The mess that is the Pacific (and its Constitution) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:19:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The mess that is the Pacific (and its Constitution) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The mess that is the Pacific (and its Constitution)  (Read 2278 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: November 17, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »

As the person mostly responsible for authoring this thing I'll try to provide some framer's intent (Tyrion contributed a great deal too but seems to be still be banned). I've already discussed most of this with Griffin privately but it's worth clearing the air a little in public.

1. Yes, the Pacific is specifically prohibited from legislating for recall elections. In the context of the time post-Rimjob it's worth remembering that we were literally holding tedious recall elections weekly and they were severely disrupting the functioning of the government. Granted in an extraordinary situation like this I can see the usefulness.

2. Impeachment votes need a majority (so, 2 Councillors) to vote in the affirmative in order to proceed to a public vote. Assuming Spamage and Nix are in office that would be enough.

3. Art. II §4 clearly does not indicate that Councillors automatically have their 'seats considered vacant' after an absence. Our intention in this clause was to allow Councillors to be expelled for 'poor behaviour', but not to allow Councillors to be expelled for ideological or political reasons, hence the suggested guidelines for a definition of 'poor behaviour'.

Sitting Councillors retain their seats until resignation, loss of re-election, retirement or expulsion by vote of the Council.

4. The lack of a Justice is troubling and deeply problematic. The Pacific Constitution was specifically written to allow for some leeway in judicial interpretation, something becomes moot without a Justice. It's also worth noting that the so-called Right To Life Act specifically contradicts the Women's Rights Amendment to the Pacific Constitution, authored and enacted by me and the rest of the Council this time last year.

Your second interpretation is the more accurate.

At this point the best thing to do is for Cllrs. Spamage and Averroes to impeach Simfan. Whoever is Speaker (Spamage?) will then become Acting Governor, and appoint a Pacific Justice. That Justice (stay with me!) will then open a voting booth for a proper gubernatorial election.

The Council problems can be then easily dealt with.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 02:08:17 PM »

Under the leadership of GAWorth, I think a melded Pacific-Midwest could work this time.

Yes, I hope so. My only condition has ever been that the new region retain the name The Pacific (where the overwhelming majority of our 'real life' citizens would live, and its unique non-directional character) and our state names. I'd be willing to accept the Midwest's Governor, Senator, local government and to keep their unique culture intact, too.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »

The Midwest and the Pacific already rejected the merge for the record.

Different circumstances. I voted against the merger last time but probably would vote in favour this time provided my condition were to be met.

e: I supposed it would be simpler if the 'mega-region' still had two Senate seats?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »

Bacon King: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=186155.0
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2014, 03:00:44 PM by oakvale »

Here's what a merger would look like if it were to happen today under my proposal. It would probably make sense to phase out tenth Senate seat at some point but that would take some time. The regions would remain as constitutional units, federally speaking, but in practice would have the same regional government.

Crudely-drawn infographic:

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 03:03:15 PM »

Here's what a merger would look like if it were to happen today under my proposal. It would probably make sense to phase out tenth Senate seat at some point but that would take some time. The regions would remain as constitutional units, federally speaking, but in practice would have the same regional government.

Crudely-drawn infographic:

So they would have still their 2 regional senators?

Yeah, in practice this would look like LeBron being Governor of the Midwest and Governor of the Pacific, but Cranberry and TNF remaining Senators for the Pacific and Midwest respectively.

This would be a temporary solution as we, hopefully, move towards a more elegant fix.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »

^ Maybe. The problem is that even at its best the Pacific has always struggled with activity. Part of that is because it was so often a monocultural region.

This may have all been covered before - I didn't follow the last great merger debate as closely as I might have because at that time I believed that it was unnecessary - that the Pacific could survive and thrive. I've since become convinced by the pro-merger line - that the population of Atlasia just can't support five active regions.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »

Why not just slim down Pacific government? Does it need a legal officer? Can't the Governor do what little work is required for that post? Does it need an elected legislature? Historically many regions - including the Pacific if memory serves - had general assembles of all citizens.

I've advocated for a Pacific legislature (rather than a universal one) for years but given the dire state of the region removing barriers to activity (like having to win a seat) might actually not be a bad idea. The converse proposition is that elections foster activity but that, er, objectively seems to have failed. I can admit when I was wrong.

If the mooted return of districts comes up, though, I'd like regional legislatures to have a say (and thus take on far more importance than a mere stepping stone to higher office) so perhaps rethinking the proposed merger at that point might be worthwhile.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »

The new region would be more than just the Pacific Coast and definitely not "the Midwest". I suggest calling the new region "West".

Thanks man, no-one's actually ever suggested that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies