. But if the Yes wins, then the second question gets counted.

I'd be very wary of assuming that Fitz has no right to run if recalled. He's been removed from the office, but that really is only removal pending a final vote. Granted most people who have been recalled, naturally, don't bother running as a candidate.

But yes, another constitution with gaping and massive holes in its language.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 06:31:38 PM »

The real question here is why the process isn't simply to require a higher signature threshold for the recall petition and, once that is achieved, proceed to a recall election. As is, there seems to be a three-step process

1. Petition for recall, achieve signature threshold
2. Vote on recall question,
3. (Simulatenously) vote in recall election

It would be interesting if FitzGerald was to run as a candidate to replace himself and got less votes than GAWorth but the recall question failed. It would be pretty crippling to any claim of a mandate, but legal.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 07:09:18 PM »

I feel like the Midwest has had f**ked up executive election procedures for as long as I can remember. Weren't elections for Governor of the Midwest once held on some sort of approval basis where the Governor had to have 70% disapproval in a vote, or something along those lines, and only then there was an election for his/her replacement?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 07:56:03 PM »

I feel like the Midwest has had f**ked up executive election procedures for as long as I can remember. Weren't elections for Governor of the Midwest once held on some sort of approval basis where the Governor had to have 70% disapproval in a vote, or something along those lines, and only then there was an election for his/her replacement?

And remember the vote every 6 months thingy you and others insisted on ( Angry ) that gave people the option to either revert to a universal legislature or keep the newly-formed Althing after we worked to get it off the ground? I still can't believe we got the MW to move away from the universal concept.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 10:21:09 PM »

I'm not in the Midwest but I don't see a good reason to recall the Governor. A recall can be good when the officeholder is failing in his duties to make the region function, such as not taking action when laws are passed by the assembly or if he becomes to inactive. I have not noticed he has not fulfill his duties as Governor.

The election took place not even a month ago. There wasn't even someone else who ran for the job. It's time to run at election time. What has happened in a couple of weeks that would justify a recall. The Governor seems to be active and filling his role. It looks more like a recall is happening because people have suddenly found someone to replace him. Not a great reason for a recall now. This should be at elections time.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »

I'm not in the Midwest but I don't see a good reason to recall the Governor. A recall can be good when the officeholder is failing in his duties to make the region function, such as not taking action when laws are passed by the assembly or if he becomes to inactive. I have not noticed he has not fulfill his duties as Governor.

The election took place not even a month ago. There wasn't even someone else who ran for the job. It's time to run at election time. What has happened in a couple of weeks that would justify a recall. The Governor seems to be active and filling his role. It looks more like a recall is happening because people have suddenly found someone to replace him. Not a great reason for a recall now. This should be at elections time.
Thanks for your support, Poirot! Yeah, I find it funny to how many Atlasian's are coming after me when I'm actually here, while Pacific Governor Simfan is returning from a very long absence with no reasonable explanation for his absence and everyone's perfectly okay with that. Even Averroes who supports the recall of me withdrew the articles of impeachment against Gov. Simfan.

I was elected twice already in my three month tenure as Governor, and I faced little or no opposition at all. August was a special election for Governor so I guess I can understand that, but October was regularly scheduled, people knew there was a Governor race taking place, and nobody decided to run against me. That's a pretty strong mandate if you ask me.

Let me just reassure everyone that there is nothing I've done that should allow for a recall. I'm currently taking a state & local government class in college and we discussed recall elections a few months ago. My professor said it best when the recall should only be an option if something's "unbecoming of the office", yet the reason's given by the organizer for the recall being triggered are for certifying election results while following all laws involved in counting and certifying votes, and I would like to remind everyone that Section III, Part (b) of the Midwest Constitution states that the Midwest Governor "oversees all elections." It's not the Chief Judicial Officer as some seem to think. The organizer and others are also calling for my recall for being aligned with a certain party, and for having a view on a certain topic. Those latter two have no affect on how I govern, and the results I certified are perfectly legal given the circumstances of that election. None of these things are unbecoming of this office.

I won't resign and I will stand by my strong record so far as Governor. I care too much about this region to give up on it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 06:26:36 AM »

I won't resign and I will stand by my strong record so far as Governor. I care too much about this region to give up on it.

RIP Midwest.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »

faced little opposition? you lost to a dead guy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »

There's only one sensible thing to do here:

RR1997
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 07:08:06 AM »

Missed the poll, but I would've voted for GAWorth.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies